Oops.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Smacked my car into a porsche last night and it was totally my fault :(

Anyone know how excess on your insurance works? I am not looking to claim for repairs on my car as i can knock it out myself no probs, but the guy is claiming for his damages off me. When i called my insurance last night (out of hours service) they told me i would have to pay an excess but the guy on the phone today says not? Anyone had this situation and know how it works?

Pfy

Fledgling Freddie
As far as I was aware, any claim against your policy (whether you claim against it or the other person) involves you having to pay excess unless the accident is 100% attributed to the other person.

I could be wrong and usually am but I have an out standing claim on my insurance (against someone else) and have been advised that unless they accept 100% liability (i.e it isn't at all my fault) Ill have to pay some excess. how much depends on % of blame.

Sydrik

Resident Freddy
Standard practise will be for your insurance company to front the total of the porsche drivers claim minus the excess specified on your policy. Most insurance companies offer a % discount on their car insurance based on the amount of voluntary excess you specify. This normally ranges from as little as 50quid up to 250 as a high amount. If you have admitted 100% liability the 3rd party, in this case the porsche driver, will claim full costs from your insurer.

If at renewal you opted against taking the excess then your insurer will cover the full amount under your liability insurance. Basically have a look at your policy as its not unusual for an excess to be applied to claims as part of the package. All policies are different so it really does vary mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom