Outlook 2000 + IMAP + Novell Network == Pain

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
So I work in a place with a novell network and I've been trying to get outlook (or failing that groupwise) to connect to my IMAP Mail. Basically it can't connect to the server. I connect to the internet via a proxy server (surprised I'm sure :p) BUT when I ping the server it times out. I know the server is alive because I can get the web-mail working. I'm just wondering if you've come across this problem. Obviously the mail doesn't work, it spits out a 'cannot connect to server' message. I can connect to the mail server via outlook, I do it at home. We don't block 'ping packets' (UDP? :s) since I can ping other things.

I'm kinda stumped.

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
Have you spoken to the local network admin? Sounds like they've blocked IMAP traffic through the proxy...

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
phlash said:
Have you spoken to the local network admin? Sounds like they've blocked IMAP traffic through the proxy...
aye, I've access to it but can't be arsed to feck about with it AND I'm not sure where teh hell it is (the proxy access rules).

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
ping is ICMP. there are different types of ICMP too, and a good firewall can selectively block the different ones.

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Cheers TD, :( so I do have to go looking in the bowels of the network gumpf to get it to work. :eek:

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
well, yes, in a way :( good luck, my money is on something filtering packets nastilly, or even routing screwing up. you'll have to be sure of a clear path to the IMAP server before you can have your network peeplets locking things down again.

Ardrias

Fledgling Freddie
Why aren't you using GroupWise since you're in a Netware enviroment? :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom