Oi need linux help :((

D

Deadmanwalking

Right let me start from the... start :p

I am a complete and utter linux noob. But due to a comp project i have to have it =/

Anyway... i have got redhat 8 Cds all 5 of em etc etc etc.

I set it to boot from CD and it does fine get to the select language/keyboard prompt and then when it asks where me linux files are i say Local CD and it then says no Linux CD detected? But i just booted the installation from it?

Any ideas?

The cd drive is a Hitachi DVD-ROM GD-2500 if that helps?

Anyway any help very much appreciated.

S

Shocko

You are booting from the first cd, aren't you? :)

D

Deadmanwalking

=/ course i am or i wouldnt get language selection =/

F

FatBusinessman

Are all the CDs from the same version of the distribution? I tried installing SuSE 8.1 with an 8.0 boot disk and it complained then...

D

Deadmanwalking

erm i cant even get past the first CD =/

but yes they are

W

Will

Chatted to DMW on IRC...its a weird fault.

B

bids

Have you tried booting from a Linux boot Floppy instead ?

Also, have you an old IDE CD drive you can try instead of the DVD - sounds like it isn't mounting the DVD drive correctly during bootup ?

W

Will

Nah, its gets past that stage, into setup, then loses the CD and asks for it again. Doesn't make much sense.

D

Deadmanwalking

yes because i can use a fualty CD drive for 3 years and install windows on it NP yeah course :rolleyes:

D

danger

Have you checksum'd ya disks.... made sure they not corrupted at all?

T

Testin da Cable

can you switch to a console and remount the cd? methinks it's summat to do with the dvd drive but I'm not current in linux, and especially not redhat atm.

L

lecter

PXE booting from teh network is the way forward :)

D

Deadmanwalking

Well its sorted now.... but!!

MY network card wont work :((

Linksys LNE100TX has linux drivers but linux is having none of it :(

I can ping my computer downstairs on my lan but not my router or any internet site.

:(

T

Testin da Cable

hmm sounds like your network settings are wrong if you can ping some, but not all. check your subnet, networks and gateway values.

D

Deadmanwalking

They are deffo right it has to be a driver problem..

I cant even ping my gateway which is what i connect to the comp i can ping by =/

So somethings not right

Its a linksys card so uses a tulip driver but the intructions on the redme dont work or from the site :(

HELP!

T

Testin da Cable

k. what exactly are you doing, what is the output from dmesg, are there any visible errors. driver...what driver? are you compiling it in or loading a module? more info pls!

W

Will

Its Redhat...should it not have happened auto-magically?

T

Testin da Cable

well yeah, but iirc it would then be a module and it's possible that special options have to be passed in with the loading...

W

Will

It sounds daft, but if you are building a linux system, pick your network card well. Realtek 8139 has always been good to me.

D

Deadmanwalking

I got me network card before turning the box into linux occured to me. Its a Linksys LNe100TX it has linux drivers on the installation disk and it says redhat should just pic it up but it didnt :(

Im fuckd if i have any idea about loading modules etc etc

BTW the driver is a tulip driver

T

Testin da Cable

some thoughts:

-go into your BIOS and set it to "non-PnP os"
-check when booting that your PCI device listing displays the card correctly. the product id should be something like 11AD c115 for LNE100TX models.
-type lsmod in a console as root...there should be something in the output like tulip.o and pci-netif.o

there is a mailinglist thread about it here. the guy in question got it working. perhps it helps.

D

Deadmanwalking

Ok well new system so new problems :( i am using the inbuilt Realtek LAN atm in windows and no probs whatsoever.

But once again linux is being a fucking bitch.
Dosent pick it up and as its inbuilt dosent have driver disks?

Help!

Windows picked it up np

S

Shocko

What exactly is the nic model? There are drivers for realtek cards in the kernel...
There's a driver for all cards using the RealTek RTN-8139, if that's you.

T

Testin da Cable

would be handy if you told us what you've tried too matey

D

Deadmanwalking

Realtek 8201BL onboard not any of the ones in the default list.
Its on a Shuttle FN41 nforce 2 motherboard.

Havent tried anything as i can see any way to make it work ... last time i had drivers to actually work with.

Any help appreciated

D

Deadmanwalking

/me kickshimself i was looking on the Realtek site for .. GAH!

Thx will ill try it out and tell u all what happens :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom