Online DVD Rental

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Does anyone have experience with online rental? I've been looking at the Tesco DVD rental recently, and it's very possible that i'm going to take the plunge and pay the £11.99 monthly fee (Apparently you can rent out as many DVDs as you want in the month, the only restriction seems to be on that tariff you can only have 2 at any given time, who needs more than that really :/).

It looks like a good deal, Just shy of £12 a month and a stack (read: bloody loads) of movies available, including a bunch of foreign films i've had difficulty in locating previously. No postage costs for sending the discs back. My only real concern is if they get lost in the post :(.

What other online DVD rental sites are there, are they reliable and what is the library of movies like?

Mostly thinking of joining Tescos scheme since they're a brand I know and have some inkling of trust towards.

Edit, url :)

http://www.tescodvdrental.com/

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
hum i'd like to know about that too
you have a url available for that by any chance?

i've seen loads of adverts around but never actually looked into them

FuzzyLogic

Turns out they have a 14 day trial going too, so giving a chance on that. Spiffy.

Cyfr

Banned
Hmm interesting, However i'd only end up sending them back late :p
I used to live next door to blockbuster and I took dvds back 3days late :p

FuzzyLogic

Kif, there is no 'late' on these dvds since you're paying monthly and if you keep the same dvd for months on end, they couldn't care less...It's just one less dvd they have to bother sending you at the cost of a first class parcel :p

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Well, I have 70 odd films on my list now, I'll let you know how I find it.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
Gumbo said:
Well, I have 70 odd films on my list now, I'll let you know how I find it.

please give comments !

tell us how you found it pls

same for anyone who has already tried it as i'm also considering taking up membership =)

Gumbo

FH is my second home
gunner440 said:
please give comments !

tell us how you found it pls

same for anyone who has already tried it as i'm also considering taking up membership =)

I found the sign up process completely plainless and the interface fine (I went for the tesco one btw). The selection also seems to be very wide. I shall return to tell you about the service, once I have experienced it.

milou

Part of the furniture
http://www.dvds365.com/

I use these - I've been with them since October 2003 and there's been no problems whatsoever. For £14.99 pm, I can rent three films at a time - all postage is pre-paid 1st class and there is a fast turnaround. I have 19 films in my rental queue at present - they aim to let you have the top ones first and generally they do.. I had a free one month's trial with an Empire mag deal and after I joined I also received a £20 Amazon e-voucher (although that was not an incentive).

Worth a punt.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Update :

Received my first 3 dvd's today. You just get the discs in funky little disc size cases, and the mailing out envelope becomes the return envelope with a clever refolding type deal.

Quite impressed so far :)

FuzzyLogic

Only received two miself, the other must have been lost in the mail, or delayed, bah :(

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
I do not recommend DVDs On Tap. The company was recently bought over and did not send me any DVDs for 3 weeks. They ignored umpteen emails so I promptly halted my membership

I now use Screen Select who I have found to be extremely reliable. My only complaint would be that some DVDs they send out are badly scratched, meaning that they skip to the end of a chapter.

Other than that I would recommend them.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Interestingly I watched my first DVD last night, (Dog Soldiers, there's nearly two hours of my life that could have been better spent staring at the washing machine on spin), and popped it in the post box on my way to work.

I returned home tonight to find Once upon a Time in Mexico waiting on my doormat. Now I know they said a quick turnaround, but that's just goddam fantastic!

And also obviously a mistake, but there you go :)

FuzzyLogic

So far I'm happy with it, only one problem though, the priority system is a load of wank, I can't describe it any other way. Put movies on asap, surely one of them will be sent, nope, just pick a random one from the normal list.

Reckon i'm going to have to put every damn movie i don't feel like watching yet on the whenever list, maybe then i'll get something from the asap list oO.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
I'm tempted by screen select as its the only one Ive seen that offer console games as well.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I've used screenselect since they started and have so far rented at least 150-200 DVDs. I've had some games on my list for a while now and have so far only recieved one PSP Game (Exit). I'm assuming that they have less stock of games and when people get them they tend to hold on to them for a lot longer than they would a film. Shame really as I have some 360 titles on there that I wouldn't mind them sending me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom