Ok...I bwoke it...please help

• Thread starter old.almighty_monkey
  • Start date
O

old.almighty_monkey

Right. Here's the problem. Yesterday I upgraded my worn out old Voodoo3 card to a Hercules 3D prophet 4500. Everything so far has gone smoothly enough, and almost every game runs fine except for RTCW. For some reason, whenever it loads a map, it gets right towards the end of loading and then just...stops. If I hit escape I can go back to the menu and start again, but no matter what I do I can't get it working. I've fiddled with just about every option in the game, changing resolutions and such to no effect. I've upgraded drivers off the hercules site to no avail. I tried upgrading my openGL drivers, but GLsetup told me I had the newest ones already.

Am I missing something? Any help will be much appreciated.

C

Chameleon

Pull down the console when it does it (left of '1', above 'tab') and type

/cl_allowdownload 1
/reconnect

look for an error message of some sort in the console, I doubt it's gfx card related.

Ch@m

O

old.almighty_monkey

Nope, didn't work. :( But thanks for the suggestion.

I'm pretty sure its something to do with my graphics card though seeing that it worked fine before I upgraded from my voodoo3

O

old.dh.vash

Try installing the patch, it sometimes happens to me (I'm on GF3, so its nothing to do with your GFX) I usually just bring console down and type reconnect and it works.

but yeh, try the patch.

-V

C

Chameleon

Don't spose you have a firewall running do you? You may find connecting can be a bit hit and miss sometimes due to the authorisation server. Some people, including myself in the past, experience strange hangs and connecting problems even just having a network card installed in their pc. I think it's probably to do with the network protocols that windows installs.
I know it sounds weird cos it worked before, but you know what pc are like ....... they do weird things for strange reasons sometimes :)

O

old.almighty_monkey

Its not just online its doing it, I can't play single player either. Its weird cause up until I try to run a game everything seems to be working fine.

I'll try the patch anyway. Thanks for the advice. :)

O

old.Franbo

Likely to be irrelevant since you didn't get the problem before but you never know...

I have a GF2 64MB and had the same problem you are describing fairly often. I then upgraded my RAM and I no longer have the problem (from 256MB to 512MB).

As I said... probably not related or useful... but who knows (I wouldn't have thought they are connected, but then again, I'm not a tech whiz).

O

old.almighty_monkey

I've discovered that if I turn all the settings right down it loads as close to reasonably as can be expected with 128mb ram. I'm gonna gradually increase stuff until I find out whats the problem.

Cheers for your help guys.

C

Chameleon

If you hav 128mb of ram, try ....

seta com_hunkmegs "64"
seta com_soundmegs "16"
seta com_zonemegs "24"

B

bigbb

128 isn't really enough these days.

ebuyer.com were selling 128mb as cheap as chips tother day for 9squid not long ago. However recent economic downturn has lead to a subsequent rise to 15 squids, I think.

O

old.almighty_monkey

Ah, found the problem, it was the 32bit textures I had turned on.

I'm sure I tried turning them off before, but....ah well. *Shrugs*

Again, mundo thanks for your help guys.

Users who are viewing this thread