Ordering Region 1 Boxsets

J

Jonny_Darko

I want to order this: http://www.playusa.com/playusa.asp?page=title&r=R1&title=138394

And judging by the earlier thread I started most of you do as well.

Can anyone recommend who best to order Region1 boxsets off though? Ideally I'd like to avoid paying a huge tax when it gets here, and Play has the following message:

"The product you have selected will be shipped from North America and may be subject to import duties and taxes once it reaches your country. These and any additional charges must be borne by you. If you agree to pay these additional charges should they be levied click I AGREE below. If you do not wish to order this product click I DISAGREE below."

If there's no way to avoid it, can anyone warn me with a rough idea of how much they'll want from me i'd appreciate it. Nothing will stop me getting hold of this!

J

Jonny_Darko

Sorry but what about them - they somehow get around import tax?

Sorry I just want to make sure!

edit: Splash DVD doesn't do region 1! Wake up! :)

W

What The

Customs 'know' about PlayUSA and will try to nab you if they can. Other places can get through marked as gift.

T

Trem

It appears Splash have stopped doing region 1, sorry.

S

SoWat

I've always used Movietyme . Stuff does take a while to arrive, but I've never had to pay taxes on any of my orders.

Prices are in Pounds too, which is nice.

T

Tom

No way to avoid paying duties unfortunately, unless you know somebody whom is VAT registered, they might be able to put it through their books.

D

Durzel

Customs is a lottery, there's no definite way to escape paying duty/VAT outside of the normal "gift" regulations.

J

Jonny_Darko

Well how do they work? I am buying it for a gift. For...um...my DVD player.

A

adams901

Out of the 30+ Region 1 disks I have ordered from playusa I have only ever been charged custom on 2 of them.

None of my stargate boxed sets were charged, only babylon 5 Season 2 and 3 were (which I found strange as they are smaller than the stargate boxes).

I guess it all depends if you are lucky or not.

J

Jonny_Darko

and just out of interest how much did they charge?

A

adams901

it was either £6 per package or £12 (I think it was £12)

J

Jonny_Darko

that's not the end of the world. Sod it, I'll go for Play.

T

Tom

Originally posted by adams901
Out of the 30+ Region 1 disks I have ordered from playusa I have only ever been charged custom on 2 of them.

None of my stargate boxed sets were charged, only babylon 5 Season 2 and 3 were (which I found strange as they are smaller than the stargate boxes).

I guess it all depends if you are lucky or not.

They'll get caught eventually, and might be forced out of business. Dangerous game to 'play'.

If you know somebody in the states who can buy the discs for you, and then send them onto you with a letter saying 'hello mate how r u etc etc heres that box set you wanted to borrow' then you won't get charged.

D

Durzel

It depends.. without getting embroiled into a big Customs debate - it really does depend on how arsey they want to be.

As you say, most small/low value things will slip by (I think anything under £18 is exempt anyway) but writing "Gift", etc isn't a sure fire way of escaping duty/VAT. I got nailed big time on a set of wheels for my car despite declaring them as a "gift", and "used wheels".. they're wise to all the tricks really.

Y

Yaka

durz mate yer should asked the guy who sold you em to write on the package that they are warrnty returns, i got some gun metal rims imported from america and paid no taxes

O

Ono

Get your R1 DVD Boxsets from www.dvdsoon.com

I've ordered loads off them - Indy Box, ET Anniversary, LotR with Bookends etc and all have sailed passed Customs.

PlayUSA are getting hit quite regularly now. I got the Fantasia Anthology from them which is quite a small box and still got nabbed.

Oh, and DO NOT USE SPLASH. Shocking company.

O

old.milou

Originally posted by Ono
Oh, and DO NOT USE SPLASH. Shocking company.
Glad you said that - I won't use 'em again. I ordered a few films and books, all of which were in stock and would be despatched within 5-7 days. The films arrived in dribs and drabs over the next month and 2 months on, the books have yet to arrive.

Mail from Splash sent Fri 31/10/2003 15:36:

Apologies for the delay in sending blah blah out to you but we
have had to wait for our supplier to get their stock in. They have now got some in and we should receive these items by the
week. As soon as we get them in, we will send them straight out to you by the begening [sic] of the week.

With Regards

Charlotte Brown

Still no sign of the fookers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom