Overclocking, help.

C

Ch3tan

Right reading the reviews for the shuttle sb61 I am getting I found that its very easy to overclock, as in its stable.

So I belive I can push the p42.6 I am getting safely up to 3ghz.

But and this is a big but, I have never overclocked in my life, nor do I fully understand it. So, help me please. Links, advice, full on guide.

Cheers :)

S

smurkin

Ch3tan...was this the review your were referring to: [Hard]Ocp

It certainly confirms that you can do 2.4c to 3.0 and beyond :D

C

Ch3tan

Yep thats the review. Cheers for the link silverhood. Got to wait till at least Wednesday for my shuttle, microdirect wanted proof of address, which I couldnt fax till I finished work :/

T

Teh Krypt

Originally posted by Ch3tan
Yep thats the review. Cheers for the link silverhood. Got to wait till at least Wednesday for my shuttle, microdirect wanted proof of address, which I couldnt fax till I finished work :/

Aye they are buggers (in a good and bad way :p). I thought it was because I orderd from my mums CC but not to her address, so orderd with my dads and still had same problem.

So I phoned them, said I have no fax machine or scanner and they sent it next day :)

S

smurkin

Theres another review here (SFF tech - cant remember if this was already mentioned - sadly I dont have a couple of hours to check the shuttle uber thread :D ) with overclocking the SB65G2....this one has an in-built wireless LAN !

T

Teh Krypt

While we are at it i'll leech the thread :p.

I have a shuttle (same one as in that [Hard]Ocp link) with a P4 2.6ghz 800fsb processor.

I decided to overclock it, put it up to 230mhz which came out at 3ghz, works fine in windows, when I play a game it will randomly freeze :(. Any ideas? :p

W

Will

Originally posted by Clowneh!
Change it back.
What Clowneh said. You've upped the FSB to 920MHz. Without any other changes, I'm not surprised games are freezing.

T

Teh Krypt

Originally posted by Will
What Clowneh said. You've upped the FSB to 920MHz. Without any other changes, I'm not surprised games are freezing.

Ok.. what other changes need to be made? Don't say 'You shouldnt overclock if you don't know what your doing' ect :p.

W

Will

You should probably increase the vcore. However, I'm not an overclocker, so I'd check that first before you do. Your system will running hotter when you boost this, but it should also be more stable.

C

Ch3tan

From all reviews he should be fine without increasing the vcore, just change it down 5mhz at a time untill its stable. I'm still reading a lot into the overclocking, so I am no expert in this, but wouldnt the fact that he only has pc2700 ram affect his system stability when overclocking?

From reading the sfftech forums it seems you can flash the 61g2 bios with the 65g2 .bin file. Allows you to increase the fsb much further than the 61g2 allowed, disables the onboard gfx though.

C

Ch3tan

Well I took the plunge, upped my fsb by a whole 5mhz :)

I will move it up another 5 later, everything seems fine, been using pcmark, 3dmark and sandra and it has improved the performance without any extra heat or stability problems so far.

I can't get my head around memory timings, I can't really find good easy to understand info on it either, so can someone please post their understanding?

C

Ch3tan

Got the FSB to 215, so my p4 2.6 is now running as a p4 2.8. Sandra and pc mark give much higher scores and prime95 hasn't given any errors yet.

T

Teh Krypt

Bah go on 225 is 2.93ghz, im runing that, stable with only 2700 ram

C

Ch3tan

220 now. You may be running that stable with pc2700 ram, but I really don't want to stress my components that much. I'm going to go slowly up and see what happens. That way I won't get the problems that I am sure you are going to.

BTW saw your post on the forum silverhood linked to. Helped me understand the memory ratio abit.

E

Embattle

Nice, see its helping you in the benchmarks thread although the thread has had its sticky status removed and thus is towards the bottom.

M

Mr.Monkey

Don't mess around with the voltage settings at all.

Not untill you don't have to ask about what it does. It's the one thing that really can kill your cpu dead in one deft movement.

Different peopel recommend different things when overclocking, but there are two basic components to it:

FSB speed
Clock multiplier

Each one can be adjusted independantly and both affect the final clockspeed.
There are plently of guides, do a google search and read away.

But the overall rule is: Do nothing in big steps. Start small. Then you will be safe.

And don't necessarily do something because only one person says it, check that it is corobberated by other sources, as there are many people that will offer advice that may work for them, but will not work on any other setup.

C

Ch3tan

Yeah its made quite a difference in benchmarks Emb, I went back down to 215 though as prime95 gave errors after about 30 minutes of torture testing @ 220. I wasn't experiencing crashes or any stability problems, but I'd like for it not to get maths wrong :)

Could the failure in the toture test be down to memory, or is it just as far as my CPU can be pushed?

Willer or Xav, can one of you please re-sticky the benchmarks thread, at least until this Technation database is live.

C

Ch3tan

Right, I think I have figured this. Running my ram at ddr400 means that its snychronised with the FSB, thus if I run my FSB at 220, then memory will be running at 220 as well.

However if I change my ram setting to ddr333, or 5:4 ratio (god that confused the hell out of me when I was trying to translate the overcloking forums). The FSB for the memory will no longer be synchronus, so I could clock my memory back up towards 200.

Is it worth running the memory slower and getting more out of the CPU, or is it better to leave the memory running as fast as it can and having a slighlty slower CPU speed.

Please correct me if I am wrong here. Thanks :)

W

Will

Originally posted by Ch3tan
Is it worth running the memory slower and getting more out of the CPU, or is it better to leave the memory running as fast as it can and having a slighlty slower CPU speed.
That is one of the few areas where I feel benchmarking would actually help you make up your mind.;)

X

Xavier

wherever possible, running CPU and memory synchronously produces better overall results because of the interleave effect... unless you're talking a huge diff between the cpu and memory bus speeds

so if there were only a delta of 10Mhz between the two, running the faster and more tolerant of the two back 10Mhz so that they run at the same frequency would probably prove more beneficial.

That said, if you had a 266FSB CPU but 400Mhz memories, the delta is so large you'd be at the far end of the tradeoff curve, and the extra 66Mhz DDR would be in your favour.

Note: That [H]ardOCP article like any other is a guide, it doesn't confirm that any CPU other than the one they specifically tested will reach a given frequency, the reason after all Intel sell slower CPUs still is in part because they have to deal with the known tolerances of entire batches of silicon, not just a handful of chips.

Xav

C

Ch3tan

Thanks Embs :)

Up to 230FSB now, using 5:4 for ram. 3.0ghz CPU :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom