On the geography of RvR zones.

Haldar

Fledgling Freddie
yesterday i was drinking with a comrade of mine, who is a celtologist. he's teaching students in university, he spent a great deal of time in Ireland...so i asked him some questions. and i learned that....

* there are no gorges at Cruachan. it is just a big hill - or some hilly land, unsure of it...was noisy there and we were kinda drunk.
* "Breifine" translated into English means "village". there's a land called by this name in central Ireland.
* there are NO Mt. Collory. he named me 7 various mountains and big hills of Ireland - none of them sounded close to "Collory"
* cant say much about Emain Macha, except that this region really exists. (He went to Eamhain Macha // And threatened to destroy the town // The naked women were brought forth // He then began to calm down.....author of this poetry is unknown, spelling may be wrong too...)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Emain Macha now known as Navan Fort, is situated in the North of Ireland a few miles west of Armagh. It is the Prehistoric capital of Ulster. Where the legendary King Conchobar and the warriors of the Red Branch of Ulster had their base. It is more likely to have been a ritual site rather than a defensive site. It now appears as a large mound inside a circular hilltop enclosure. It links up to other sites in the area which includes Lough na Shade nearby where a remarkable bronze trumpet was found in the 18th century.

^ taken from an irish folk lore site

out of interest, conchobar's glen is near scath keep

there is actually loads of stuff about mythology on the net, a lot of the old zone hib pve areas and epic quests zones/npcs are named after old Irish history/folklore.

Ardamel

Fledgling Freddie
Well when you run from Rensamark in Yggdra towards Grallarhorn shrine, you pass an area called Kukmark. I wonder if they got that name from some Sweding dude trying to be funny, in either case Mythic really should've done the research :) Kukmark = land of dicks ;)

Coccas

Loyal Freddie
Kukmark pwns :p
I think mythic had a contest when NF was in beta on us servers so the winners would get a region/area named after the winning characters so maybe someone named kuk was one of the winners :)

Asty

Fledgling Freddie
There used to be General Albanus in odins gate too, pwned.

dimerian

Fledgling Freddie
I always smile irl when we run through that albzone Lower Noobi Lands or summit :)

Also dont ponder too much bout daoc zones realism lol - how many trolls or firbolgs ya saw in that pub :D?

Ilienwyn

Fledgling Freddie
There is a merchant (poison merchant I think?) in of the havens in TOA named Mouna. Ask a greek what that means :D

Bonegoat

Fledgling Freddie
dimerian said:
I always smile irl when we run through that albzone Lower Noobi Lands or summit :)

Also dont ponder too much bout daoc zones realism lol - how many trolls or firbolgs ya saw in that pub :D?
Think i saw 7 firbys last time i was at the pub :/

nOmoreCOAL

Fledgling Freddie
Ilienwyn said:
There is a merchant (poison merchant I think?) in of the havens in TOA named Mouna. Ask a greek what that means :D

U forgot about sphinx Aidoios (~ Mouna ).
I begin 2 c a pattern or maybe they ran out of names.
At least sphinx is female. It would b funny if mouna is male. ;)

Filip

Fledgling Freddie
there is a butt ugly troll merchant (or was in OF) named Filip in svasud.... kind of insulting becuase my RL name is Filip

aceig

Fledgling Freddie
haha kukmark i had forgotten that one :)

i also like the npc "Bagarn" in mid oceanus haven. i small and ugly kobi :s

Gasoline

Fledgling Freddie
It's been a LONG while since I passed through the smal town of Audliten, in East Svealand, not too far from Jordheim...
Unless I'm much mistaken, there's a troll there who's name translates into "bra"... (I'm English, and have no knowledge of ANY of the Scandinavian dialects, so don't ask me what language it goes in to...) :)

edit: a friend told me this

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Many midgard housing "towns" are real places in Norway :p

Zeratuhl

Fledgling Freddie
Asty said:
There used to be General Albanus in odins gate too, pwned.

asty, actually when u say that! i live on ahvenanmaa in finland and theres a big old sailing boat here thats called Albanus :D thx for enlightening me xD i think ill go kick it or something :flame:

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Ramon > all

Used to be at the entrance of gorge in OF, wheres him now? :eek:

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Raven said:
Emain Macha now known as Navan Fort, is situated in the North of Ireland a few miles west of Armagh. It is the Prehistoric capital of Ulster. Where the legendary King Conchobar and the warriors of the Red Branch of Ulster had their base. QUOTE]

Workmate was looking over my shoulder and wants to know whether they were proddies or cadillacs?

yeah I know :twak:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Hawkwind said:
Raven said:
Emain Macha now known as Navan Fort, is situated in the North of Ireland a few miles west of Armagh. It is the Prehistoric capital of Ulster. Where the legendary King Conchobar and the warriors of the Red Branch of Ulster had their base. QUOTE]

Workmate was looking over my shoulder and wants to know whether they were proddies or cadillacs?

yeah I know :twak:

they were niether, they were "pagans"

Zrall

Loyal Freddie
Vasconcelos said:
Ramon > all

Used to be at the entrance of gorge in OF, wheres him now? :eek:

his still somewhere in the zone cant remember excately... had him on my ass the other day :D

Arnor

Fledgling Freddie
Ardamel said:

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAhAHAHAHAHAHHAhahahahahahæhæhæhææhihihhiihihohohohohohohohooohhehehehehehhhehhhhehehehehe

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Arnor

Fledgling Freddie
Filip said:
there is a butt ugly troll merchant (or was in OF) named Filip in svasud.... kind of insulting becuase my RL name is Filip

yes, hes getting therapy for being named such a lame name :p

Ardamel

Fledgling Freddie
The are several rvr zones and zones in midgard classic that are named after Swedish "landskap-names" (like counties). Like Uppland and Jamtland, and Region names like Svealand (and Gotar surely inspired by Götaland). The housing zones are also full of Swedish (and also alot of Norwegian) city names like Umea (Umeå), Lulea (Luleå), Kalmar, Kiruna, Malmo (Malmö).

Lots of NPC names in SI midgard zones are Finnish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom