optimal mainhand/offhand speed

Meradesh

Fledgling Freddie
Looks like everybody agree at slower mainhand 4.3/4.1 and 3.5/3.3 offhand as the way to go, but can anyone explain me why? I'm curious, thx =).

jayjay67

Fledgling Freddie
Mainhand hits more than offhand so preferable to have a slow hard hitting weapon.

Offhand doesnt do a lot of dmg in comparison so needs to swing more often to get as much dmg as possible, because more swings = more chances of landing a hit.

Celestino

Fledgling Freddie
dw haste effect...

styles are calculated with the mainhand swingspeed while the actual swingspeed is the average speed of both weapons when both weapons fire.

So lets say you have a 4.1 / 3.5 setup and forget about other haste bonuses
When you hit with one weapon u will have a 4.1 delay
Now when you dual hit ur next swing will happen 3.8 sec later while any style you perform will still be based on the 4.1 weapon in your mainhand allowing you increased style dps

If you want to read about DW/LA, i'd recommend:
http://daoc.nisrv.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=16

Meradesh

Fledgling Freddie
jayjay67 said:
preferable to have a slow hard hitting weapon.

Agree

Celestino said:
So lets say you have a 4.1 / 3.5 setup and forget about other haste bonuses
When you hit with one weapon u will have a 4.1 delay
Now when you dual hit ur next swing will happen 3.8 sec later while any style you perform will still be based on the 4.1 weapon in your mainhand allowing you increased style dps

Agree, but can't understand why ppl stops at 3'5 or 3'3 offhand speed instead of 4'1/2'5 to get an higher haste effect.

thx for replies but I'm still curious about it!

Reza

One of Freddy's beloved
Mainhand: As slow as u can get (with decent stats/bonuses still of course)

Offhand: As fast as you can get while still remaining at or above the cap swing speed (1.5sec)

With 250 quickness, 10% toa haste, and a 20% druid haste you will cap swing speed with a ~3.35 speed weapon.

Celestino

Fledgling Freddie
coz ppl need to build a template, maxing out stats / toa bonuses is more important than a few dps from a per chance haste increase another factor is the availability of good fast / slow weaps

Meradesh

Fledgling Freddie
Celestino said:
coz ppl need to build a template, maxing out stats / toa bonuses is more important than a few dps from a per chance haste increase another factor is the availability of good fast / slow weaps

That's a point, I can understand it. Procs & toa bonuses can be better than haste effect, specially if you aren't 50 CD specced.

Celestino said:
Offhand: As fast as you can get while still remaining at or above the cap swing speed (1.5sec)

Do you mean mainhand+offhand/2 above cap speed or just offhand?

Celestino said:
With 250 quickness, 10% toa haste, and a 20% druid haste you will cap swing speed with a ~3.35 speed weapon.

true, but you can hit cap speed with 245 quickness, 10% toa haste, and a 20% druid haste and both 4'1 main and 2'5 offhand speed weapons.
Unstyled damage cap is not modified by quickness or haste, so why stop at 3'35 offhand speed?

Celestino

Fledgling Freddie
edit ur quotes !

I think reza refers to the offhand swingspeed which is only used in calculations and not in actual swings, so i don't believe the swingcap applies...

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
Meradesh said:
That's a point, I can understand it. Procs & toa bonuses can be better than haste effect, specially if you aren't 50 CD specced.

Do you mean mainhand+offhand/2 above cap speed or just offhand?

true, but you can hit cap speed with 245 quickness, 10% toa haste, and a 20% druid haste and both 4'1 main and 2'5 offhand speed weapons.
Unstyled damage cap is not modified by quickness or haste, so why stop at 3'35 offhand speed?
Cause if you bungle up your styles or are ooe and you happen to not double swing on an unstyled round you have an equal chance that either your mainhand or your offhand will swing. If you're unfortunate enough that your offhand swings, you don't want to loose any dps by using a weapon that's too fast.

Danita

Punishment

Resident Freddy
I have 4.1/3.5 spd setup Malice axe/Croc dagger setup on my furb bm+elf ns , and i find swingspeed optimal and procs totally overpowered , with my nightshade using str/con debuff mainhand stacked with malice proc and dex/qui debuff from croc i am basically debuffing totally or pretty near anything i fight .

Imo for any duel weilder Malice+croc = win if u are spec that can use both weps i.e Blades/Blunt , i dont know much on the technical side as i dont have the time to look these things up in detail but afaik mainhand speed affects the damage cap u can do in a swing and offhand speed determines how fast u swing with cd styles if u add speeds together and divide by 2 so 3.8 u will get say :O

Alexandrinus

Fledgling Freddie
there is still to consider that if you play in a group on a tank train,you most the times do 2 swings on the target then it goes down.Then you start with new swings from the start, so in a group the malice battler combo (2 times slow speed) makes real sence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom