Games Online games: are they worth it?

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
And you couldz pwn more then doris in thid!! :lol:

Oh aye, every time I logged onto my gimped SB I pretended I was him! Running around killing level 24s in DF and being whined on VN at for being a uber player (They were grey cons :( They nearly killed me each time) I mean, how can I, a ex-L50 SB live up to the L24 eliteness?!

noblok

Part of the furniture
Did I lose out on anything because of DAoC? No, I did not. I could have done more for school, but realistically speaking it wasn't DAoC which kept me from doing that: school was just boring. Proof? At university this year I finished my bachelor in philosophy in the top 10%, the first two (out of three) years I still played DAoC during exam periods out of boredom, the last year I didn't because I no longer enjoyed DAoC.

Apart from that DAoC has also been a positive influence in my life, mostly it made me more social. This year I was the student responsible for education in the philosophy faculty, next year I'll be vice-president of the student group (or whatever it's called in Enlgish). There is no way I'd have done this if it wasn't for DAoC. I used to be a really shy and quiet guy, but communication in DAoC went a lot easier. The fact that I seemed to be able to make friends pretty easily in DAoC also gave me more confidence in real life. Now I'm still a bit quiet in face-to-face communication, but I'm pretty good at speaking to groups (so I've been told). The fact that I was an event-officer in my DAoC-guild probably has something to do with this.

DAoC is also intensly confused with my childhood (15-18 mostly). Many memories from my childhood are in fact related to DAoC. You may call this pathetic, but I truly had a great time in that game and met many wonderful people I'd otherwise never have known. I don't feel like I've lost out on anything. On the contrary: I've had fantastic moments in DAoC which I believe are at an equal level with so called 'real life' moments. One must not forget that although the environment is digital, it's still real people communicating an participating together in an activity.

Naetha said:
good things happen when you stop playing
For me that statement would have to be inverted: I played less when good things started happening in real life. DAoC has never been an obstacle for good things to happen to me, like I've said before: it's done many good things for me.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
DAOC is just like sado-masochistic sex: you have to know when to pull the plug.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Daoc was a waste of time for me, all I seemed to do was play Thid all the time and get owned by Dorimor :(

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Online games can be useful. They can teach you to do this:

flexible_fatty.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom