Office Calendar

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
As title,

I have been asked at work to look for an electronic calendar, that everyone can use.

first thought was to drop a post in here and see if anyone has any information on any of the available ones on the market.

thanks in advance.

Stephen

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Calaen

I believe Mozilla Calendar may be of use, although it is still in the early stages of development. Basically Mozilla Calendar introduces calendar functionality into existing Mozilla products, whereas Mozilla Sunbird uses the same kind of principles but is a standalone program. Whilst I don't use it, I believe Sunbird does support multiple users. That said, it is still early in its development but uses the open iCal standard, which is a plus.

Alternatively I'm sure Microsoft offer some form of calendar sharing, most probably through an Exchange server. Again, I'm not too au fait on the specifics but I'm sure Google will help with that.

Finally, there may well be freeware or shareware programs available to download which will perform calendar tasks with multiple user support, including some online versions no doubt. If you plump for one of these, though, I'd personally try and get one which uses some form of widely recognised or open standard so that if you decide to switch later on, you stand at least some chance of being able to port your information from the old system to the new.

Sorry I can't be of more help

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Although said through gritted teeth, I do have to say I use Office on a daily basis and it does indeed perform all the necessary functions of a shared calendar, with meetings and events, etc, and it is very smart.

But it is probably very expensive for a site licence too.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Cheers guys.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
Aye, I use outlook's scheduler - takes a few days to absorb all the options/workings - but it does the trick. Plus - I can sync it with my phone so I get reminders of what I'm doing/going all the time.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
I wouldn't recommend Mozilla Calendar just yet. Whilst the data format (iCalendar) is extremely well established (also used for Apple's magnificent iCal app), the Sunbird application is not stable and will likely be altered a lot before it reaches 1.0. Also Mozilla's architecture doesn't seem very well oriented towards enterprise deployment yet.

MKJ

Fledgling Freddie
Not sure this is very relevant but I have installed a 'Race Calendar' on my running clubs website (new). Functions it can carry out is remarkable and the admin side is a breeze. I use it whilst logged into phpmyadmin (database) so that I can put links inside the posts. I am using the free version and I am not sure what exactly the paid version can do. I have incorporated the Calendar code into my site so that it is using my header. Obviously everything above Calendarix has been added by me. Take a look here:

Race Calendar

You can follow the link at the bottom to the Calendar makers homepage.

As to allowing everyone to post entries then you can hand out the login details you set. Not sure that is a good thing though.

My css site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom