Old ones are the best

X

xane

As mentioned in another thread, the last novel I read was Great Expectations by Charles Dickens***, and surprizingly as this is out of my normal genre preference, I would wholeheartedly recommend it.

Best part is it can be gotten free, in eBook form, so if you have a PDA you can start using that really worthwhile piece of bookreader software :)

Alternatively you can use a Windows version of an eBook reader and print it out, but this will probably cost more to do on an inkjet than purchase it (for around £2-4).

If anyone else has read a "classic", and actually found it good, give your recommendations.

*** Charles Dickens, not Charles Dikkens the famous dutch author, or Farles Wickens with four Ms and a silent Q.

L

legendario

That's a pretty decent use of a PDA, but you do know that you will go blind reading novels from a screen that small?

D

doh_boy

I remember reading that for GCSE English, Dickens is a cool writer. He seems to be able to flesh his characters out amazingly without spending ages on it. Also read D.H Lawrence he's kinda cool. I've got Thomas hardy - The Woodlanders, its supposedly his favourite book. I'll tell you if its any good when(if) I finish.

X

xane

Another good English grade book I remember is To Kill A Mockingbird, also books by Gerald Durrell make light humoured reading.

W

Wij

Not old enough. I bought myself some 'Teach yourself classical Greek' books t'other day :)

D

djpringle

Graham Greene's The Third Man and The Quiet American are worth a read. Not too heavy going and guaranteed not to take up too much time either since they're both pretty short.

D

doh_boy

Originally posted by Wij
Not old enough. I bought myself some 'Teach yourself classical Greek' books t'other day :)

I made the mistake of buying The Canterbury Tales without opening it! A whole book written in the epic poem style! :(

M

Munkey-

To Kill a Mockingbird. Great book, did it as pre-GCSE thing.

A brilliant author, imho, would be H.G. Wells. Inparticular War of the Worlds, a great holocaust story.

Dickens never really did it for me, i found his books a bit too.....monotonous. Great expectations is great though.

As is Pride and Prejudice. Witty, fun, involving and a nice looooong read.

W

wolfeeh

Urggh

mockingbird is fucking shit...

tho not as bad as "of mice and men"...

i swear my english teacher picked us the crappest books she could..

my pre-gcse teacher had some good choices tho...

diary of anne frank, dahl's "Boy" and the silver sword among others.

as far as classics go though the next i plan to read is some russian dude's "crime and punishment" which looks good ...

P

PR.

Well if we are talking PDA ebooks 'xane' I'm not sure which PDA you have so I guess it is MS Reader you can also get the free reader from Here this will give you access to many more books as its is supported by all PDAs (Palm/PPC/CE).

As for free ebooks, Sherlock Holmes are mostly free

http://www.mslit.com/

Contains lots of free ebooks and ones you can pay for.

D

dysfunction

Anything by Jules Verne

and also Orson Wells - War of the Worlds

Users who are viewing this thread