Question One night in France?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
OK - so staying at Courchevel to do a bit of MTBing and generally eating of the plat du jour of whatever restaurant takes my fancy :D

Been before - on the say-so of a snowboarder mate. Was definitely worth it despite not being a primary MTB summer destination because no other fucker was there. Which was great :)

But will be leaving on Sunday and don't need to be back in blighty until Monday evening. Ferry from Calais at 18:00hrs.

So. One day stopoff. Done Bruges on this trip before. Where do I go, just for a day, that isn't Paris, on the way back.

Bear in mind that I have to be at ferry at 5, so I don't really want to be driving lots of hours to get there on the Monday, but I also want a decent amount of time to get from here.... to here....

You guys are men (and ladies) of the world. Where should I go? :)

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Going to France, but not skiing?

Cannot compute

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I'd say Lyon, because its the best place in France to eat and the historic bit is lovely (my ex did her year out from Uni in Lyon so we used to visit a lot), but you won't have broken the back of the drive north. Dijon is nice but still a long way (great if you like wine). Problem is the whole run from Dijon up to the coast is a bit dull. Reims is pretty enough but not somehwere you'd go normally (Champagne tours and a defunct F1 track). Loads of WW1 and WW2 stuff in that part of the world if that's your bag.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Those national parks near you have the most incredible gorges and rivers.
Thats the area we offroad in and its the most amazing scenery I never knew France had.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I know you're France oriented atm but as you mentioned Bruges, if you power through you might consider Ghent. Ghents great, like a less touristy, less cutesy Bruges, but more real and way better food. Bit northward though, considering you have to get back to Calais.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
@DaGaffer - Lyon's interesting but still 6.5 hours from Calais - which is a bit of a pain as it'd mean a long drive home afterwards. Still, maybe :)

@TdC - The missus is going to Ghent in October and was actually my first choice until I remembered that, but it's a probably bit cruel to ruin her October trip. But then, I might never go as she'd already have been...

Any other ideas anyone? :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Interesting idea @dysfunction - maybe another time tho as I doubt either of us will be up for cycling after smashing down mountains for a week! A night in a city getting pissed and eating good food is the preferred option methinks :)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Interesting idea @dysfunction - maybe another time tho as I doubt either of us will be up for cycling after smashing down mountains for a week! A night in a city getting pissed and eating good food is the preferred option methinks :)

The only other option I could think of then is Lille...
The Top 10 Things to Do in Lille 2017 - TripAdvisor

It's only an hour away from Calais and is an interesting city and pretty good food and drinking.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The only other option I could think of then is Lille...
The Top 10 Things to Do in Lille 2017 - TripAdvisor

It's only an hour away from Calais and is an interesting city and pretty good food and drinking.

Centre of Lille is actually OK. I was stuck there for a few hours for a train change a few years back and I was expecting a hellhole, but it wasn't bad; seem to remember I had a really nice lunch.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I know you're France oriented atm but as you mentioned Bruges, if you power through you might consider Ghent. Ghents great, like a less touristy, less cutesy Bruges, but more real and way better food. Bit northward though, considering you have to get back to Calais.
This @Scouse ... have awesome memories from Ghent

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No fucker here. Literally the only two stopping where we're stopping. Food smells amazeballs and the biking was f00king amazing!

DSC_0413.JPG DSC_0412.JPG
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom