Oshur tonight

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

That must have been one of the most fun fights so far - a sandstorm as sick as peasoup covering everything, nearly zero visibility... countless Barneys stumbling into the sights of my shotgun at point blank range.. :)

P

[PS]Mung

Yeah and what gets me about the weather effects....why doesn't anybody switch them off?

Makes visibilty much easier.:)

U

Uriron

I thought it really added to the atmosphere, stumbling around unable to see the enemy until they are right on top of you, hacking a side door not knowing if a couple of enemy maxes are gonna wander into the alcove at any second etc..

Bit more use of the weather systems could make a nice improvement to the game (if they removed the option to switch it off, tho I understand the problems that may cause for the peeps with PC's lacking in umph)

Also the nights could be made a bit nightier (ie pitch black instead of sea blue) add in night vision implants and flares, could be quite exciting to fire a flare off from a tower to reveal 20 enemy just creeping toward your tower.

Yeah yeah I know devs dont read this and I don't care:p

S

Sarum TheBlack

I think a lot of people do... explains how everyone shoots at me from way beyond my visual range half the time. :(

Should be an exploit.. absuing engine features to get an unfair advange on others :p

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Turning it off is a tad lame in terms of getting an advantage over players who don't.

Sandstorm is lagging your system down? Then replace the sandstrom by fog - actual better performance due to the low visibility/drawing distance and a fair chance against players with better hardware who like the immersion offered by those grand weather effects (*wants a battle during a blizzard*).

Battle at Oshur was one of these "wow" ones. Loved every minute of it... and used 4 spare points to get the JH again after all my funky Sweeper kills. ;)

P

[PS]Mung

Originally posted by Sarum TheBlack
I think a lot of people do... explains how everyone shoots at me from way beyond my visual range half the time. :(

Should be an exploit.. absuing engine features to get an unfair advange on others :p
Practise some self abuse then.

Er you know what i mean.

Turn it off yourself.

T

Turamber

Originally posted by [PS]Mung
Turn it off yourself.

I strongly disagree, just because someone wishes to abuse the game system doesn't mean others have to - or should. As suggested above the designers should implement another feature to cloud the field of fire for those turning weather effects off.

F

Faeldawn

Got caught in a sand-storm on solsar last night, makes sniping very difficult, but very rewarding :)

P

[PS]Mung

Originally posted by Turamber
I strongly disagree, just because someone wishes to abuse the game system doesn't mean others have to - or should. As suggested above the designers should implement another feature to cloud the field of fire for those turning weather effects off.

I wouldn't call having the game run smoothly an abuse of the game system.

If the issue is contentious, it's no good having a go at me for using the game options or for recommending people do it too.
It's entirely up to them whether they turn it on or off.
Quite frankly, you may have just said "Don't redefine your keys to make play easier." The features are there, so use ithem if you want.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

What is this world coming to? Turamber agreeing with me. ;)

It's a game feature - changing the tactical situation completely.
So it is lame to turn it off, having an easy go on disoriented people, struggling through a sandstorm.

And on what kind of shyte machines is everyone playing?
PI 90 mhz? :p

G

GregorFlambasto

Ok so does this mean you'll be objecting about people tuning down resolution, textures etc to get a better framerate, dropping sound quality from 32bit to 16bit and optimising the packet sizes of their connection to get a more enjoyable laggier free game ?

If its in as an option its an option.

W

Will

Things like weather effects are a grey area. Turning it off when your system can handle it "to gain an advantage" is a bit dodgy in my opinion. Its like configing in CS, just because you can doesn't make it right.

P

[PS]Mung

We should not blame each other for it either.
It's a feature of the game, placed there by the developers.
I choose to turn it off because of the performance hit, not because it gives me an advantage. This is possible because the developers had the forsight of such a performance hit and allowed players to switch it off.
To even the playing field they should improve the net code so it 'aint so laggy when the weather arrives, and remove the toggle for weather.

Knocking down the viewing distance with "distance fog" to replace the weather effects would look awful (have you tried reducing it?yuk!). I would suggest to the deveolpers (who we all know study these boards with avid interest:)) remove the weather altogether until they get their shit together and improve the net code in general.

M

mid_Efour

how long did this sandstorm last :( ive only seen one thunderstorm so far. It was damn good tho felt as real as a real storm would if it was real o_O good lightning and thunder etc.

S

Sarum TheBlack

Changing options to improve your machines performance is one thing... changing them to improve your own is another imo. Like people who replace the textures in other FPS's so all the walls are green and players red, or other things that create the same effect. Sure everyone could do it.. but the point is, it's a lame way to get an artificial advantage over people who are playing the game as it was designed to be played.

P

[PS]Mung

Originally posted by Sarum TheBlack
Changing options to improve your machines performance is one thing... changing them to improve your own is another imo. Like people who replace the textures in other FPS's so all the walls are green and players red, or other things that create the same effect. Sure everyone could do it.. but the point is, it's a lame way to get an artificial advantage over people who are playing the game as it was designed to be played.

Quite how it's "artificial" is beyond me since it's part of the game mechanics.
It doesn't go as far as modifying the game code at all so shouldn't be looked upon from such a lofty height.
This is not an advantage for a minority, we all have the ability to use it.
It is not an "exploit" being used by "Ch33torZZzz" it is a graphics option.
It is not lame at all in my eyes. I agree it spoils the atmosphere somewhat. I'd love to be able to have the weather effects on, I've even tried it when theres not much going on and it makes you feel incredibly vulnerable; the more immersion the better!

But some of us out in the real world can't afford a cray super computer to play it on and have to use what the developers have allowed us to do to be able to play the damn game.

Now can we call it a day with this subject.?

W

Will

Heh, you are talking across each other. Turning off weather so you can get double digit frames per second out of your older PC is fine, turning it off on your ninja PC so you can kill people who can't see you for fog is bad.

I like the eye candy too much.

S

Sarum TheBlack

It should be implimented so that having fancy weather on or off didn't change your effective draw distance. Its not really the fault of people who have no option but to turn it off that it does. But too many people (imo) turn it off for this 'side effect'. I'm not calling you a cheat because you do, or laughing at the fact you need to Mung (hell, my PC chugs in busy fights, and not just because I'm currently attempting to play on a 56K connection). Its knowingly using a feature of the game purely to attack people who can't fight back that I'm saying is wrong.

T

Turamber

Originally posted by Will.
Things like weather effects are a grey area. Turning it off when your system can handle it "to gain an advantage" is a bit dodgy in my opinion. Its like configing in CS, just because you can doesn't make it right.

^^

What he said. No issues here with people who have crappy PC's and can't cope with the weather effects ... but I have issues with people who turn off the weather simply to have an advantage over those who are fully immersed in the game environment.

Not all cheating requires hacking and coding... And, without wishing to start a flame war, thats what it appeared to me that Mung was recommending.

Of course I must have read it wrong though :)

G

Gekul

It's those that are turning it off that are missing out. Was a massive sandstorm on Ishundar a couple of days ago, with a large fight over Enkidu. Made the gameplay so much better, added a real atmosphere to the fight.
Was playing carmageddon with my Magrider, was great :D

And your first posts in this subject suggest turning it off for increased visibility Mung ;)

S

shilak

I just wish there were more weather fronts, they change the whole look of the battlefield and effectiveness of certain weapons. Anything that adds a little more diversity to the game is good IMHO. I also wish the nights were a lot darker, currently you can barely tell the difference between night and day, but then I guess ppl will just up their monitor brightness to compensate :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom