Paladin Spec

zelrokyz

Fledgling Freddie
Hello,

Can anyone offer a good spec for a sword&board Paladin? Currently I train in Slash, Chants, Parry and Shield, with Slash/Chants in the 40's, and Parry/Shield at 20. Shield is way too low I know, but thats why I'm asking ;)

Any advice appretiated.

Currently level 47 so still doing a lot of PvE, but I do hope for RvR when ready.

Thanks;

echekiel

Fledgling Freddie
42shield/44slash/46chant
or
42shield/50slash/39chant
or
50shield/46chant/rest slash

.... it depend if u want to be offensiv or defensive.

Painbringer

Fledgling Freddie
depends on how much RvR you want to do, if alot the high shield isn't that importan as you don't block as much as in PvE, so imo as a s/b pala go 50 slash for dmg, 35 shield, rest chants, for PvE go higher in shield, and before the 42 shield whines start coming, slam is way over rated :kissit:

Marc

FH is my second home
I was 50 shield/29 slash/46 chants rest parry. This is ideal for PvE. WHen you are ready for RvR I personally would go 44 slash, 42 shield, 42 chants rest parry

skarpheden

Fledgling Freddie
50 shield 45 chants 34 slash rest parry works nice in pve and like blockbot in pvp ;)

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
If i understand it correct a paladins job in pvp is not doin dmg :) he's a pure blockbot. So 44 or 50 slash sounds a lil over the top :) but then my paladin never got over L23 ;)

/Dracus

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
Well my Paladin just dinged Lvl 48 yesterday and has auto-trained Slash and Chants also. His final spec at Lvl 50 will be:

50 Shield
42 Chants
39 Slash
Remainder Parry

HTH :)

Jeeves

Banned
If you actually auto-trained from lvl 1 -48 the only real pala spec is 50 shield 46 chants 39 slash, if you have no auto-train, go 50 shield 46 chants 29 slash/rest parry (defensive) or higher slash and less parry for offensive, although considering you will only get about 33/4 or so slash max, it's really not worth it as damage doesn't increase much.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
There's a fair number of options, depending on what you want to do / be able to do.

Offensive RvR spec (for running in an assist train and keeping their endurance up) :
Two handed 50, Weapon type 39 minus realm rank, Chants 42 (for last end chant - Some even go as low as 32 chants (penultimate end chant), though this is pretty much the minimum) , spare in parry. Getting very popular in the US now. Realm abilities focus on damage dealing.

Balanced spec (for general PvE and RvR) :
Weapon type 39, Shield 42 (for slam, sometime 35 if you're mainly RvR, as it gives a side style stun), Chants 45 (for heal chant for aggro maintenance - can take up to 48 for last AF chant, if you prefer it over a cleric's AF chant), balance in parry. Pretty much the standard Paladin spec. A mix of realm abilities.

Epic PvE spec (For when you want to be at the front against the real big opponents)
Slash 29 (for Amethyst - highest to hit bonus, and you want to hit!), Shield 50, Chants 45 (for heal chant for aggro maintenance - can take up to 48 for last AF chant, if you prefer it over a cleric's AF chant), balance in parry. For realm abilities, mastery of blocking and mastery of parry are your friends.

Experimental Epic PvE spec (Sometimes done on Gaheris - I worry about the aggro control, though, without much chance of hitting)
Slash 12, Shield 50, Chants 45 (for heal chant for aggro maintenance), Parry 36 (38 if Chants autotrained). For realm abilities, mastery of blocking and mastery of parry are your friends.

My thoughts, anyway. There are many other specs that work, and it's pretty hard to gimp a Paladin totally.

Darzil

Platin

Fledgling Freddie
42 shield(slam is the best style u have), if you go 50 shield you'll get 4% more chance to block and some useless style which simply isn't worth the points.
42 chants (red end)

rest in slash!

Marrok

Loyal Freddie
42 shield, 39 slash, 48 chants, 15 parry.. works just fine, both in pve and rvr

Marrok 50 paladin bla bla bla

Lam

Fledgling Freddie
My current spec is 34 slash, 42 shield, 48 chants and 24 parry.

I mostly do pve tho and I love the spec and it also works good enough in rvr for me.

SevenSins

Fledgling Freddie
Marc said:
I was 50 shield/29 slash/46 chants rest parry. This is ideal for PvE. WHen you are ready for RvR I personally would go 44 slash, 42 shield, 42 chants rest parry
48 Chants is a must tbh...

Why? Heat/Cold resists if your not running a friar, (which you usually aren't with a Pala in group :p)

50 Shield, 29 Slash, 48 Chants, Rest parry.

Hi.

SevenSins

Fledgling Freddie
Platin said:
42 shield(slam is the best style u have), if you go 50 shield you'll get 4% more chance to block and some useless style which simply isn't worth the points.
42 chants (red end)

rest in slash!
10 second stun style that has high growthratecosts and costs f-all end is indeed useless.

/cough, ofcourse.

Let me say here why Brutalize is so good for Paladins.

After block, low end cost, high damage and 10 second stun.
After you get Brutalize in, it's Riposte; Riposte; Riposte or Brutalize; Brutalize; Brutalize if your target is crush weak (Nightshades for example).

50 shield is underestimated, the 50 Shield Style is the 1 backup style a Paladin should be using either in PvE or RvR (When soloing for example) even when slamming :eek:

And the 4% extra blockrate is also ubernice.

Why I wouldn't go so high Weapon on a Paladin is mainly because we are the most gimped melee damagers (except for Mages :p) and the WS increase for lost points over IE no red Heat/Cold resists or no Brutalize is not worth it.

People who have played with 50 Shield will vow by Brutalize, be a good Paladin, do the same :eek:

Marc

FH is my second home
Brutalize is good in PvE. Wank in RvR. Ive found its a waste of weapon skill putting 50 into shield. Your weapon skill would be much higher if you put them points into slash making it easier to land slam. No point having brutalize with gimped weaponskill so you never land the style.

zelrokyz

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks to all who posted advice here. I've decided to go the 42/44/46 combination on shield/slash/chants for now.

Thanks again :)

selim_segor

Fledgling Freddie
Im the 44 slash 46 chants 42 sheild spec and it is rly fun when you hit a gimpy yellow bard with prolly 0% slash/heat resist with a Heat LW, hit one for 275 once, was buffed tho :D

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
I've just had a look on the character builder, because some of the suggestions have got me thinking...

Since I've been in RVR with my Paladin, I always seem to get stunned, debuffed, then nuked stupid and in those instances, having 50 in Sheild (as I originally planned) isn't going to help.

So, I'm thinking about this spec now...

50 Slash
42 Shield
42 Chants
9 Parry

Opinions?

SevenSins

Fledgling Freddie
Marc said:
Brutalize is good in PvE. Wank in RvR. Ive found its a waste of weapon skill putting 50 into shield. Your weapon skill would be much higher if you put them points into slash making it easier to land slam. No point having brutalize with gimped weaponskill so you never land the style.
Shield has it's own WS -_-.

Go check Mythic grabbags, it's just invisble.

It's not based on your melee weapon spec (i.e Slash/Thrust/Crush) at all.

Thus, 50 shield would also make it easier to land slam.

:eek:

Eroa

Banned
My pala is specced 48 chants, 44 slash, 42 shield (auto training to 40)

harm

Fledgling Freddie
Agree. 50 shield, 48 chants, 29 slash, rest parry is imo what gives the most out of a s/s paladin. As mentioned earlier, the spec is a typical "epic-tanker" but I think it's a good overall spec too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom