News Over-reaction?

Larossa

Fledgling Freddie
BBC News - Call to ban rugby scrums in schools
Maybe we should ban all sports in schools in case someone gets hurt :(

Hands up = never played rugby at my all girls school but that soft ball was certainly misnamed!

Anyone got any thoughts? some of you guys must have played rugby at school surely?

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
BBC News - Call to ban rugby scrums in schools
Maybe we should ban all sports in schools in case someone gets hurt :(

Hands up = never played rugby at my all girls school but that soft ball was certainly misnamed!

Anyone got any thoughts? some of you guys must have played rugby at school surely?

Indeed I played rugby at school - grammar school, so you had to. I played for my school at fly half until I was 14. Then everyone got bigger and I didn't and got mashed (I'm 6'2"" now so I did catch up!)

There are so many pathetic molly-coddling BS decisions made about kids and sport nowadays in schools, but this one I actually see a point to. The scrum is a very hard thing to master and can hurt when got wrong, as it often does in schoolboy rugby both during locks and engaging.

The report bloke Pollock says ban high tackles too? They ARE banned you fookin' numpty, that's why they have the name HIGH tackles. Pollock? Pillock more like....:p

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Played rugby?
I was a prop for my school's team from age 11 to 14! :)
For those who don't know, a prop is in the front row of the scrum... one of those who slam heads and shoulders against the opposing side.

Sure it *could* be dangerous, but contact sports involve a risk of injury. Molly-coddling kids isn't helping them in the long-run. Allowing kids to experience risk allows them to assess personal risk for themselves later on in life.

georgie

FH is my second home
I could be talking out of my arse here, but if one of the props goes off in a professional match don't they then have baby scrums because of the risk of injuring non-proppy stand-in types?

I'm sure I remember seeing something like that at some point.

Gray

FH is my second home
It was apparently one of the few sports at school i was good at, but i absolutely fucking hated it. We had some right nobbers who would get in there and do wankerish shit, mainly involving kicking fuck out of your shins intentionally while within the scrum.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Um, its not scrums in all of union, its scrums in school rugby. I very much doubt the RFU agree with the findings of a bunch of do gooders.

eksdee

FH is my second home
at my school rugby was just an excuse of a sport for the fat kids who weren't good enough to play football ;p

either way, i don't think kids should be discouraged from doing excercise just because it 'could' be dangerous. if rugby is played properly and fairly, it isn't dangerous. just look at bad football tackles, you can easily break someone's leg with a bad challenge, but no one would ever consider not having football as a part of PE at school.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Smashed my collarbone playing rugby at school. Took the guy down and his boot collided with my collarbone. I didn't even fuckin' like the game but like Killarien, grammar school, so rugby was THE main sport. We hardly even touched football. It's nice to know I now have a permanently weak collarbone from a game I was pretty much forced to play. Wooo.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
lol but tbh they ban everything in school as soon as a child gets hurt. They banned playing tag in the playgrund because a dinner lady got knocked over, they banned playing conkers...they banned Drs and Nurses (OK not actually dangerous per se)

People just want to wrap their kids in a protective bubble to save them from everything, real and potential danger, then when the kids grow up they are useless because they have allergies to everything and are scared to try things in case they catch a germ, break a bone whatever.

Let em go out there get grazed shins and a broken arm or two, stop coddling them and just leave em alooone!!

this is an extreme example but I mean how many babies die of cot death every year? I mean cripes the poor little sods are just laying there in safe baby beds and they still die; it is horrible and very very sad but people die no matter how young or old they are, you cannot protect them from everything all the time.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It should be a choice, much like EVERYTHING they ban. (includes smoking bans etc.)

If your parents say it's ok for you to get pummeled in the field because you want to do it, fine. If not, don't have to and have alternate sports for you, or even alternate computer activities if you hate sports.

tierk

Part of the furniture
Our 1st XV used to play staff match's for all sports but they stopped the rugby after a particularly bad match. We all used to look forward to it as it was a chance to try and get one over the staff members we didn't like, though it was always the reverse.

- English -

Resident Freddy
tbh the difference in size and build between 11-15 can be insane. Some weak puny boy who hasnt started pubity vs some1 who has just gets dangerous imo.

tierk

Part of the furniture
tbh the difference in size and build between 11-15 can be insane. Some weak puny boy who hasnt started pubity vs some1 who has just gets dangerous imo.

What used to happen with us was that the big lads would rarely play with the smaller ones as they would get picked for the older boys teams. Having said that we used to play against a few schools that always seemed to have a Nigerian that looked like they were 25 years old playing in the under 15's team!! :)

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Just give them the choice to play football and the problem disappears

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I played rugby at school and fucking hated it.
So did everyone else.

There were maybe ~2 people out of 140 or so who liked it.
The only reason we played it was because we were forced to.

Fuck getting studs in your legs in the winter and playing until you're so cold you need 15 mins inside afterwards because you can even use your fingers will enough to do your buttons up.

Fuck you ***** and fuck your stupid fucking sport.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
pfft ponce, it was a a good excuse to pound people and get away with it.
If you were cold you were doing it wrong!

Marc

FH is my second home
Rugby is a great game to play. I started at under 8's and im still playing nearly 25 years later. Sure its hard and you can barely move on a sunday but I still get such a rush from playing it. Union was zzzzz to play though and the bigotry I received from the pimms drinkers was just laughable because I was a league boy.

In fact, most people miss out on the experience of playing team sports and its something I would recommend to any youngster.

gohan

FH is my second home
Played rugby?
I was a prop for my school's team from age 11 to 14! :)
For those who don't know, a prop is in the front row of the scrum... one of those who slam heads and shoulders against the opposing side.

Sure it *could* be dangerous, but contact sports involve a risk of injury. Molly-coddling kids isn't helping them in the long-run. Allowing kids to experience risk allows them to assess personal risk for themselves later on in life.

broke my collar bone as a prop :< bad times, was forced down in a scrum with the other team (all 15 of them i think) landing on my shoulder.

but did do a tour of italy with school rugbyteam, shouldn't be banned but needs better teaching, every 30 secs was a scrum down

gohan

FH is my second home
Just give them the choice to play football and the problem disappears

at our school 10 of the first 11 of the football team were in the rugby team, all were in the basket ball team and the cricket team

was basicly only like 30 decent players at any sport so was pretty much the same teams for everything, i didnt even like basket ball much and fucking hated cricket but ended up on both teams

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
The reason I had to stop was because I got my growth. I shot up in height and became gangly in a few weeks. It took a couple of years to fill out and get my proportions back.
That said, it was great when it came to basketball because there were 4 blokes over 190cm (myself included) and we always got chosen first for the teams. I couldn't dribble for shit, but I could drop a shot from beyond the 3 point circle most times.

You tend to get injuries from contact sports when someone isn't following the rules. If the game is refereed properly, you shouldn't get seriously hurt.

Hockey is the exception.

Larossa

Fledgling Freddie
I loved swimming and diving when I was a kid, pretty fearless at age 9!
I was a bit stunned to find out that most if not all public swimming baths no longer have diving facilities - i.e. high board and springboards and there usually is a notice that diving from the side is banned.

I don't have kids so personally I have no axe to grind but I think it's a shame if today's kids don't get to try out sports except for a few "safe" ones. My fella went to public school and got to do fencing! I would have killed to have a go at that when at school instead of hockey (My ankles still twinge when I remember the hockey :eek: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom