Overclockers Forums?

Jarakin

One of Freddy's beloved
Hey guys, anyone else here an OcUK forumite that's wondering wtf @ the cryptic message on the OcUK forums just now? :(

Jarakin

One of Freddy's beloved
Well that certainly is alot less cryptic when in context! Thanks ;)

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
i have to ask jarakin, how old are you ?

and before im stunned to complete silence, are you in the commonwealth or not ? :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
For the Fallen

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill; Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres,
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them. We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain.

Laurence Binyon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jarakin

One of Freddy's beloved
i have to ask jarakin, how old are you ?

and before im stunned to complete silence, are you in the commonwealth or not ? :)

What exactly does age have to do with it, I fail to see your point.

Yes, I am.

Mabs

im appalled that you dont know that, thats why i asked

agewise, it seems to be going out of fashion to actually care about these things, so i was assuming your on the young side

mank!

Part of the furniture
if you're old enough to type you ought to know about armistice day.

Uara

Part of the furniture
Yeah it is a bit of a shock that you didn't know its armistice/remembrance day! I know when I was at school only 4 years ago we always had 2 minutes silence etc and always had a church service that day as well. Plus the poppies everywhere kinda give it away as well!
Plus its the 90 year anniversary of the end of world war 1 (which was where it came about from if your wondering) been alot in the news and newspapers!

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
So many lives lost so many young lives.

For what?

A country infested with parasites, OAP muggers and scum, I truly hope there isn't an afterlife because the dead from those wars must be crying now.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
im appalled that you dont know that, thats why i asked

agewise, it seems to be going out of fashion to actually care about these things, so i was assuming your on the young side

I thought there was a real lack of poppy charity boxes this year as well. The only time I saw one I did not have any money on me.

Usually they come round and ask to set up at work, but they did not this year.

I work in a shopping centre in London and it is in a very diverse area. Had announcements from the centre from 10:30 onwards notifying people of the two minutes silence, it was sad how many people totally ignored it. Lots of Europeans and Africans who really should have observed the silence because their lives would be very different today otherwise.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
It was beautiful at school - a real sign of respect in my opinion that the only time I ever witness the school being dead quiet is this time every year :)

taB

Part of the furniture
Had a minor disagreement with the British Legion guy yesterday, he turned up to take the box away because Remembrance Sunday had been and gone. Had to point out that it was only the 10th...

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I saw three old soldiers on telly, with the really old one (112!!!) reminiscing how he'd slipped and fell in a shell hole which saved his life, but did cause him to be rained on with the parts of his not so lucky comrades. listening to his gravelly old voice speak of the horrors of war had me in tears.

We will remember them.

Mabs

We will remember them.

sadly, i dont think we will

next year is last official ceremony for D-Day landings, and with 90 years of WW1 this year , i think in 20 years people wont even remember it happened :\

taB

Part of the furniture
I was priveleged to know my Great Grandfather until I was 16 when he passed away aged 96 (within 3 months of his wife of 75 years). He taught me my first (and only) card trick :)

He was born at the end of the 19th century and lied about his age so he could enlist with a Scottish regiment and go to fight for his friends and his country. During one offensive he was gassed and left for dead, only to be captured by the Germans. Being a PoW in the first war was a bit different to the second. He was sent to Eastern Germany to work on a farm where he remained until the end of the war. Then he had to pretty much make his own way home. As with almost every person in this country I had many other relatives who weren't so lucky.

I consider myself fortunate to have known both of them.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I often drink in the local working mens club, most of which are affilated with ex servicemans clubs and the likes, and as a result I get to mingle with a lot of the very people who's friends and allies we strive to remember. They might be a load of old codgers every other day of the year to the average joe on the street, but we certainly shouldn't forget that if it wasn't for their gallantry and sacrifice, we'd all be speaking German and under some form of communist regime.

What do we have instead? We're now allies with Germany, trade/business links are very strong, fantastic sporting competition, and learn German to a degree at school. Thing's couldn't really be much better, other than sorting out the chav/general moron problem but that's a problem shared with just about every other part of the planet.

These people did nothing less than shape the world to be what it is today. Just as importantly, we (most of us, anyway!) are still British, and proud to remain so.

I can only hope that what happened is not forgotten, nor the lives of those that made a difference. It sort of surprises me that the 11th of November is the only day many people, even the avid poppy wearers and the likes, tend to actually stop and think about it.

sayward

Resident Freddy
My favourite poet is Wilfred Owen, he's well worth a read.

It was once said that the anti war, flower power children, of the 60's were the teenaged boys killed in the First World War, re incarnated. It's a nice thought.

Uara

Part of the furniture
I kno I will remember them. My grandad was in the 2nd World War in the RAF he was shot down over the mediterranean and captured by Germans escaping from an Allied PoW camp in a rubber dinghy. Luckily for him the HMS Paladin was patrollling the med and picked them up, rescuing my grandfather and capturing the germans. Things could have turned out significantly differently!!

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
sadly, i dont think we will

next year is last official ceremony for D-Day landings, and with 90 years of WW1 this year , i think in 20 years people wont even remember it happened :\

I have reasons to doubt that. For example, these guys have been remembering the fallen of WWI for quite a while and they don't seem to be stopping any time yet.

Still, I can see where you're coming from. I hope it won't be the case though.

melter65

Fledgling Freddie
but we certainly shouldn't forget that if it wasn't for their gallantry and sacrifice, we'd all be speaking German and under some form of communist regime.

Can I just point out that if the Germans had won WWII then we would have been under a Fascist regime, not a Communist one. However I do agree with all your other points in the post! :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I often drink in the local working mens club, most of which are affilated with ex servicemans clubs and the likes, and as a result I get to mingle with a lot of the very people who's friends and allies we strive to remember. They might be a load of old codgers every other day of the year to the average joe on the street, but we certainly shouldn't forget that if it wasn't for their gallantry and sacrifice, we'd all be speaking German and under some form of communist regime.

Not to belittle the efforts of our veterans and politicians, but 'speaking German' is something often mentioned which is completely untrue. Hitler had no viable plans to invade Britain, it would have been practically impossible.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Both are assumptions based on something that never happened - we could easily be speaking German regardless of whether Britain was invaded or not.
Either way, how we stand now, as one, is testament to everything that was done during those 2 wars.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Not to belittle the efforts of our veterans and politicians, but 'speaking German' is something often mentioned which is completely untrue. Hitler had no viable plans to invade Britain, it would have been practically impossible.

Sure, in the early 1940s.

However, if he'd actually got a couple of miles further into Moscow though and took it and the USSR had surrendered then he'd have effectively won the war in Europe and could have taken his own sweet time about when to invade Britain.

Of course the US nukes in 1945 could still have turned the war again.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Sure, in the early 1940s.

However, if he'd actually got a couple of miles further into Moscow though and took it and the USSR had surrendered then he'd have effectively won the war in Europe and could have taken his own sweet time about when to invade Britain.

Of course the US nukes in 1945 could still have turned the war again.

If the course of the war had taken a different turn, would those scientists the Us poached from Europe still have been there helping? Or would Nazi Germany get there first.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
regardless of what could have been we have to be thankful that it isnt,

i could write a long post but i dont think i need to we all know how much we owe to those heroes they will never be forgotten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom