Painkiller Demos

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
People have said this plays like an absolute pig or something though :( So I didn't bother trying it myself.

Anyone out there who would argue otherwise?

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
I played the first demo released and it was lovely, ran beautifully smoothly on my computer which aint the greatest of pc's and it was a good zombie/evil dead horde splatter fest! :clap:

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Just finished the one level in the second demo. Great fun. Completely spam filled blood bath.

Love it.

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
...agree its a bitch for fps with a low end system, mine copes 'ok' with all the candy at 800 x 600. I had a feel around the settings cfg file and tweaked it a little here and there but it still seems to be a bit touchy about things like pre caching etc.. Its gonne need a 2.5 + with a 256 GC to be played at large settings.

The AI needs tweaking but there are some absolute class touches like the skeletons grabbing hapless co enemies and using them as a shield while they let rip with sawn off's.. The weapons are superb the Painkiller has great potential to be used with a lithium type setup.

painkiller.jpg

The crossbow / stake gun that fires 3" lumps of sharpened hickory towards the enemy 0wns! (skewer them on the wall)

stakegun.jpg

The music can get on your tits after a while, I love 'evy metal but turn the music right down and listen to the ambient noises, its like the scene from the exorcist!

..that said though it looks like its shaping up to be a real dark gothic shoot fest, plenty of potential to be pushed in the right direction, this demo just scrapes the surface, if you took Duke Nukem, Doom, Quake and some elements from other games like UT and DK you would have Painkiller.. I just hope they release a Multiplayer Demo soon.... I hope more that Quake/Doom orientated FPS fans will pick up on its finer qualities...

Painkiller is a FPS killer but its time to upgrade, you can pick the Radeon 9600 256 Pro and XT ver for about £100 now (a steal).

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Submit=search&Category=15

If you like dark, gothic with a slash em up good vs evil modern day angel slant then check it out...

Its going to be out on the Xbox too....

http://www.painkillergame.com/

babs

Can't get enough of FH
I'm looking forward to this, finally a FPS worth playing that isn't a realism one. and not all spam either *coff*UT*coff*. The rocket feels really close to the original Q1 rocket.

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Is it worth downloading the demo? There are 2 single player demos. Which is more enjoyable? I'm really enjoying Farcry at the moment and am looking for other First Person Shooters (A genre that passed me by due to 2 years of hardcore mmorpg playing)

Any recommendations? :D

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
If you have to choose between them, I'd recommend downloading the first demo - for a start, you get 3 levels instead of 1. If you've got the bandwidth though, get both.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Uhhh what, hold on. From what I've read on the official website, there's no cooperative multiplayer mode? God DAMMIT.

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah I would download both and have a go, use a download manager if your on Modem. Its worth it in my opinion.

As for co - op it would be a nice touch, but with all the game types provided I'm sure you won't be bored of things to do.. but co - op would be fun!

Go on dispense some pain you know you want too. ;)

Actually has anyone else found any more secrets in the latest demo? Being an old git I have only found one (second from bottom).

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
I've got 0.5mb broadband so it shouldn't be to bad. 60kb/s cap.
Does anyone have a good mirror for either demo? I want to check it out. :D

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
I got the full game on Thursday *coughs* and I have to say it's rather good fun. It's sort of like Serious Sam crossed with Quake... it has the evil pentagram dark type element of Quake.. whilst it has the near endless spawn of monsters of Serious Sam... the combination is good and the game is fun. It's pretty much a no brainer progress through levels that are simple and obvious type thing... lots of carnage.. not much ammo.. good fun really... The jumping thing is almost trying to emulate bunnyhopping too hard and I feel it detracts from the game a bit being so easy to do, but that's just me... I haven't tried multiplayer yet either so can't comment on that but I'm sure it would be a laugh... the engine is good and it looks good too.. although the levels can be a little bland and boring in parts, there are wide expanses of nothingness at times and whilst this suits the game it may leave you wanting a bit more...

Guess that just about sums it up :)

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
Wij said:
Aha. Something sensible to base a purchase decision on :)

I agree the MP aspect is a BIG issue for many of us. Warhog from PK Euro has made a big update concerning this very issue and others :

A chat with [PCF]Adrian posted in the columns section (covers the Electro Driver issue amongst others)

The PK v1.1 patch changes explained by Brian Gladman (Head Marketing bod for DreamCatchers)

and....

a list of the following reviews, these of course include the multiplayer side too :

Game-Over.net

YahooGames

Frictionless Insight

HomelanFed

IGN**

PCArena

Great stuff, roll on the 19th of April :)

**Apparently this review has caused a bit of a going on, much gossip abound... all good stuff. You can catch up with the backlash here

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom