Patch size and 56k connections

M

madferrit

the 1.49 is coming fast!
[08-01-2002]

'Do not be surprised if you find yourself downloading 9Mb of art files on your next connection'.

'The rest of the patch (around 7Mb) will be for the patch day'

(ok now i dont need any smart arsed responses alongs the line of 'get broadband' etc, coz atm my company pays for my 56k (which does nicely for now, but it is BT and i have the 2 hour cutoff) and as its free... so thats what im using.)

HOWEVER! as most ppl will undoubtedly know, on a 56k line, 1 Mb download takes AGES, let alone 9mb :eek: so my question is, if/when i get my 2 hour cut off, will i be able to continue my patch from that point, or is it start again from scratch?

Please .. PLEASE... let it be the former!

thx in adavance

J

Jupitus

The way the patch works is to inspect the files you have in your Camelot folder, and then download those which are different on the patch server. This means that rather than downloading one large 9Mb file, you will be downloading a series of smaller files.

If you disconnect, when you reconnect and try to login again the patcher will no longer need to update the files already done, and will carry on with the file you disconnected on (albeit from the start of that one) and carry on.

Should be fine, in otherwords :)

Jup.

V

Vell

You'll be able to continue from the point you stopped.
However, I've been downloading this patch, 8.3mb, started ten minutes ago and now up to 40%, so it's really not taking as long as you might think. I'm on 56k too.

A

Alrindel

Just for information, connecting to the US servers and patching 1.48 to 1.51 required about a 25MB download. I have a feeling MOST of that was Darkness Falls. So there will still be more to download before patch day.

X

Xgkkp

Well, On 56k 1 Megabyte takes 5 minutes, so this 8mb will only take about 40 minutes, well below the cut-off time.

(online 20mins and..... 50%)

M

madferrit

K thx all, i can go home, log on and not wince too much :)

O

oldnick

Well i started when i started this thread and im ...46%

ADSL rox

prolly be finished before this post appears

Nick

K

kr0n

took me 'bout 30 secs to download it... well it came a bit faster but im just saying, GET BROADBAND ;)

O

old.dittytwo

OMG BORADBAND ROCKS

I WILL NEVE GO BAcK TO THE "56K's"

W

wolvon fury

w00t for AOL broadband:clap: :clap:

only took me about 1min

W

wolvon fury

Am there lab-rat, no one elses uses it, i wonder why:rolleyes:

O