Original Painting

Damini

Part of the furniture
I don't know if anybody here buys or does much art, but I've recently nagged my brother back into painting, and he's doing some (in my opinion, but then I am bias) great paintings which he'd like to sell on to help raise some funds to get through uni, but neither of us have any idea how much paintings go for.

Here's an example (not yet finished)

JC.jpg

Anyone have any idea what would be a fair price? Or how much you'd charge for a commisioned work? Or how much you'd pay? They're done using oils, but the canvas is cheapey stuff from the local discount arts place. Anyone here a budding artist?

Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but isn't that Peter Parkers uncle from Spiderman?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Normally it depends on the time taken, and the size. For say something around 24x15 I normally see going for no less than £200.

If he wants to make money, I suggest he considers painting things that would look good in contemporary, modern homes. He should also consider getting some prints done. They sell for less, but you can sell more of them.

Have a look on Ebay, I've bought a few things on there that are quite nice.

Damini

Part of the furniture
Stimpy wins :) And then deleted his post to make me look like I'm imagining things... The late and the great Johnny Cash.

I think that painting is 12 by 16 inches canvas, but I'm not sure. My brother was saying he wouldn't sell it for less than £25, which seems very cheap indeed to me, but when you've never sold a piece of art before you have no idea where to start. We were looking at selling them on ebay, but all the pretense and self sell is all a little scary.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Its Johnny Cash!

I'm sure stuff about him might be worth a bit more.

<I attempted to make a really crap joke about Cash and cash but couldnt be bothered, you lucky people>

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Damini said:
Stimpy wins :) And then deleted his post to make me look like I'm imagining things... The late and the great Johnny Cash.

I think that painting is 12 by 16 inches canvas, but I'm not sure. My brother was saying he wouldn't sell it for less than £25, which seems very cheap indeed to me, but when you've never sold a piece of art before you have no idea where to start. We were looking at selling them on ebay, but all the pretense and self sell is all a little scary.
My mate has just spent a lot of money buying art of ebay so I say do it. But you may want to, first, tout it around a few local galleries. It will give him 1) A good reputation in the area 2) confidence to do more. The only problem being getting a gallery to take it :p

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Damini said:
Stimpy wins :) We were looking at selling them on ebay, but all the pretense and self sell is all a little scary.

The picture will sell itself. No other advertising is required. Oh, and £25 is about the lowest price he should expect.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
hello ms D, if your bro can do one like that of Thom Yorke I'll buy that for 25£ and I'll even pay shipping! :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
TdC said:
hello ms D, if your bro can do one like that of Thom Yorke I'll buy that for 25£ and I'll even pay shipping! :)
Ooo good call. I'd say me too, but I'm totally skint at the mo :\

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Oi, in this country its £25, not 25£

/euro rant

TdC

hey buddy, don't blame me when you guys do it wrong, ok?

:)

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
TdC said:
hey buddy, don't blame me when you guys do it wrong, ok?
:)
its as wrong as getting your girlfriend to blow you during her "off" period :eek6:

id stick with being wrong :)

TdC

ooh nasteh!! I'd never do that ;)

stormrider

Fledgling Freddie
Ebay is probably the best start just to see what people are willing to pay. Ive got quite a few friends who sell odd bits of memorbilia and other collectables who are always surprised what people will pay.
In the end if it appeals to someone they will pay a reasonable sum for it.

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
Established art I have one original, A Makenzie Thorpe, and a limited print of his too. The original cost an arm and a leg but has appreciated somewhat since I bought it. For non established art, i.e. a professional artist without the backing of a gallery and a word of mouth clientele (sp?) I bought a picture form an artist on the Jesmond Bridge at the Sunday market they hold there, for a framed picture I paid about 80 quid, the artist is there week in week out and he does a fair bit of trade.
So in answer to the question, art sells, obviously well known art sells better but unknown art sells too, professional artists will do their own framing and charge you accordingly, 30 - 40 quid more than for an unframed one. As a means of making money to get through college/uni it's possibly not as good as a bar job and will certailny be a lot less dependable. I think the crux is to get the work seen by a lot of people, if there is a weekly arts fair or similair locally I would suggest, that after he has a sufficient portfolio, where selling a few bits won't make his stock appear to be too low he acquires a pitch or if that is not an option asks to share one. The thing about art is it's hit and miss, one week he may sell a dozen pieces the next month he may sell none :mad:
Well I think thats enough of my inane rambling.

Good luck Damini's brother, let us know where your selling them so we can pass the word :D

Later

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Paint some in Van Gogh's home town and i'll be willing to bet my life they'd sell for vast amounts more.

"painted in Van Gogh's hometown..."

If it was something of interest to me, such as a portrait of me (;)), i'd pay ~£100 at least. Hell, a decent big print from Ikea is going to skin you £30 so a good painting is bound to be a lot more?

G

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Go to a contemporary gallery, a proper one not Athena.
Ask their advice, they may even put some of his work up for sale.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I'd stick it on Ebay, bidding starting at 50 quid.... It's a very nice painting, so you might get lucky :)

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
Damini said:
I don't know if anybody here buys or does much art, but I've recently nagged my brother back into painting, and he's doing some (in my opinion, but then I am bias) great paintings which he'd like to sell on to help raise some funds to get through uni, but neither of us have any idea how much paintings go for.

Here's an example (not yet finished)

JC.jpg

Anyone have any idea what would be a fair price? Or how much you'd charge for a commisioned work? Or how much you'd pay? They're done using oils, but the canvas is cheapey stuff from the local discount arts place. Anyone here a budding artist?

Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Why is it just his head in the painting? It's a nude model!

:D

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
Paintings are worth much more when the artist is dead.....maybe i've been watching too much emerdale this week :m00:

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
That's *ACE*!

Seriously, I really like that style. I'd would most probably buy one if the model was someone of interest to me...

Damini

Part of the furniture
Swift^ said:
That's *ACE*!

Seriously, I really like that style. I'd would most probably buy one if the model was someone of interest to me...

Well, suggest some people that would be of interest, and if my brother feels like painting any of them I'll give you a heads up. He's painting the most amazing shark painting as a gift for Kenny.

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
Check out local art events and things... see if theres a local arts society running exhibitions at various venues... try and get a few of his best pieces shown there... people will purchase what they like from such exhibitions and it may get his name or style known to people. There are a lot of people who like to browse at images then buy them.. things that have already been completed... but there are a lot who have requests for pictures too and that can be lucrative...

ebay seems a decent way to go... could try whacking some print versions of everything he does on a site like deviantprints to make a bit more cash :)

Damini

Part of the furniture
Hey there - an update. My brother's started selling paintings locally (getting around £50 a time, which is nice) so I'd like to say thanks to you guys for the encouragement. He read all the comments, and it gave him a good old motivational kick up the bum. Here's some of the latest paintings if anyone is interested:

BillHicks.jpg

ThomYorke%20.jpg
(not finished)

With Withnail and I impending, Spock, the Blues Brothers, and on personal request from me, Bubb from Day of the Dead. When he's got enough paintings done, we're going to set up a little shop on ebay.

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
Is that Tom Yorke? About to be attacked by a shark..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom