Paranoia?

Olvoair

Fledgling Freddie
or whats the reason why an account isnt opened the instantanously when a payment has been done on subs pages?

I pay; i type in same details as been used for 2 other accounts 20-30 times yet there is a delay, sometimes just 15 min sometimes a day, sometimes several days. Whats the reason behind that? Whats so bad about taking a minimal risk opening the account in advance? Worst thing that can happen is that someone plays for free a day and you can always give the person doing that a skiing vacation, no?

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
It should only take about 30 minutes and that's for the billing system to say "ok payment done" to the login system.

If it takes longer because it takes longer for the card to clear then I guess that's a problem with your bank? No idea really :p

However, Waiting for the payment to clear before giving out the services is generally pretty sound business practice...

e.g. they let you in immediately, your card fails, they now have to remove your subscription and mark you down as "dodgy", so that if the next time you try to pay (getting a free day before your card fails) they can see that you're taking the piss and permaban you after it...

What if you don't realise your card isn't working? now you're booted out after a day and confused... the payment went through on the subs page didn't it? You try again and get your account into trouble because the system doesn't work in the way you'd expect it to.

Or even if you do get your card sorted and the payment does go through, they'll have to keep track of the free day(s) you got from your card not paying..

This is taking what should be a nice simple system (you pay for it, payment clears, you get to play) and turning it into something that's just asking to be exploited.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
It should only take about 30 minutes and that's for the billing system to say "ok payment done" to the login system.

it doesent even take that long. atleast not for me. last time i renewed i could log in about 45 seconds after the payment was done.

dodgy CC if it takes longer then that tbh :p (YES i was joking)

Olvoair

Fledgling Freddie
Why would it take 30 min? When I buy something in a store using my credit card it takes 15 sec, all over the world.

And the billings sometimes seem to get stuck, i.e. waiting for some batchrun. I.e. it takes 15s everywhere else but for goa it takes 5 min - 2 days (approx the span I have experienced using same card).

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
the 30m is for their two systems to get in sync (game accounts and system accounts) and that should be the maximum.

I've no idea why it takes 2 days for your accounts to go live, never ever experienced longer than 30 mins delay (in fact never experienced that long...)

Send a RightNow they might have some answers but it sounds unusual...

Hrm, random thought, is it 2 days till you get the email saying you're active? or is it 2 days before it lets you past the login screen?

(i.e. have you tried logging in 10/20/30 minutes after your subs purchase? or do you wait for the mail?)

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Welcome to the world of computing and credit card/bank/game synchronization.

You pay.
Details get sent from GOA/Mythic to Bank.
Bank confirms
Bank sends details back to GoA/Mythic.
Mythic/GoA set your account to playable (Updating necessary databases)

Can take anywhere from up to 15 seconds to 1hour.

Need to take into consideration:

Link between GoA/Mythic to the bank (for confirmation) since there CAN be latency issues. :)

censi

Can't get enough of FH
when you goto payment and make payment and enter credit card details etc..

it usually takes about 5 minutes for that transaction to hit and clear and your account open... thats always been consistently fast through daoc

however in the last 6 months Ive noticed after you make that payment (be it a license upgrade or subs renewal) the billing site will say "invoice is in progress" and that can take days to clear (even though for example you can renew your subs and see that "invoice in progress" message and still loggin and play)... untill that invoice message clears you cant do any other mods to that accounts.

This is a problem when you want to do two transactions at the same time... you do 2 transactions generally when your a returning player who upgrades his accounts and wants to get back in and also renew subs at same time...

So its a bad feature to have and im not so sure it will ever get fixed. (might be a reason for it etc who knows)

Olvoair

Fledgling Freddie
the 30m is for their two systems to get in sync (game accounts and system accounts) and that should be the maximum.

I've no idea why it takes 2 days for your accounts to go live, never ever experienced longer than 30 mins delay (in fact never experienced that long...)

Send a RightNow they might have some answers but it sounds unusual...

Hrm, random thought, is it 2 days till you get the email saying you're active? or is it 2 days before it lets you past the login screen?

(i.e. have you tried logging in 10/20/30 minutes after your subs purchase? or do you wait for the mail?)

Accounts are 4 years old (was from the good old times when goa didnt accept more than 1 acc per email adress so I created a few randoms hehe). Dont have those mail adresses any more so i wait a little then I try again. When laby came it was the worst, upgraded client. payed for laby on goa pages, invoice in progress. But as I had upgraded clients I couldnt play until the hamster had run a bit more :m00:

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
ahh yeah the "invoice in progress" is crappy - takes a day for it to clear, which is a royal pain in the arse if you want to resubscribe and upgrade at the same time (which a lot of returning players will be).

I'm surprised it's never been changed.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
ahh yeah the "invoice in progress" is crappy - takes a day for it to clear, which is a royal pain in the arse if you want to resubscribe and upgrade at the same time (which a lot of returning players will be).

I'm surprised it's never been changed.

There is a way to get rid of the invoice thing.

Go to your history folder in IE and look for the link that is the payment pages.

Works for me when the Invoice thing is being wierd with no problems

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
We have brought it to the attention of GOA that there is a problem with the subs page.

Weather or not they deal with it is up to them. But any problems and you should rightnow it if its still not fixed then dunno what else to say.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Welcome to the world of computing and credit card/bank/game synchronization.

You pay.
Details get sent from GOA/Mythic to Bank.
Bank confirms
Bank sends details back to GoA/Mythic.
Mythic/GoA set your account to playable (Updating necessary databases)

Can take anywhere from up to 15 seconds to 1hour.

Need to take into consideration:

Link between GoA/Mythic to the bank (for confirmation) since there CAN be latency issues. :)

I gave my bank account some gin and orange, hasn't worked properly since xD

Dunno why the orange tho, may be scurvy gets in paper too :p

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
We have brought it to the attention of GOA that there is a problem with the subs page.

Weather or not they deal with it is up to them. But any problems and you should rightnow it if its still not fixed then dunno what else to say.

I see degrees at University still do not teach :

A: Grammar
B: Spelling
C: Content and conveyance

And the irony of it is that computing degrees specifically deal with syntax.

I guess there's hope for people - even those who are drunk at 12 am in some crap bar on a Sunday :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom