PC keeps reseting

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
as title says my computer keeps reseting... this is what happens, it hangs then restarts for no aparant reason... however i dont think its a cooling problem(i have a fan at the front of my pc and i can feel cold air if i hover my hand around it...)

any ideas?

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
Does it restart when its just idle? Or when its running programs?

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Does it restart when its just idle? Or when its running programs?

errr... both, i think it happened while i was browsing fh, and last night when i was downloading torrents

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Theres quite a few possibilites, in my experience a fault or insufficient PSU usualy causes that. Could be a bit old n dusty or maybe you put some new hardware with greater power demand in, like a new GFX card, or just an extra drive or something?

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Theres quite a few possibilites, in my experience a fault or insufficient PSU usualy causes that. Could be a bit old n dusty or maybe you put some new hardware with greater power demand in, like a new GFX card, or just an extra drive or something?

*zoom* over my head

do you meen its new hardware fault? cause i havn't done anything...

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup And Recovery

...turn off 'Automatically Restart' in here and see if it gives you a stop code next time it happens.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup And Recovery

...turn off 'Automatically Restart' in here and see if it gives you a stop code next time it happens.

ty, tryed it nothing so far...

Thadius said:
Virus/spyware scanned?

no, ill do that now:)

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Was a nasty worm running about a few months back, made pcs reboot themseleves and generally was a pain

well, i done it... and i had a surprising amount of virus's ect im amazed my computer actually worked

guess time will tell if i fixed it or not, but even if it doesn't i suppose it wasn't a waste of time

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
*zoom* over my head

do you meen its new hardware fault? cause i havn't done anything...

Rephrased...

My guess is your power supply unit (the square thing in your PC near the back that you plug the power lead into) has died.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Rephrased...

My guess is your power supply unit (the square thing in your PC near the back that you plug the power lead into) has died.

but it works most of the time

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
just an update, its been running for 48 hours now, with no resets(it usually done it at 6am every day) looks like we've done it

thanks for all of your replys:D

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
boo:( it just happened again, but this time i got an error... apparently my computer was dumping physical memory, whats that?

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
untitled1vz1.jpg

i done a bit of research, but im a bit confuced

whats physical memory? - i think i know this
whats commit charge?
whats kernal memory?

from what i read physical memory is ram, but then why is it not the same as 'mem usage'?

and how do i free up physical memory?

could my problem be related to downloading 30gb torrents?

any help welcome...

ps. i suspect my pc will reset tonight, from what ive observed, nerf! so, im thinking of doing an all nighter, witch sucks cause ill be a complete **** at midday:(

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
physical memory seems to have stabilized... looks like i can go to bed yay!

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
untitled1vz1.jpg

i done a bit of research, but im a bit confuced

whats physical memory? - i think i know this
whats commit charge?
whats kernal memory?

from what i read physical memory is ram, but then why is it not the same as 'mem usage'?

and how do i free up physical memory?

physical memory = how much memory you 'physically' have , i.e. what sticks of ram you have in your machine added up. Looks like you got around 3/4 of a GB.

commit charge = how much memory you have... Now windows uses your disk drive or a 'swap file' to give you extra memory so in theory you dont usualy run out of memory on a PC, although using memory thats really disk is slooow. Youve used about half a gig of swap file, thats nothing to worry about, quite normal for windows. Your PC would improve with an extra half a gig of memory though!

Kernal memory is some portion of your physical ram that windows has grabbed to do 'special' stuff with like run windows.

None of this is of course relevent to your problem, and I cant add any more to help you than I did in my previous posts which you should re-read ;)

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
code red

im watching my windows task manager and my physical memory is dropping rapidly... i cant understand... im not running any programs except for the ones i always run... why doesn't my computer free up memory:-/ while my 'mem usage' isn't budging

im going to have to monitor my computer till it naturally resets:( could take hours, and i dont feel like staying up *crys*

im really confused...

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
wtf... now its increased 5 fold.... computers better gain emotions soon, or else someones going to get hurt...

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Programs change the amount they use memory all the time and windows sucks at optimizing memory usage - check processes -> memory usage to see which programs use most of it.

For the actual problem go to control panel -> admin tools -> log (?) -> system to see why your computer halts.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Programs change the amount they use memory all the time and windows sucks at optimizing memory usage - check processes -> memory usage to see which programs use most of it.

For the actual problem go to control panel -> admin tools -> log (?) -> system to see why your computer halts.

i might as well be staring into the abyss, it meens absolutly nothing to me, if i infact have the right tab:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom