Film Pacific Rim

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Fan...fucking...tastic. Don't think about the logic of giant robots being used to defend against giant monsters (seriously, don't), just watch the spectacle. Works in the way the Transformers films emphatically don't. The sense of scale actually does work. And oh yes, Idris Elba, Ron Perlman and some spectacular cheese; reminds me a lot of Independence Day actually; don't think about it, enjoy it.

ileks

Part of the furniture
People I might go with want to see it in 3D. Is it worth it? I really didn't like Superman in 3D.

DaGaffer

I'm not a huge 3D fan myself, but it looked fine here, not as "cardboard-cutouty" as usual.

Chilly

Balls of steel
It's the blur and the darkness that ruin 3D for me. high quality 2d is so much clearer and sharper and better looking.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I can't be arsed with 3D, I think I'll watch this in regular 2D. Plus, seeing it during the day means I can pay for a normal seat and get a premier seat for nowt (empty).

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Fan...fucking...tastic. Don't think about the logic of giant robots being used to defend against giant monsters (seriously, don't), just watch the spectacle. Works in the way the Transformers films emphatically don't. The sense of scale actually does work. And oh yes, Idris Elba, Ron Perlman and some spectacular cheese; reminds me a lot of Independence Day actually; don't think about it, enjoy it.

Interesting. I've been kinda expecting it to be shit. Don't get me wrong, I love me a good no-brainer popcorn muncher and as much as I like del Toro I'd not really thought this would turn out to be good. I took a nosey at IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes and it seems to be getting good ratings there too.

Will

/bin/su
I enjoyed it, but I struggled to switch my brain off enough to ignore some of the glaring internal consistency fails. I watched it in 2D.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
I grew up on japanese monster movies, and i loved every minute if this film.

Its silly, cheesy, cliched, predictable, and ultimatly brilliant for all of those reasons.

If your a mecha fan, go see it.
If your a kaiju monster movie fan, go see it.
If your an action movie fan, go see it.
If fact, just go see it.

Its an awsome and reverent nod to both the mecha and kaiju genres at the same time... And i love it for that.

Plus... Giant robots punching out giant monsters!!!!

GO SEE IT!!!

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Incredible film! Nice to see an action movie where you can, you know, see the action also, suck a dick shaky cam and 1000% zoom magnification bull arse!

I'd also absolutely love to get a framed poster of this:
Pacific-Rim-03.jpg

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
Loved it, full of action. Only thing I could fault about it was I didn't like Burn Gorman's character.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Keep finding myself trying to come up with Jaeger Names...

Omega Lancer
Oblivion Inferno
Blastzone One
Ironhand Dragon

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Watched it the other week. Was hugely disappointed.

Yes, the action was fantastic. The rest of the film was utter, utter wank.

DaGaffer

What "rest of the film"? There was no rest of the film. Was there?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Action is excellent, rest of film akin to ID4s non-action bits(does the job), no deep story arcs and no extra sideorder of bullcrap.

Could best be described as a chickflick for men :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What "rest of the film"? There was no rest of the film. Was there?

Pretty much agree with you there. The bits in between the great action sequences failed so spectacularly that I came out of the film feeling pretty empty.

I would have preferred to have watched an old godzilla movie. At least the pefunctory storylines gave you someone to care about before watching two hilariously dressed blokes kick seven shits out of each other. Yes, the action was cheesy, but the old movies were better films IMO...

(does the job)

Nah. I didn't think it even did that. 3 of us came out and went "meh" and wished we'd stayed in the pub...

DaGaffer

Pretty much agree with you there. The bits in between the great action sequences failed so spectacularly that I came out of the film feeling pretty empty.

I would have preferred to have watched an old godzilla movie. At least the pefunctory storylines gave you someone to care about before watching two hilariously dressed blokes kick seven shits out of each other. Yes, the action was cheesy, but the old movies were better films IMO...

Nah. I didn't think it even did that. 3 of us came out and went "meh" and wished we'd stayed in the pub...

What did you fucking expect? Ibsen? Its giant robots fighting Kaiju. It did exactly what it said on the tin. Plus Ron Perlman. I think you're overthinking this.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What did you fucking expect? Ibsen? Its giant robots fighting Kaiju. It did exactly what it said on the tin. Plus Ron Perlman. I think you're overthinking this.

Nah. I just wanted something flimsy to hold on to. Maybe care about the characters *a tiny amount* - full in the knowledge of how dumb it was. I can leave my brain at the door. I very much enjoyed Independence Day - thought it was a great laugh.

This bored me to tears and I couldn't wait for the end. Which is a shame as I'm a big fan of the genre :(

leggy

Probably Scottish
Looks dumb as fuck. I'm totally going to see it tonight.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Better than I was expecting, but not good.

Why didn't they just use the sword from the start?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Lots of plot holes, lots of rubbish (two brains in dinos etc) but I thought it was excellent. Remove brain and enjoy.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Just got it and watched the first 15 mins last night, looking forward to sitting down and seeing the whole thing.

Yes it looks like Tranformers and is probably as popcorn too, but thats what these type of films are all about

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Certainly not the worst film I've seen..

WHO LIVES IN THE CRATER UNDER THE SEA?!
SPOGEBOB FUCKING GODZILLAPANTS!!

had to do it :(

Last edited:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yes it looks like Tranformers and is probably as popcorn too,

I think transformers is a deep retrospective into the deepest insights of the human psyche compared, but yeah popcorn at its finest ;)

fettoken

I am a FH squatter

This.

Shuddered though out the whole movie when those characteristically American lines and cliche´s were delivered. Not in a good way.

Only good 3D movie was Resident Evil: Afterlife

soze

I am a FH squatter
As a generic action film I actually enjoyed this. And I though they explained the delays ect fairly well. It is by no means film of the year but as a bit of background entertainment it was decent.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Spectacular, cheesy and enough holes in the plot to sink the Titanic a 100 times over but really enjoyed watching it with the family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom