OpenSource Browser

X

xane

Poke recommendations my way for an open source browser, specifically for FreeBSD and KDE. I am just about getting fed up with the in-built Konqueror browser, it is far too slow and grinds to a halt when more than 2 windows are open.

I downloaded Opera, a very quick browser but with what looks like an advert space at the top, but I do like the "tab" facility to combine several pages on one window, it seems to be working out okay (using it now), and credit to its claims, it _is_ fast.

I also downloaded Mozilla, bloody thing took over 2 hours to build on my silly little Celeron 433Mhz, but haven't given that a serious run yet but it looks a bit unweildy, a la IE6.

Any others I can try ?

Ian

S

Shocko

Use Mozilla, but don't build it yourself. It takes bloody ages, and for some reason, my builds have always ended up a bit unstable. Get the prebuilt binaries. No-one bothers building Mozilla themselves, really :)

Mozilla has tabbed browsing, and is "teh win" if you get used to it :D

T

Testin da Cable

mozilla is indeed a bit of a pain to build yourself :)
mmm, there are some really fast OS browsers out there, but you'll have to do away with things like java, flash, shockwave and the other bastages that seem so needed these days. look through the packages for fbsd or have a search on freshmeat.net. good luck

N

nick·

You might find it worth your while trying some of the more lightweight browsers based around the same rendering engine as Mozilla (Gecko), such as Galeon, Skipstone, or Phoenix.

Phoenix I like, but development has slowed recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom