Overheating problem?

Influenza

Part of the furniture
Just built a P4 and its crashing randomly but nearly always when im running 2 daoc accounts.
The game freezes with continuos sound loop and i have to reset the PC.

Im not sure what the problem is but ive got a feeling its heat related, when idle the cpu temp is 40-47C but when under full load ( with 1 account ) its 63-67C and when under full load with 2 accounts its 65-70C.
Been in touch with a few computer shops where i live , also searched the net for P4 heat problems , and apparently 60C+ is pretty much acceptable for the CPU im using.
Ive tried 2 different heatsink/fans , the stock one (which had temperatures upto 73C ) and a coolermaster Jet 4 which seems to have drops the temps by about 5C.

Parts are...

Gigabtye GA8KNXP
Pentium 4 "Prescott" 3.0 Ghz with Hyper Threading
Hercules Radeon 9600 XT
1GB (2x512 matched pair) Corsair PC3200
400W PSU
Soundblaster live 5.1

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
Afaik both P4 and AMDs CPUs can hold 70+ for quite a while...but it does sound very hot...is the casing getting enuff air inside? air flow is very important..especially with newer CPU types..and GFX cards. has to be air goin in aswell as out :)

Get a few case fans if u dont already..or mebbe a better CPU cooler if ur still usin the In-a-box thing :)

[edit]
missed the part where u say u've tried to 2 diff coolers :p i dont know the jet 4, but i know Zalman and thermaltake 2 brands who usually make good qua coolers

/Dracus

Xplo

Banned
I have the same problem but its not always when my cpu heat is 60+

uktomuk

Fledgling Freddie
What i did

When i was trying to run 2 versions of TOA on one system i found that it wud become unstable and crash.. my sysem spec was..
3.2ghz intel 4
2gb ram
geforce fx 5900 256mb ddr
400 watt PSU
.. was running at about 60 - 70 with 2 copies...

So i got a new heatsink.. now it runs below 60 all the time :> but the crashing countined... soo i guessed that i needed more power :> so i got a 600 watt PSU an it seems to have worked :>

emma

Loyal Freddie
Over 55c CPU`s get very flaky under presure without decent cooling. My AMD can run low cpu use programs without a problem at 50c+ but anything that puts alot of load on the CPU can cause it to stall and crash.

60c+ for a P4 seems very hot, most tend to be around 35-40c mark. I`d recommend getting a better CPU Fan, and possibly getting a couple case fans to remove any hot air inside the case.

DAoC is particulary dodgy when it comes to high tempretures on CPU`s. Anything above 55c on my AMD and DAoC crash`s out even if other games are fine.

Which is why when running 2 Accounts, i have all case fans on (4 in total) and a nice 12" deskfan near my comp to keep cool air around the machine ;p bloody freezing in my room though :(

Influenza

Part of the furniture
Update..........

It only happens with 2 accounts running (SI or TOA) even though the temp is now the same when running 1 or 2 accs.

Yesterday i ran a 2 hour CPU test program and tonight a 2 hour RAM test , didnt get a single error on either test.

Gonna get a couple of new case fans tommorow , hopefully ones that dont sound like lawnmowers.
Then if that fails im gonna try a different sound/gfx card.

If it still crashes guess its a motherboard/hyper threading problem.

CliffyG

Fledgling Freddie
Try leaving the side of your case open before buying a load of new stuff. If it still does it like that it's not your cooling.

Influenza

Part of the furniture
Turned fast writes off on the radeon = fixed :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom