Patches

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Just curious as to why we're always behind the US servers? Especially when 1.70 is known to be the most bugged and fecked up version there ever was.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
you've not been playing that long I take it? :)

All the european servers run on the same version (well excluding .it ;) but they'll be the same soon enough) You can play any of the european servers you want with your client.

Mythic make patch on pendragon, patch bits of it together, make more changes, put it on live. Run some readfiles, do some more patches, some via pendragon, some more readfiles. Eventually after a week or two (or a month or two ;) depending on the patch) the patch is considered stable.

At this point it's sent to GOA to translate. As well as the translation there are technical differences in the code that runs on the european platform, any problems found need to be fixed by mythic and new files sent across. Any bugs that show up need to be fixed and tested.

This all takes time. Hence patches are behind the US.

and 1.70 is no way the most bugged and fecked up version there ever was - that's 1.66 which we never saw here in europe.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Oh a week or two I dare say. Never been interested to find out.
Not being all nationalist here but why do they need to translate the patch from English ...to well, English for Pry/Exc. :) Do us first and then everyone else. :p

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
RS|Phil said:
Not being all nationalist here but why do they need to translate the patch from English ...to well, English for Pry/Exc. :) Do us first and then everyone else. :p

heh just this used to be the whine of choice for the first two years of daoc europe ;) less common these days.

There's reasons - maintaining different versions would be trickier, require another patch server, more staff and generally bump the cost right up.

That and being a month or two behind isn't really all that bad when you can avoid patches like 1.66 ;)

Gamah

Banned
RS|Phil said:

Because you would get all the frogs and germans on our servers testing out the new patch..I would rather they translated before releasing the patch to avoid that happening. I dont want to see

Pouvez vous épargner 1 or pour le déplacer par télépathie

or

können Sie 1 Gold für den Teleport ersparen

everywhere I go :)

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Yeh I know. Missing the odd patch or two has been nice.
I've played more than a week or two. Prolly got one of the oldest accounts around actually ; I've just never bothered with the community to be honest. :)

Yeh I know. Missing the odd patch or two has been nice.

So why couldn't we miss 1.70? The general consensus in the USA, and seemingly in the EU, is that it's arse.

PS I never whine. I occasionally constructively criticse though.

Gamah

Banned
I think GOA just wanted to get NF out (patch 1.70) ASAP...to get players back into daoc before EQ2 and *Glup* WoW reared there high polygon heads about.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
1.70 was the intro of NF, and took a lot more translating and programming. Coupled with 1.71, this would have taken longer, and more testing, ie more whinging from the community.

TBH, 1.70 is no more bugged than any other patch, again something repeated when a new patch comes out.

Im sure 1.71 isnt far off.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
old.Whoodoo said:
TBH, 1.70 is no more bugged than any other patch, again something repeated when a new patch comes out.

But it is though. There are many issues - To be honest people would have preferred to wait a bit longer and jump to 1.71. Especially in hindsight when you see how many people are jacking the game in.

Zenythe

[GOA] English Servers GM
You actually didn't get the 1.70 that the US did you got a 1.70 that had a pile of hotfixes and mini patches worked in. If you notice the US numbering system generally carry a letter after it as well (IE: 1.70d) while we here in Europe get numbers alone... that is because in our 1.70 all the subsiquent mini patches are already worked into the patch as a whole or at least through the fixes that we receive.

Alithiel

Fledgling Freddie
It's not that 1.70 is 'buggy' in particular... it's more that it's just a crap patch, and most of the fixes come in patches 1.71 and 1.72.

Personally I'd have been quite happy to have waited until the new year for 1.71 or 1.72 rather than see a significant proportion of the server, including many good friends and respected enemies, simply stop playing.

Ovi1

Fledgling Freddie
Zenythe said:
You actually didn't get the 1.70 that the US did you got a 1.70 that had a pile of hotfixes and mini patches worked in. If you notice the US numbering system generally carry a letter after it as well (IE: 1.70d) while we here in Europe get numbers alone... that is because in our 1.70 all the subsiquent mini patches are already worked into the patch as a whole or at least through the fixes that we receive.

NF wasn't properly "fixed" until 1.71 though, and those changes aren't hot fixed in :p

The simple answer to why we are always behind is politics. Mythic will not allow GoA on the same version due to it meaning that some incentive is taken away for people to play on the US servers instead, where Mythic get more of your subs.

The answer is the same as to why we didn't skip 1.70. If Eu servers skipped it then it could be seen as Mythic admitting it wasn't a very good patch. (polite version ...)

What will be interesting to see is the new agreement that GoA and Mythic have recently come to (Nothing public, but ...). GoA have obviously agreed to translate 2 further languages, Italian and Spanish, therefore generating more sales and monthlies, and needing a new agreement to be signed...

This would (hopefully?) give GoA a little more attention from Mythic due to the increased revenues they are responsible for, and also they don't have to compete with the seperate Italian distributors any more.

Recent news is suggesting that this new found attention will lead to quicker Eu release, despite more translations being done, and that we should expect Catacombs much quicker than NF arrived in the Eu. I would lay money (Only a small amount being the tight *** I am ...) that we still remain a patch level behind... we will get 1.73 (the Cat patch) soon after US get 1.74.

While we are making insights into the working of Mythic/Goa, what's the odds on the next "free" upgrade being crafting related? Assuming Mythic stick to the 1 free 1 paid upgrade per year ...

Sarnat

Fledgling Freddie
Luckily our 1.70 includes all the fixes that were made to it after 1.70 release in US...

I don't think the reason for us being behind is Mythic's will to keep us behind. Most likely it is the too-slow translation process. GOA doesn't recieve the files early enough, when they need to be integrated to the game Mythic has to do it, if there is a problem it needs to be fixed by GOA etc etc... Usually in this kind of arrangement GOA doesn't have any access to the code of the game and what not, so everything goes through Mythic and it all adds up to a large overhead in the translation process.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
To be honest, I cant see what bugs you refer to, there doesnt seem to be any fewer or more bugs than any other patch. The US complained about 1.70 the most because it was a transtion patch to NF, much the same as they moaned about TOA and SI before that. Each major patch or rework over there has many on going fixes, or hotfixes, and this process disrupts their gameplay, hence why they whinge more. We got a more finalised version of 1.70 than they ever did, and if you read the patch notes to 1.71, there are not really that many "fixes" but a lot of changes, so I cant see what your gripe is about the current one.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Alithiel said:
It's not that 1.70 is 'buggy' in particular... it's more that it's just a crap patch, and most of the fixes come in patches 1.71 and 1.72.

Personally I'd have been quite happy to have waited until the new year for 1.71 or 1.72 rather than see a significant proportion of the server, including many good friends and respected enemies, simply stop playing.

the amount of whine about "omg 136 days late!" etc. on here says: damned if they do damned if they don't ;)
People would have quit with 1.71 too...

the only major bug in 1.70 is the white names thing, which I got used to after about 2 hours playing... it's annoying but it's nothing I can't deal with.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
And the bugs in stealth, which let's face it, effects around 30% of people who play.

And ofc the realm unbalancing in 1.70 that doesn't get addressed till 1.71.

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
RS|Phil said:
And ofc the realm unbalancing in 1.70 that doesn't get addressed till 1.71.

Before NF was released people were screaming for GoA to hurry up and dish it out, now its out people are annoyed they didnt wait untill 1.71

again..damned if they do, damned if they dont.

cant have it both ways.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Neffneff said:
Before NF was released people were screaming for GoA to hurry up and dish it out, now its out people are annoyed they didnt wait untill 1.71

again..damned if they do, damned if they dont.

cant have it both ways.

T'would have been wiser to wait. People will forebear if they don't know what's coming. They're prettty intollerant of pap.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
RS|Phil said:
T'would have been wiser to wait. People will forebear if they don't know what's coming. They're prettty intollerant of pap.
I can tell youre new to FH, and the constant whine about how long patches take etc etc drivel etc. People on here are not patient at all, they want it all and yesterday! As for bugs, well so far I can see only the names thing and your issue with stealth, which I cant say I know what your refering too, being a stealther I have no problems, and cant say Ive heard anyone else mention it either (nor on the internal GOA boards I hasten to add). The pap you refer to is in every patch, not just 1.70, bug fixes are always in the next one, and I do think some bugs you think of are really called balancing issues.

GOA hadnt long got the code for 1.70 when the final 1.71 was released in the US, so they still had to wait for Mythic to cough up the goods. So if another 6-8 weeks went passed before the combined 1.70-1.71 patch came, there would be ten times more people throwing their rattles out of the pram because we were even further behind.

Like NeffNeff said, you cant please all the people all the time.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
People walking round stealthed on the ground and being seen by archers from the tops of level 10 towers. There's a reference to it somewhere and also a reply saying its an issue that's fixed soon. Even my mate's RM can sometimes see scouts when he's on a tower.

I aren't new to FH its just that I tend to read the first three replies and if it turns into a bitching contest and I don't read the rest of the thread.

It's interesting, though, that if one is patient and ignores the silly people how easy it is to find decent conversation.

One thing I wonder though is why people are always saying to each other " I can see you're new to FH/Game/WTF DO YOU KNOW NOOB" :)

Cirandi

One of Freddy's beloved
old.Whoodoo said:
throwing their rattles out of the pram.

Well said :D

And i totally agree, i can't think of any special bug that i'd really, really like fixed apart from the names thingie. That's just a bit annoying though and nothing i can't live with.

Still, can't wait until 1.71... I have 5 50's with 17 artifacts spread among them. Gifv easier arti xp'ing :touch:

Ovi1

Fledgling Freddie
old.Whoodoo said:
To be honest, I cant see what bugs you refer to, there doesnt seem to be any fewer or more bugs than any other patch. The US complained about 1.70 the most because it was a transtion patch to NF, much the same as they moaned about TOA and SI before that. Each major patch or rework over there has many on going fixes, or hotfixes, and this process disrupts their gameplay, hence why they whinge more. We got a more finalised version of 1.70 than they ever did, and if you read the patch notes to 1.71, there are not really that many "fixes" but a lot of changes, so I cant see what your gripe is about the current one.

It's not bugs which are the gripe, it's the balancing changes that are introduced in 1.71 that stop Alb dominating that are the gripe.

As it happens my Realm, Hib/Pryd, has done better than any of us expected so this hasn't been such an issue for us. I bet the Mids on Pryd feel different, and anyone who isn't an Alb on Excal ...

There is also no reason, given the length of time we were behind the US, that they couldn't have released 1.71 instead of 1.70 without any further delay, as you said they didn't get the 1.70 code much before 1,71 was released, so GoA/Mythic could have gone for 1.71 without "much" of a delay, if any. What it does mean is that 1.71 is delayed further by the fact that 2 patches have had to be translated instead of 1.

The main reason NF was so much behind the US, was the amount of patches that were done to 1.70, I think it was at least a month after release that Mythic finished patching it...

Cirandi

One of Freddy's beloved
Ovi1 said:
It's not bugs which are the gripe, it's the balancing changes that are introduced in 1.71 that stop Alb dominating that are the gripe.

As it happens my Realm, Hib/Pryd, has done better than any of us expected so this hasn't been such an issue for us. I bet the Mids on Pryd feel different, and anyone who isn't an Alb on Excal ...

There is also no reason, given the length of time we were behind the US, that they couldn't have released 1.71 instead of 1.70 without any further delay, as you said they didn't get the 1.70 code much before 1,71 was released, so GoA/Mythic could have gone for 1.71 without "much" of a delay, if any. What it does mean is that 1.71 is delayed further by the fact that 2 patches have had to be translated instead of 1.

The main reason NF was so much behind the US, was the amount of patches that were done to 1.70, I think it was at least a month after release that Mythic finished patching it...

Look!! You almost answered your own question!!

This thread was obviously unnecessary :D

Ovi1

Fledgling Freddie
Cirandi said:
Look!! You almost answered your own question!!

This thread was obviously unnecessary :D

Cool, I answered my own question... now if only I could find what question I asked :eek:

/em wanders off to search for the elusive ?

Gamah

Banned
RS|Phil said:
People walking round stealthed on the ground and being seen by archers from the tops of level 10 towers. There's a reference to it somewhere and also a reply saying its an issue that's fixed soon. Even my mate's RM can sometimes see scouts when he's on a tower.

I aren't new to FH its just that I tend to read the first three replies and if it turns into a bitching contest and I don't read the rest of the thread.

It's interesting, though, that if one is patient and ignores the silly people how easy it is to find decent conversation.

One thing I wonder though is why people are always saying to each other " I can see you're new to FH/Game/WTF DO YOU KNOW NOOB" :)

I dont think he ment it in patronising way..I commend you for not readin past the flame and whine...must only read about 1 post on this forum then :)...

As far as the seeing stealthers at clipped, that is a very annoying bug :<...some ranger shot me from clipping range the other day, fair enough my 43 stealth as a minstrel is rubbish but not sure how a ranger can see me from 1600 away oO...Probably bug abusing but we all do it at some point..be it strafe in a fight or run though a caster.

Strafers piss me off so much...but I am guilty of it myself, if I have a bad day I will sometimes strafe to win...so I don't have a right to flame about it...anywhoooooooooo

RS|Phil whoodoo didn't mean it in a lame way, and the stealth clip bug is annoying but doesn't happen always.

Cirandi

One of Freddy's beloved
Ze question:

RS|Phil in the first post said:
Just curious as to why we're always behind the US servers? Especially when 1.70 is known to be the most bugged and fecked up version there ever was.

And the answer:

RS|Phil in the last post said:

And there you have it.

Ovi1

Fledgling Freddie
Cirandi said:
Ze question:

And the answer:

And there you have it.

Hmmm, think you have posters mixed up :p

You quoted me, and the question wasn't posted by me ... the answer was even though your quote attributes it to someone else ...

If that makes sense :eek:

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Gamah said:
Pouvez vous épargner 1 or pour le déplacer par télépathie

or

können Sie 1 Gold für den Teleport ersparen

I suspect beggars are much the same the world over...what you'd actually see would be

DONNEZ-MOI G PLZZZZZZZ

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Gamah said:
I dont think he ment it in patronising way..I commend you for not readin past the flame and whine...must only read about 1 post on this forum then :)...

RS|Phil whoodoo didn't mean it in a lame way, and the stealth clip bug is annoying but doesn't happen always.

Yeah, sorry if he took it that I'd interpretted it as such. Just got up and was a bit fuzzy brained. So no I didn't think he did.

The stealth bug is very silly. There's no way anyone can see you from that range. Couple with the re-making of MoS people are well and truly confused. For people who play a stealth class as a mian it was a dark time (especially when not a lot of info. is forthcoming that its even a bug).

As for not reading the flames. I find there are four types of threads.

1> A flame and whine thread -- Where the initial post is a whine or a flame and each post thereafter just gets worse and worse. Easy to ignore these rather unfortunate wastes of database space

2> A constructively criticising thread -- This elicits a few interesting responses and the occasional lunatic who just posts something along the lines of " WHO ARE YOU ? I DONT KNOW U! WASTE OF A THREAD! GG n000B"
Most of the time you can "sift" these again unfortunate posts out and still get the gist of the original topic

3> The entirely serious and sensible thread -- One with no whines, no swearing at people for the sake of it, and is generally well thought out and informative. This is a thread of the rarest order and in fact, if you ever see one, you might want to screen shot it and save it.

4> The hi-jacked thread -- This saddest of all threads. Once it started out as a 1> or perhaps even a 3> but unfortunately the Freddy's House E-krew have demolished it totally. A sad tale indeed.

I believe this to be a 2> because of the generally good nature of it, and the discussion, but a few posts of "Pointless thread!!" and "Stop whining!" are evidenced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom