Paladins?

K

kinag

I have heard that Paladins are defensive tanks, and im wondering is Saracen a good choice for a Paladin?
and strength and constitution raise per level and not Dexterity so a Saracen cant be all that bad?
Sure they got less hit points and do less damage, but isnt a Defensive tank suppose to be defensive and block/parry blows and not get hit as often...
For what i know shield and parry is based on dexterity, so that will give the saracen an advantage right? putting 10 points str/con/dex will give you 60 str/con and 90 dex...

Just want your opinions if a Saracen is any good...

S

SilverHood

you'll take forver to kil things, but they won't be able to hit you back :)

K

kinag

heh, that sounds nice in RvR aswell when the block/bugg parry is fixed :)

C

chretien

Saracens and Avalonians make surprisingly good paladins. Concentrate your spec points on Shield and Parry rather than slash and you will not believe your block rate.

O

old.Zeikerd

I saw an avalonian 2 handed paladin once. Talking about gimping yourself :)

C

chretien

I'm an Avalonian s+s paladin. Nothing gets close to my healer.

O

old.LandShark

Proving nothing except that race matters nothing really.

K

kinag

Made a Saracen s/s paladin, got him to lvl 10 and have no problems in grp, i block like a god even with 3 in shield :p
No problems with being main tank neither, tho my dmg aint all that, but comparing with other highlander paladins they got like +3 more dmg so...

I only made that paladin for fun, Not going to concentrate on getting him high...

T

tildson

race doesnt matter that much really with SC and buffs

O

old.Dorac

I wonder...

What advantage does an Avalonian have against a Briton, as a tank? Beside the fact that you can dress like a caster and fool some silly shadowblades. :D

I can really only see flaws with Avalonians as tanks, when looking at their initial stats.

Edit: Oh, female Avalonians look stunning in plate, but that's pushing the "look > stat" thingy. ;)

E

Ekydus

Things Paladins need IMO:

1) Strength.
- Main area as they are a "tank".
2) Dexterity.
- Improves block rate.
3) Piety.
- Amount of power you have. (Handy when you twist and it starts to drain your power. However I know a handy twist method to keep your power and endurance bars near full for a longer time ;))

Highlanders make the best Paladins, but that's IMO again. After they get their base stats sorted out in the future patch Highlander Paladins are going to be the more worthier of the set.

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by Ekydus
However I know a handy twist method to keep your power and endurance bars near full for a longer time ;))

qbar 1
key 7 afchant
key 8 dmgchant
key 9 endchant
key 0 healchant

you will rapidly loose endurance when soloing (until you get the last healchant then you get some end back for styling)

BUT, your group will NEVER ever become endless when you are twisting and you will NEVER ever run out of power.

T

taur

saracen works .. but be sure to spec to 50 shield and use slam as main dmg style in rvr .. autotrain slash is enough 8)

E

Ekydus

Actually it would be like this:

1)
Group AF Chant.
Group Battle Chant.
Group Heal Chant.
Endurance Chant.

2)
Group AF Chant.
Group Battle Chant.
Group Heal Chant.

Basically, twisting without Endurance chant drains your power, the Endurance chant drains endurance.

Start on 1) for the twist, this will cause you to lose some endurance.
Endurance chant will stay running until the chants are recastable again, then you move into 2).
Doing just this will drain your power, but gives the endurance time to regain.
Then on the next recast you do 1 again etc. etc. etc.
Everytime you get to 1) you will regain some power. Aswell as draining endurance, endurance gives back power, then you gain endurance over time and lose the power the longer you run the chant.
Basically these even each other out, as what is lost in one is gained back in the other. Keep twisting in these stages and you'll last A LOT longer then before.
It's just like Perma-Sprint really. You tap your Endurance chant whilst sprinting and it drains from your endurance bar instead of your power bar, and then gives you a slight bit of power back.
Please tell me I am not the only Paladin to have noticed this. :p

Don't believe me?
Try it out. It works.

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by Ekydus
Actually it would be like this:

1)
Group AF Chant.
Group Battle Chant.
Group Heal Chant.
Endurance Chant.

2)
Group AF Chant.
Group Battle Chant.
Group Heal Chant.

Basically, twisting without Endurance chant drains your power, the Endurance chant drains endurance.

no twisting without endurance chant drains your endurance, the endurance chant drains power

]Originally posted by Ekydus

Start on 1) for the twist, this will cause you to lose some endurance.
Endurance chant will stay running until the chants are recastable again, then you move into 2).
Doing just this will drain your power, but gives the endurance time to regain.

theoreticly that won´t work as 1) takes endurance then when running end chant last the end will be regained while loosing power 2) will then use up some/all of the endurance gained.

Aswell as draining endurance, endurance gives back power,

no endurance drains power as said before, try letting your endurance chant run and you will notice the power drain

then you gain endurance over time and lose the power the longer you run the chant.

first you say it drains endurance, then you say it drains power? ;)

Basically these even each other out, as what is lost in one is gained back in the other. Keep twisting in these stages and you'll last A LOT longer then before.
It's just like Perma-Sprint really. You tap your Endurance chant whilst sprinting and it drains from your endurance bar instead of your power bar, and then gives you a slight bit of power back.
Please tell me I am not the only Paladin to have noticed this. :p

Don't believe me?
Try it out. It works.

I´m in doubt, will try it out when home from work.

E

Ekydus

What I wrote made sense to me, maybe you should re-read it and take note of my grammar. :p

If I have my Paladin facts or anything wrong I apologise, If I contradict myself I apologise. I know what I meant to say but I didn't actually sleep last night so...
Well i'm kinda tired etc. :p

I'm very certain that the twist order is right and I have proven it. It's a very handy method. The idea is to do some styling aswell. Like hit twice 1 twist, then miss the next one out etc. Well test it out when you get home from work, I know what I mean but right now my head is a very strange, sleepy (Mmmm Sleep.) place. Please post any further details on this, I'm pretty sure i've got it 90% sussed but all comments are welcome.

N

nott

Saracan will make a very good for a defensive paladin.

There was a thread on these boards bout two paladins duoing prince without buffs. They were briton+saracan. As far as I know they are both speced 50shield,46chant,29slash,19parry. Which is a kick-ass defensive spec. With sc-suit + aa-reactives you will be The Tank.

O

old.Dorac

Originally posted by Addlcove
I´m in doubt, will try it out when home from work.
Well.. Basically, it works (just tried it), but it's too darn confusing doing two twisting routines instead of one. (Or it might just be me being lazy and thick.. ;))

The way I do it:

1. [Insert useful resist chant] or Battle chant
2. AF chant
3. Endurance chant
4. Heal chant

I use a couple of Slam's per fight, and some positional/reactive styles. I usually end up with less than 1/3 of end when the fight is over (if still alive), but my group get's all my treats (double healing and no endurance loss).

Oh, and sorry kinag.. Consider your thread hijacked. :cool:

A

armado

twisting

when it comes to twisting and chants in rvr, fights often stop before your mana bar are empty.
trade you piety into mana potions.. :p

K

kinag

Originally posted by old.Dorac
Oh, and sorry kinag.. Consider your thread hijacked. :cool:

Hehe, just keep em coming ;)

Still a bit confused about being a saracen paladin, considering to remake into a Highlander, Those Kilts are so extremely cool, only bad thing is if im going to a cold place im afraid i will freeze my balls off if they get close to the plate :eek:

S

Sibanac

Originally posted by kinag
Hehe, just keep em coming ;)

Still a bit confused about being a saracen paladin, considering to remake into a Highlander, Those Kilts are so extremely cool, only bad thing is if im going to a cold place im afraid i will freeze my balls off if they get close to the plate :eek:

no they wont

http://users.pandora.be/kuikentje/sshot000.jpg

C

Chenuba

My pally is a saracen.

spec: 35 slash, 48 chants, 43 shield and 21 parry.

I haven't duelled a lot but the duels I've had has mostly been wins.

If you want a S/S paladin don't even think about making a highlander. Very low base-dex, make a saracen or a briton.

when Chenuba was struggling through catacombs and barrows, his nick was "meatshield", guess why !
Anyway, when the hardcaps are removed in a future patch, the extra base dex saracens has can become very valuable.

Forget spending any of the initial 30 points on piety, put 10 in str, con, dex or maybe even put a little into quickness as well. Fx. 10 str, 10 dex, 5 con, 5 quick.

Remember that paladins (s/s-pallys) aren't damagedealers, but rather are there to keep enemies busy, so the casters are safe and can nuke those hibs and mids for some serious damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom