Official Shrouded Isles website has opened!

D

danskmacabre

Well, if DAOC has the same lifespan as Everquest, then we can look forward to lots of expansion packs I guess.

G

Gef

"Dark Age of Camelot: Shrouded Isles is scheduled for release in late Fall 2002"

Just hope GOA dont lag behind too much!

G

galdora

Hopefully a future expansion will raise the level limit. This may not be a popular view tho :eek:

G

Gef

Mythic have already stated that they will NEVER raise the level limit, and they will NEVER add more character slots. Because the whole game was originally designed that way and it would be too hard to change.

D

danskmacabre

I don't see why adding more character slots would effect the game.

G

Gef

My guess is that the character databases were designed with the standard '4 characters per accout' in mind. Changing data structures at this point would be difficult if not impossible, its all on the Herald site.

A

Alrindel

Apparently the entire character-and-item database is based around the idea that you belong to one realm and you have 4 characters on an account. To change that structure would involve restructuring all the databases and rewriting a fair chunk of backend code, and they are not willing to do it.

The only concession they could make was to set the test and PvP servers so that you could have characters in all 3 realms for a maximum of 12, but on a regular server that's not possible for gameplay reasons.

D

danskmacabre

I have been programming on IBM AS/400's (RPG 2, RPG 3, RPG/400, Visual RPG etc etc etc) and PC's (Visual basic and various other PC based programming languages etc) since 1989.
I have developed and supported many many different types of systems from banking systems to manufacturing systems, considerably more complex that DAOC.
IMO, if what is said here is true, that the way the DAOC character system is written, that it cannnot be changed without a major overhaul.
Then it seems to me then the character management system must have been very poorly designed.
Surely the DAOC dev team ought to have taken into consideration that this game would evolve a lot and as such would need to be flexible.

G

Gef

Why would they want to make more character slots. Four has been enough for every other MMPOG in existence. If you want more slots you pay for another account, simple as that. Its not in their interest to give you more for nothing.

D

danskmacabre

Because, many ppl have probably filled up all the 4 slots with characters so far.
Now there's an expansion pack coming out, if they want to use the new characters in their selected realm they'll have to either:

A: Buy a new account.....Uh yeah right, if you're a sad git that is.

B: Delete an old character....What if they really like ALL the 4 characters allowable? Not a hard situation considering you can only have 4 chars.

And saying that since other MMORPG's only have 4 chars max, so therefore it's OK for DAOC to do it as well..
Well, if Mythic had been using that logic, why not just make an Everquest clone and be done with it?
It's just bad logic to say it's OK to do something in a certain way because everyone else is.

And I seriously doubt many ppl are going to be will to pay for another subscription except for ppl who are real DAOC hardocre fans and have money to waste..

G

Gef

All depends on how badly you want to play the new race, I have no problem at all deleting an old character. You can get to level 30 in no time at all so long you know where to hunt.

I doubt all your alts are 30+..

G

galdora

Originally posted by danskmacabre
And I seriously doubt many ppl are going to be will to pay for another subscription except for ppl who are real DAOC hardocre fans and have money to waste..

eek. About to become a sad git with more money to waste then. I consider 12ukp per month a bargain for the amount of pleasure I get out of the game. I want more Middy alts and I want them now!:D Don't want to delete current alts, incase I don't like the new ones better.

No, I won't be using buffbots or creating characters on different realms on the same server. Just want to try more classes, especially when the expansion gets here.

My earlier post referred to an increased level limit. That would be nice to rekindle the interest some have lost in their level 50s. It would need more content, areas, items, quests, etc. So would be quite a lot of work, apart from any architecture problems with how the current level limit is implemented. Would be a great basis for another expansion tho.

Guess we won't get a space travel expansion in this game tho :eek:

D

danskmacabre

For example, I have the following chars

My main: A Cleric, I use this solo or to join and random group I choose to.

Alt 1: An Armsman, I use it to play with a friend from the UK, we only use this one with him, so our chars stay roughy the same lvl

Alt 2: A wizzie, I use this with a group of friends from the uk, again, I only use it with them, so it stys roughly the same level with them.

Alt 3: Minstrel, My alt Solo/ramdom group character, for when I want a change from playing my Cleric and my friends are not online.

So, for me, I have to delete one of my chars to use th new characters.
Now in MY case, I don't really mind, as I don't think the new alb char looks that great to have anyway.
But for other ppl, it may be a problem.

D

danskmacabre

Originally posted by Gef
All depends on how badly you want to play the new race,

True.

I have no problem at all deleting an old character.

I personally use all my alts relatively frequently as I described earlier.

You can get to level 30 in no time at all so long you know where to hunt.
I'm sure you can, but I odon't get a lot of time to play DAOC, so it takes me a considerable amount of time to lvl a char.

I doubt all your alts are 30+..

No, they're not, but so what, I still like them and don't wanna lose them.

T

taromas

"release in late Fall 2002"

Hmmm...... translation into French and German + printing the CD's and manuals......

...... my bet is spring 2003 :)

S

SFXman

I REALLY hope that we would get more slots I mean FOUR per server. I already have 3 characters that I refuse to delete (not counting the fourth which is my gimpadin 2h crush paladin called Cannabis... name is so cool I don't want to lose him) and I will definately want to make at least two new race characters in Albion on prydwen.

EDIT: Phew... "Our plan is to support all GeForce 2-4 cards (including MXs)", so no more only GF3/4 talk.

D

Danya

Because, many ppl have probably filled up all the 4 slots with characters so far.
Now there's an expansion pack coming out, if they want to use the new characters in their selected realm they'll have to either:

B: Delete an old character....What if they really like ALL the 4 characters allowable? Not a hard situation considering you can only have 4 chars.
C: Play on another server to test the character, if you like it, delete one of your others.

O

old.Velo

Daoc was released in november in the us and mars(?) here...
So shrouded isles will be released in november(?) in the us and mars here(?)...

O

old.job

From the website:
Faster frame rate.

Ooh, does that mean It'll runf aster on my video card?

or as I expect, run at 2fps on my 16mb card:)

should be in brackets after that (if you shell out 200 quid on a video card)

V

Valdamar

Ummm no

Why would they want to make more character slots. Four has been enough for every other MMPOG in existence.

Everquest - 8 characters per server
Asherons Call - 5 characters per server (as I recall - been a while)

Research is good; generalisations are bad ;)

V

Valdamar

And I wouldn't want more levels either - I still think adding 10 levels in EQ (Kunark expansion) is what started to kill the game and made it the poorly balanced uber-fest it is today. More content and more variety (in things to do) is preferable to more levelling pressure. But more levels make good business sense - they keep people busy.

As for slots, I'm waiting for a big mmorpg to start offering more slots for an increase in monthly cost (eg 1 extra slot on every server for a 25% subs increase, 50% for 2 slots etc.). Now that would be a good business move :)

S

SFXman

I think that they should just make it possible to have more characters, it can't be that hard to implement. Ffs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom