Packet sniffers

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Afaik radar works (or rather did work) via packet sniffing, now i use a packetsniffing programme called commview for when i think a have a trojan/hacker/spyware i cant detect in my system and i want to know were infomation is going, now i was thinking if i accidently lefft commview on when i started up daoc, would it set off radar detecting alarms and result in me getting banned? or would the camelot be able to tell if it was interacting with the infomation being sent or not, i was just wondering as there are legitmate packet sniffing programmes that arnt radar, in the meantime i will make sure it off when i start daoc :p

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
is there no option for exlusions on it? so i doesnt read the daoc traffic?

Celestino

Fledgling Freddie
The short answer:
You won't be banned for it

The long answer:
There are 2 common ways of getting the information you need for a radar
#1 packet sniffing
#2 reading it from the memory
The first method is undetectable as mythic's stance is not to violate a players privacy by leaving their own process and checking a whole machine for 3rd party tools
But they went another way to prevent cheating and introduced packet encryption with 1.68, so any sniffer picking up packets would have to decrypt them first using a key he doesn't have to be able to use the packets for stuff like radar
So with 1.68 all the radars started using method #2 taking the required data from the memory after it was decrypted by the game.
Now mythic was able to detect tools accessing their data as the programs had to read memory allocated to mythics process.
In the end there was a short cat and mouse game, mythic banning ppl, radar programmers limiting memory access to only reading the key, mythic changing key locations etc but they always had to access memory allowing mythic to get a hold of them.

Now your packetsniffer works completly outside of mythics process, reading packets off ur network before it even reaches any programs, and producing only encrypted data you can't use for radaring anyway
You should be save using it even during the game as long as mythic/goa didn't change their stance regarding player privacy during my absence from the game which is unlikely as it simply isn't necessary.

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
you might be better rightnowing your request regarding a packet sniffer and getting a confirmed goa reply.

Although i cant see whats wrong it would only be if you started to read the packets and work out what doac is sending and thus utilising it to radar.

Double checkwith goa if your unsure of anything.

ceixava

Fledgling Freddie
theres no way to detect a packet sniffer, it does nothing to the packets

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom