Parry Cap

Coriolanus

Fledgling Freddie
I remember that block is capped at 95% or something similar with the largest shields. Does anyone if parry is likewise capped? If one has say 40+11 + RR parry, and MoParry III, would that produce the same parry probabiliy as MoParry II?

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Coriolanus said:
I remember that block is capped at 95% or something similar with the largest shields. Does anyone if parry is likewise capped? If one has say 40+11 + RR parry, and MoParry III, would that produce the same parry probabiliy as MoParry II?

whats your RR and ill give you the answer...

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
MOParry III, w/ 101dex
63.3% fully buffed, 10 dex points at creation
51.6% 10 dex points at creation

MOParry II, w/ 101dex
58.3% fully buffed, 10 dex points at creation
46.6% 10 dex points at creation

so... no you need ALOT more parry for MOParry to be that effective

Sorce: http://daoctb.sourceforge.net/

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Block and parry is capped at 90.6 %

With rr8, 50 + 11 block, 101 dex, mobo5 aug dex 5 fully buffed saracen with +10 dex put in beginning. You will get a block percentage of 87.7

Same goes for parry, but moParry 5 instead

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Think you will find parry is capped at 50%, same as evade was, if the grab bags are to be believed.

According to that char plan im supposed to have a 68% chance to parry which I find very hard to believe as well.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Now lets just hold everything!

I was under the impression that all shields had the same block rate regardless of size, however the larger ones were able to block more attacks at once.

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Jeros said:
Now lets just hold everything!

I was under the impression that all shields had the same block rate regardless of size, however the larger ones were able to block more attacks at once.

You are correct, size of the shield is only relivent towards number of attackers I believe and of cause swing speed.
Though im sure someone with more interest in shields can give you a more detailed explanation on them.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
the bigger the slower...
the bigger the more they can chain block...
the bigger the more it costs to slam...

50%... does the same go for blocking?

cadwaladr

Loyal Freddie
I remember hearing in a grab bag the block/parry/evade are all capped at 50% after some arcane calculation that figures in the attackers wep skill and other things like 2handed vs parry, or dw vs block. Of course as Kagato says thats if a grab bag got sumat right

Deerstalker

Fledgling Freddie
Kagato said:
You are correct, size of the shield is only relivent towards number of attackers I believe and of cause swing speed.
Though im sure someone with more interest in shields can give you a more detailed explanation on them.

It's attacks per mob / player that the shield is limited to , any buffed scout with 42 shield can attest to blocking 5+ mobs in a single round,

Dual wielders , you only get the chance to block one of thier attacks at 50% reduction in chance to block.
Medium shield can have a chance to block both attacks, but at 50% reduction
Large shield can have a chance to block all of tripple wielders at 50% reduction

As far as I can tell the CL parry buff, doesn't give you the chance to block both , but rather a 5% chance to parry one attack before your chance to block. I've never seen a block / parry on the second weapon while I've been testing it.

Deer

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Deerstalker said:
Dual wielders , you only get the chance to block one of thier attacks at 50% reduction in chance to block.
Large shield can have a chance to block all of tripple wielders at 50% reduction

duel wielders can block now:-/ with what?:p

once again you've managed to confuce me... btw this is no hard feat:p

do you meen if your facing a infil/merc/other DW's, the size of the shield matters? ie size matters;) (sorry, i resisted but failed)
so...
small shields = chance to block 1 of the 2 attacks...
medium shields = chance to block 2 of the 2 attacks...
large shields = chance to block 3 of the 2 attacks...

im no mathsasist(word?SP?) but isn't 3/2 impossible?

finnally, whats the 50% reduction? is it, due to the fact that they have 2 weapons you have 50% chance to block both... rather than the 100% for 1 weapon... or am i totally of the mark?

Anarawan

Fledgling Freddie
psyco said:
duel wielders can block now:-/ with what?:p

once again you've managed to confuce me... btw this is no hard feat:p

do you meen if your facing a infil/merc/other DW's, the size of the shield matters? ie size matters;) (sorry, i resisted but failed)
so...

finnally, whats the 50% reduction? is it, due to the fact that they have 2 weapons you have 50% chance to block both... rather than the 100% for 1 weapon... or am i totally of the mark?

/rofl

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
psyco said:
the bigger the slower...
the bigger the more they can chain block...
the bigger the more it costs to slam...

50%... does the same go for blocking?

no 50% cap is for parry and evade.

For some strange reason mythic think blocking should be higher.

If you search through the grab bags on the camelot herald you can probably find the answer from a few months ago.

cadwaladr

Loyal Freddie
Actualy I can see why, Iv done some larp & re-enactment stuff. and using a shield is a big defensive plus, even if you dont realy know how to use one.

Golly

Fledgling Freddie
block was reduced a while back to about 80% iirc as with the cata +block bonus pure tanks with said 50 shield and some mob were 100% blocking which was seen as a bug :x

last i heard parry was somewhere between 40 and 50%

but to be fair im not sure where this %age comes from because some ppl have stupidly high ws and hit you most of the time anyways so i guess its best to just get as many defensive abilities as poss

your never gonna have anything over a 60ish% chance to block anything with 1800+ ws

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
Deerstalker said:
It's attacks per mob / player that the shield is limited to , any buffed scout with 42 shield can attest to blocking 5+ mobs in a single round,

Wish someone told me this b4 I stuck a 7plat heal proc on a buckler...

If this is true tho, seems hardly any point using a large shield at all?

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
I've not got full tests for all of it, but the way it used to work was :

Small shield - can block 1 attack per round without penalties
Medium shield - can block 2 attacks per round without penalties
Large shield - can block 3 attacks per round without penalties

I can certainly attest that fighting 3 red mobs with a large shield on Darzil is much, much easier than fighting 4 red mobs. Fighting 3 isn't much different from fighting 1, 4 can be close to impossible.

I've not tested them, but the official word is that facing a dual wielder halves chance to block. There was also a change that meant that there was a blocking cap introduced, the level of which depended on the shield size, but I've not tested it.

With my old suit (large shield, 123 dex, 50+12 shield, MoB III, +5% pve blocking) I got : 70% chance to block a level 47 mob, 62% chance to block a level 51 mob. Buffed to 260 dex took that to 92% and 81%.

I've not done the testing recently (those tests were when I was unemployed, and were 2 hours each fight), however, when I took Darzil into Deliah's, duoing with a friar (so with base buffs), neither of us were hit until we faced red mobs - Darzil now has +101 dex from suit, +10% PvE block, 50+13 shield, MoB IV.

One day if I'm sufficiently bored I'll do some more 2 hours tests.

Darzil

Coriolanus

Fledgling Freddie
Darzil said:
I've not got full tests for all of it, but the way it used to work was :

Small shield - can block 1 attack per round without penalties
Medium shield - can block 2 attacks per round without penalties
Large shield - can block 3 attacks per round without penalties

I can certainly attest that fighting 3 red mobs with a large shield on Darzil is much, much easier than fighting 4 red mobs. Fighting 3 isn't much different from fighting 1, 4 can be close to impossible.

I've not tested them, but the official word is that facing a dual wielder halves chance to block. There was also a change that meant that there was a blocking cap introduced, the level of which depended on the shield size, but I've not tested it.

With my old suit (large shield, 123 dex, 50+12 shield, MoB III, +5% pve blocking) I got : 70% chance to block a level 47 mob, 62% chance to block a level 51 mob. Buffed to 260 dex took that to 92% and 81%.

I've not done the testing recently (those tests were when I was unemployed, and were 2 hours each fight), however, when I took Darzil into Deliah's, duoing with a friar (so with base buffs), neither of us were hit until we faced red mobs - Darzil now has +101 dex from suit, +10% PvE block, 50+13 shield, MoB IV.

One day if I'm sufficiently bored I'll do some more 2 hours tests.

Darzil

Be nice to try this out with parry. The question is at which point one has sufficient parry that increasing dex or MoParry has no effect.

Deerstalker

Fledgling Freddie
psyco said:

finally, whats the 50% reduction? is it, due to the fact that they have 2 weapons you have 50% chance to block both... rather than the 100% for 1 weapon... or am i totally of the mark?

Mids and Hibs get multiple attacks per round, savage can do 4 ( 5 not sure on this?) , BM can do 3 .

small shield vs single hitting mob / player = base chance to block on all attacks .
small shield vs Dual wield mob / player = 50% reduction on the first weapon , nothing on the second weapon.

Example, the deer can tank 2 DF nightmares at the same time, gets base chance to block on both mobs as they are single wield.
but vs one of those big dual wield spiders in DF, she dies in seconds, 50% reduction on the first hit, zero chance to block the second attack.

vs green / blue single wield mobs , you can tank 20+ mobs easily with a small shield, 20 dual wield green con mobs, and you should start running :p

Medium shield vs single hitting mob / player = base chance to block on all attacks.
Medium shield vs dual wield mob / player = 50% chance reduction to block first attack, 50% chance reduction to block second attack

medium shield vs triple wield = 50% reduction, 50% reduction, 0 chance to block

Large Shield = 3 chances to block, so only sauvages / multi attack mobs will get a shot past the shield without the check.

Shield Styles, End Use: Small = low, medium = med , large = high

With CL3 5% base block rate for all non shield spec users.

Scouts and Heretics get spec Small shield and so are very week to melee vs dual wielders. Although vs a Hunter / Ranger using a bow, makes it very frustrating for the enemy archer to be blocked at every shot :D

Paladins , Armsmen, Reavers get Large spec, but as very few of the triple / quad dmg dealing enemies are in RvR it makes sense to use a medium shield for the most part of the time, (reduced end cost ) , and small shield if not actively guarding healers / casters or bridge camping.

For my PVE melee chars, I've got one of each: small,med and large. Depending on the mob and the amount of shield spec that toon has. For the most part the only time I will put the large shield on is when I notice that a certain type of mob is triple wielding.

Deer.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Coriolanus said:
Be nice to try this out with parry. The question is at which point one has sufficient parry that increasing dex or MoParry has no effect.

It would. It's easier to test than block - with block I had to remove my sword so I couldn't parry. With parry, you don't need to, as you'll only block if a parry fails.

There will never be a point at which there is no beneift of increasing dex or MoParry. This is because attackers weaponskill or mob level reduce your chance to parry, and the cap (if there is one) will be after this.

You can quickly see if there is a hard cap on parry %, though. Pull a grey and see if you parry every blow. Finding hard caps is easy!

Darzil

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Coriolanus said:

Im trying to figure this out myself as well, seeing as im considering wether to go for Parry 4 or stick with Parry3.

According to the character builder I have 68 % chance to parry already almost, which I do not believe at all. If it is capped at 50% then im already well over cap even before enemy weaponskills come into play, which will rarely be higher regardless.

My own calculations put parry chance alot lower though I was never brilliant at maths.

If all this is true however then it means parry 4 is worthless unless either a) im attacking multiple opponents, which to be fair happens quite often, or b) I want to drop dex from my template, which I would rather not do as it helps my snapshot.

Personally I think I will keep at Parry3 or maybe even drop to Parry 2 until I can get some more hard info.

I did not realise I would reach parry cap so easily until now, I guess dex is a greater factor then I thought.

Kinetix

Can't get enough of FH
The Great question i put here is:

Is it worth to put a heal proc on a shield? lets say for a 50 shield pala?

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Kinetix said:
The Great question i put here is:

Is it worth to put a heal proc on a shield? lets say for a 50 shield pala?

Of cause, that should go without saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom