Offensive Merc template

gimpchimp

Fledgling Freddie
I have an aggressive style of play and I'm getting bored sitting with a Necromancer mashing a couple of buttons ad infinitum just to reach level 50.

I want to get some PvP in, so I'm going to go with a Merc that is an all out aggressive fighter. I've got the following BG1 template in mind;

24 Dual Wield
18 Thrusting
14 Parry

Now, I reckon this is probably a fairly common spec for a lot of Mercs in Thidranki, so I'm just wondering what input I can get. I'm looking to mix things up a bit with some crafting too.

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
Now, I wouldn't listen to me if I knew me ;)
But your base dmg is determined by your weapon spec
Dual wield will simply increase your offhand swinging chance, better to up your thrusting and drop DW a little imo, better to hit harder relatively less often than swing your weapons often and miss more/do less damage

ohh and weapon procs are extra lovely for dual wielders :)

Esena

Fledgling Freddie
24 dw, 21 thrust, rest parry imo, you want to dmg, not slap em around...

Staffzor

Fledgling Freddie
gimpchimp said:
I have an aggressive style of play and I'm getting bored sitting with a Necromancer mashing a couple of buttons ad infinitum just to reach level 50.

I want to get some PvP in, so I'm going to go with a Merc that is an all out aggressive fighter. I've got the following BG1 template in mind;

24 Dual Wield
18 Thrusting
14 Parry

Now, I reckon this is probably a fairly common spec for a lot of Mercs in Thidranki, so I'm just wondering what input I can get. I'm looking to mix things up a bit with some crafting too.

Personally I would go 24/23 whatver left over in parry, then go slash/crush and a half ogre if you want raw damage output. Thrust is good, but you will have a fair bit less WS (not 100% sure how much and if it is that massive) having played a pierce and a blunt blademaster in hib the pure str one seemed a fair bit better

Strega

Fledgling Freddie
Try 19 crush, 19 dw, 19 parry with + 5 to all skills, your ws will be incredible high anyway due to HO strength. The 6 sec stun in the crush line will save you alot imo. Just a thought. You might even want to go 21 weapon 21 dw 15 parry(same spec as Embra: 21 axe 21 La 15 parry)

Up to you ofc

gimpchimp

Fledgling Freddie
Does having the correct weapon type against the correct armour type make that much difference in PvP?

I mean the only characters with plate are Paladins and Armsmen. Will taking Crush make a significant difference when fighting enemies in chain?

Cawr

Fledgling Freddie
gimpchimp said:
Does having the correct weapon type against the correct armour type make that much difference in PvP?

I mean the only characters with plate are Paladins and Armsmen. Will taking Crush make a significant difference when fighting enemies in chain?

It does make a difference, but not so much in Thidranki as resists vary wildly. As it goes crush is neutral to all chain wearers so you should still hit fairley hard.

The anytime stun in the crush line is the best wat to go as a merc, imo :)

I'd go 23/23/7 or like Embra said 21/21/15 - I think 19 parry isn't worth sacrificing the damage output for if your looking for a completely offensive char.

gimpchimp

Fledgling Freddie
Well, I've gone 24 DW/23 Crush and 4 Parry. As I understand it, Parry chances are halved anyway so it'd make little difference anyway.

Frustrated

Fledgling Freddie
I started my merc at lvl 1 used crush till 20 the respecced to slash and took 24DW 24Slash for thid i hurt like hell and never lost a single 1 on 1.

Strega

Fledgling Freddie
Frustrated said:
I started my merc at lvl 1 used crush till 20 the respecced to slash and took 24DW 24Slash for thid i hurt like hell and never lost a single 1 on 1.

You can spec 24 24? I thought the maximum skill pts available resulted in 24 23 with some spare points left if you wanted to go all out offensive.
Anyway, 21 21 or 19 19 spec will produce the same dmg if you got a good sc temp and buffs. I cap dmg speccing 21 21 15 on Embra and never go above 125 dmg mainhand 75 dmg offhand pr swing unless I use reactionaries, in vendo the story changes drastically due to huge crits but I prefer not to use it tbh.

You play your merc these days? I would like a duel :wub:

Staffzor

Fledgling Freddie
Strega said:
You can spec 24 24? I thought the maximum skill pts available resulted in 24 23 with some spare points left if you wanted to go all out offensive.
Anyway, 21 21 or 19 19 spec will produce the same dmg if you got a good sc temp and buffs. I cap dmg speccing 21 21 15 on Embra and never go above 125 dmg mainhand 75 dmg offhand pr swing unless I use reactionaries, in vendo the story changes drastically due to huge crits but I prefer not to use it tbh.

You play your merc these days? I would like a duel :wub:

Auto trained I am guessing

Xplo

Banned
Strega said:
Try 19 crush, 19 dw, 19 parry with + 5 to all skills, your ws will be incredible high anyway due to HO strength. The 6 sec stun in the crush line will save you alot imo. Just a thought. You might even want to go 21 weapon 21 dw 15 parry(same spec as Embra: 21 axe 21 La 15 parry)

Up to you ofc

completely agree with him, crush is the way to go.

Cawr

Fledgling Freddie
gimpchimp said:
As I understand it, Parry chances are halved anyway so it'd make little difference anyway.

Thats rubbish mate ;)

Strega said:
Anyway, 21 21 or 19 19 spec will produce the same dmg

Speccing higher will increase WS and result in a higher %chance to swing the off-hand weapon, the gains may not be huge but they are there :p

Edit : My spelling :eek6:

Staffzor

Fledgling Freddie
gimpchimp said:
I thought that chances to Parry were halved in RvR?

Against 2hand they are I think, and evade is against dual wield. Might be miss informed or jsut plain wrong tho ;).

BTW who needs to parry when you have DT up almost every fight?

Cawr

Fledgling Freddie
DT gives a chance to fumble, isn't guarenteed - a decent permenant defense is always nice imo

Oh and it doesn't seem to work as wel in pve as it does pvp from my experience.

Staffzor

Fledgling Freddie
Cawr said:
DT gives a chance to fumble, isn't guarenteed - a decent permenant defense is always nice imo

Oh and it doesn't seem to work as wel in pve as it does pvp form my experience.

If he wanted a defence class why go a merc :E

Cunnyfunt

Fledgling Freddie
gimpchimp said:
I thought that chances to Parry were halved in RvR?
your chance to parry is divided by your number of attackers iirc. not sure abut 2handers or dual wield....

Eluvia

Fledgling Freddie
Dual weild halves evade, hence why assasins dont evade each other much.
2hander halves parry. As a mercenary, go 24 dmg type rest dual weild for the win :p

Staffzor

Fledgling Freddie
Cawr said:
7-15 parry defensive? Yeh okay!

It is more defensive than maxmising your damage output IMO, and I would think having DT up fairly often, almsot ever fight by the time he spots a solo enemy would compensate and the higher cap damage and WS > 4% extra base chance to parry, and 2% extra base chance to parry versus 2handers (all them solo skalds out there)

Strega

Fledgling Freddie
There is no doubt that speccing 24 weapon 23 La/Dw/Cd will make you offensive and tweak the dmg output to the limit with good gear. However, that spec is only good for fighting 1 enemy at a time or being a grp dmg dealer. Being a solo non-stealthing zerk I seldom only encounter one person at a time, mostly 2-3 and thats when 21 21 15 or 19 19 19 comes into its own. Having dome defensive capabilities will keep you alive longer and the dmg output won`t suffer either. This is the only reason I have survived 3 vs 1 fights in the past.

Now spec your thid char just the way you want and gratz on 43 :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom