Painkiller?

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
The Suffering looks better tbh. Same sort of game but by the looks of it, it is being executed better than Painkiller.

MrBlack

Fledgling Freddie
The Demo is around now. 3 levels. It plays like Serious Sam with a minging hangover. Great use of physics; ludicrously huge weapons; evil moody graphics; blood everywhere and thick and crunchy sound effects.

All good so far, but it looks pretty small. It'll be fun in a mindless blast kind of way, but it looks as though the devs are relying on the hope that you'll want to repeat the process a bit faster to give it any lasting appeal.

The Boss level you get in the demo is probably the biggest fully animated boss I've seen. His hammer head is 3 times the size of your bloke, but all you have to do is shoot him with all the ammo you've got until he falls over.

Hopefully it'll be £20 like Serious Sam, and (praying here) it'll have a co-op mode, which will make it ace. Otherwise it'll be utterly ignored with the big 2 coming up.

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Really superb, DM should be lots of fun, the movement reminding me of q2 style abuse of the physics and enviroment.

jakswan

Fledgling Freddie
I played this MP with the Alpha. It is QW with nice graphics :) The stake gun, is a blast.

milou

Part of the furniture
Play wants £27 for it. As MrBlack says "It plays like Serious Sam with a minging hangover". I liked the powerup which enables the black & white "ethereal" screen.

Otto

Fledgling Freddie
Played the demo and it sure was fun to pwn those zombies with the stake gun at the first lvl but at the second lvl it got very boring after 2 min of killing the same unit over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

In short: The game is fun for 15 min then you start to fall asleep. :(

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Well, full thing arrived today and I love it. The netplay is very good, no lag as you'd expect with this sort of thing. Granted it's DM now and a bit manic, but even after 10 minutes on I saw names playing I hadn't seen since Q3 :)

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
play.com have this for £17.99. Ordered it yesterday, its in the shops for £28-35 sigh.

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
Getting mine soon hopefully ;) Cya server side.. anything else you like / don't like about it Babs ?

The SP demo was the dogs nudgers :D

babs

Can't get enough of FH
It's frantic, there's a bit of a delay on the stake gun but the death messages are straight out of quake tbh :) As are the names, think choice of muddy colours and special characters.

It's really odd, it's like going back in time and playing quake, it feels so similar to me. I know there are obvious differences but the presentation is so similar. I'm dying to see some mods now, specifically Rocket Arena :)

I hope interest in it picks up and it gets the players and servers it seems to deserve.

BTW - Coolest.....box.......ever (well, coolest in last few years at any rate ;))

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
babs said:
It's frantic, there's a bit of a delay on the stake gun but the death messages are straight out of quake tbh :) As are the names, think choice of muddy colours and special characters.

It's really odd, it's like going back in time and playing quake, it feels so similar to me. I know there are obvious differences but the presentation is so similar. I'm dying to see some mods.........

Shesh I can't wait! You bast wish I hadn't asked ;)

Mods would be sooo cool eh, do you reckon the sheer scale and detail prevents a Lithium type setup with the Painkiller as a grapple, or you reckon it is possible with a custom map designed for such a mod?

You tried any custom maps yet? :)

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Nothing custom, and the maps I played would've been better for duels or 2v2s, although I did try one bigger map. None would be suitable IMO for much other than DM, only about 1 route through some of the maps and would be unbalanced. I'd like to see a good CTF or RA style go though, even bringing some old maps up to date. At least we'd know where we were with them.

I do like the fact that there are big and awkward jumps put in from the get go. Apparently a lot of people are having big issues getting it running, and I'll admit I did too at first. It doesn't like virtual drives being present (daemon tools) and even with those gone it just plain hates cloneCD which I had installed. Thankfully I never use it so just got rid. There is a patch available to help with the large numbers of problems with lots of cd and dvd drives not being recognised, and a main patch should be out on monday.

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
Can't wait ;) Would be great to see some of the old Quake 1,2 & 3 maps in there eh.

Nice too see these issues being sorted early. A RA mod would be really cool, has anyone had a chance to dabble with the server admin *.cfgs yet?

TheJkWhoSaysNi

One of Freddy's beloved
babs said:

It's really odd, it's like going back in time and playing quake, it feels so similar to me. I know there are obvious differences but the presentation is so similar. I'm dying to see some mods now, specifically Rocket Arena :)

I hope interest in it picks up and it gets the players and servers it seems to deserve.

BTW - Coolest.....box.......ever (well, coolest in last few years at any rate ;))
And the music reminds me of the music from Doom! Fun game, i get easily bored of mindless shooters though.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Game arrived today.

Yep SP is quite like Serious Sam, good fun though.

Just tried MP, 3 vs 3 Team DM - WOW FUN! :) Takes me back to the good old QW days, very smooth fast fun, I can see this being popular.

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
And the music reminds me of the music from Doom!

Heavy was a good choice eh .. :)

Xtro said:
Game arrived today.

.... good fun though.

Just tried MP, 3 vs 3 Team DM - WOW FUN! Takes me back to the good old QW days..... I can see this being popular....

Would anyone here be interested in a litle 3 vs 3 DM fun? Sounds like a real blast... :flame:Greatstuff:flame:

Also what are people using for pickups ? GSA or IRC ? Whats your favourite DM maps so far ? Can we have pics posted please of DM in game, if you can't upload anywhere PM me on the forum and I will upload for you. (not too big :) )

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Ive played it a bit OL but I feel the weapons are all too powerful and too sparse in many of the levels. It suffers from having too few weapons and the alt fires a bit crap. Id liked to have seen the rag doll physics implemented in the mutiplayer too.

Also it suffers from spawn camping....these days thats a crime in a game.

And...wheres the crouch ffs!

No where near as good as Quake 1, a bit laggy in response to changes in movement. Its like running in treacle.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
hmm didnt have any response probs here at all.

Buhhh in SP how the fuck do I hurt the second boss (the swamp guy)?

As for MP, I use the ingame browser.

TheJkWhoSaysNi

One of Freddy's beloved
The guy in the fire pit?

You need to shoot the wood on the roof above the wood (took me so long to figure out) and then draw the monster into the light.

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
Has anyone got any new screenies for us unlucky few that do not have it yet?

/me begs ;)

Otherwise I will have to subject this forum to more of my home made shite PK pictures :p Comical ones too, so please best post at least x2 of a MP game.. for the sanity of this thread :D

Will

/bin/su
Arrived this morning, shame I'm at work.

It better be a good SP game, I've got no connectin at home at the moment...unless 56k via a winmodem counts as a connection nowadays. Still, £15.99 from Play is a pretty sweet deal.:)

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
Will said:
Arrived this morning, shame I'm at work.

It better be a good SP game, I've got no connectin at home at the moment...unless 56k via a winmodem counts as a connection nowadays. Still, £15.99 from Play is a pretty sweet deal.:)

I reckon it will be, its looks a lot of fun, with twice as much action. Very much a Serious Sam shoot 'em up but with a whole lot to offer in the fun department I think, we will have to see :D For those that are interested in playing with a clan, they should link up with MuSsEr in IRC #bravo20.

Play is the best deal ever eh ;)

milou

Part of the furniture
[QUOTE=']Very much a Serious Sam shoot 'em up but with a whole lot to offer in the fun department I think[/QUOTE]

I'd have to agree with that :)

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
TheJkWhoSaysNi said:
The guy in the fire pit?

You need to shoot the wood on the roof above the wood (took me so long to figure out) and then draw the monster into the light.

Noooo, not him. Managed to suss that fairly quickly (as in...by accident).

Its the next BIIIG boss that isnt far after that. The guy made out of water in the swamp that circles you leaving bubbles behind.

Cant damage him at all and must be missing something. HELP :)

Mr.Bee

Fledgling Freddie
Xtro said:
Its the next BIIIG boss that isnt far after that. The guy made out of water in the swamp that circles you leaving bubbles behind.

Cant damage him at all and must be missing something. HELP :)

It seems pretty random but you have to shoot the bubbles when hes over them, also when theres a certain cycle of bubbles in the water shoot two of them and a bubble will float from one flame to another, I havent killed him yet tho as his one hit kill hands keep getting me :(

Uriel

Fledgling Freddie
Tsk Bee, getting rusty.

I just used the shotgun and kept shooting the bubbles by his feet as he walked over them which explode causing damage. After a while the bubbles stop er... bubbling and are replaced by 4(?) big bubbles arranged compass-like around the isle. Shoot them and you should notice they leave behind a flame. The Swamp Thing changes colour and starts running around trying to put out the fires and it's now that he's vulnerable. Just unload with the shotgun and you'll beat him easily.

To make things easier get as close to the edge of the isle as possible. I suppose you could use the Driver or Stake gun to pop the bubbles but the shottie is by the quickest/easiest.

Btw, if you're not playing on nightmare then you might want to restart as I don't *think* you can complete the game on the lower difficulty settings.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
I managed to beat the Swamp boss yesterday (before reading replies here) and it was pretty much what Uriel said. It was also incredibly fucking DULL.

Ta for the replies.

Users who are viewing this thread