Obtaining a soloable Artifact

Oldleaf

Fledgling Freddie
So you want to obtain a soloable Artifact?, i just tried one. Aten's shield, not the best shield but ok lets give it a try. While arriving on Treasure Island i noticed someone else have tried to open some chests to, actualy the whole island was overcamped by mobs. Atleast with my stealth i was been abled to reach some chests, first try: some Elementals, no big problem they are neutral, second try, Black Crocodiles, np iam a Minstrel i have speed and sos is active, so i runned away with sprint on sos on and speed song on, but the feckers catch me! Another 15 gold wasted on a simply Artifact you cant even get alone without wasting lots of gold to buy con back. So another disapointment of TOA for me, o yes, i forgot to tell that i have spend more then 30 hours to get the proper scroll for Aten's Shield without succes, but after giving up i found one at a fair price in the housing zone. If this is the way to get high value objects what can help you in RvR the fun for me is over. Mythic you can do this much better!, or not? Iam playing Rpg games since the mid eighties and remembering that obtaining items or doing quests can be a real challenge, not in this game, bashing hundreds of mobs trying to obtain the nessesary scrolls and then an anti climax encounter.
No fun at all...

Nxs

One of Freddy's beloved
Ive ran away from black crocks loads while doing my Mau factions solo using SoS, didnt even need sprint... you sure somethings not up ?

And really ToA is the PvE addon for DAOC, From the stuff I read before it came out - i fully understood it was not a 'solo' addon, most encounters will need a group or a guild, its not intended to be easy to attain artifacts and ML's

Roseanna Silverglade

Fledgling Freddie
I completely understand, Very soon I wont have a quarter of the time I have now to play on the PC, all I will really want to do is a couple of emain hours every now and then and a odd evening when I can. Toa is going to make that difficult, Im not an uber Inf or anything, but I'm fairly strong, well specced and RR6 with Maxed MP Template, so I'm used to having good fights with a fair chance of victory. Without these new artifacts I fear I'm going to struggle to keep up.
I spent ages on the Goddess Necklace, solo-able, then find it's bugged, daoc europe report its fixed, same problem, one of the damn mermaids gets bored and swims off. Most artifacts are camped, so part time/ light players don't stand much of a chance, by the time they get a decent artifact, everyone would have gotten theirs to level 10.
Never has an update/patch annoyed me so much as this one, in any game I've played. Gratz Mythic!

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
These artefact quests aren't all meant to be soloable - if they were, it wouldn't be an MMORPG would it?

Ask for some help from someone else if you can't manage it by yourself.

Moo

Fledgling Freddie
u can solo a good few artifacts tbh

easiest are proly belt of sun and belt of moon

Ssera

Fledgling Freddie
I soloed the Belt of the Sun (well actually duoed with my sb and bot) but had to do it around 6am in the morning to avoid the queue waiting on each island... Tried to the the Harpy Feather Cloak - killed all the harpies but it didn't drop :( Just want Shades of Mist now but don't think I can duo that (not with sb anyway...).

Smurflord

Fledgling Freddie
As people have said this is a multi-player game. TOA is purely designed to promote grouping and cooperation. People have been complaining a lot over the last year or so that the PvE was too easy and there were no real challenges left, so they gave us some. Not just higher level mobs, but stuff that has to make you think a bit more. Personally I think it's great.

As for soloing artifacts, they're not supposed to be soloed. If you really want a solo artifact encounter, go for Golden Scarab Vest, if you can stand the boredom.

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
The boring thing tho is that you can not activate the artifact if you haven't obtained it yourself. I soloed the Aten's Shield with my lvl 46 BD the other day and after that I farmed the scrolls for it aswell. I was so happy cuz' now I had my first artifact and was gonna activate it with my healer, cuz' BD's can use shield (obviously). And yeah right, that wasn't possible :(

I've spent over 300 gp on trying to get it again with my healer but for nothing.. Curse you Mythic! :(

:( <cries irl> :(

Belorfyn

Fledgling Freddie
I soloed Aten's shield for my Skald too with end regen potion as my only companion :)

The scrolls took one evening, maybe 3-4 hours I think. I didn't get them all myself but traded/got given them by other hunters in same area.
Always remember that when you're farming for scrolls, ask people hunting in same area if they got spares. They might be farming scrolls for different artifact from same mobs and thye might had got your scroll they don't need and maybe you got some they're lookign for. Or you can exchange duplicates of same artifact scrolls when you're hunting for same artifact.
Or sometimes you can get given scrolls if they don't need them :)

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
There are a few good artifacts you can get solo/duo

Goddess Neck - solo
Sun Belt - solo
Harpy's Feather Cloak - Duo to be safe
Winged Helm - Solo with speed or duo
Traitors - Duo to be safe unless you are a buffed tank.
others like shades can be sone with well under a fg of non opted chars.

I'm not saying you can get the best artifacts solo but some are easy to obtain without tha hastle of /random 100.

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Bloodhunter said:
And why the hell doesn't midgard get robes?! Naliah's Vest suck! :(

sowwy, I was cought up in the mood :)

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Smurflord said:
As people have said this is a multi-player game. TOA is purely designed to promote grouping and cooperation. People have been complaining a lot over the last year or so that the PvE was too easy and there were no real challenges left, so they gave us some. Not just higher level mobs, but stuff that has to make you think a bit more. Personally I think it's great.
Well this is true, but they can atleast see to that we can complete what we setout to do, i know people who waster 20 hours+ on ml3 just because of a bugged mob, and no gm or anything able to help. Really takes the fun out of the game and getting people together gets harder aswell.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Artifact encounters should be suited to the class who needs it, without expecting them to bring several other classes. Yes, it's fun to kill mobs with 1-2fg... but getting this many people together, heading over to the encounter area and findind it's camped, not up or bugged is not fun. Not only are you getting people together, but you need to be lucky and find the encounter is infact ready!

This might work for some people but the majority of players don't have the time or resources to repeat raids for the same encounter. It all comes back to how much time you have to play the game, and casual players won't have the time needed to fool around with artifacts.

ML encounters aren't bad, some are even fun to do oO
But artifacts were implemented in a bad way. I've only activated the Egg of Youth and it's still at level 0 ---- I did enough XP'ing to bring this character to lv50 and I can't go through it again. I doubt I'll ever level any artifacts and if it becomes an issue in RvR.... well, WoW beta is soon I hope oO

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Aren't artifacts supposed to be a rarity? Like.. only people who really try hard should have 'em? Imo, they should increase the decay rate on the artifact items and only spawn artifacts if there are less than 100 (or 50, should depend on the realm pop) of those in the realm anyway. It shouldn't ruin (if it even ruins RvR as some people say) RvR that way.

nick

Fledgling Freddie
I soloed (with a bb!) Madening Scalars, Croc's Tooth Ring and Sun Belt.

Rediknight

Can't get enough of FH
Can someone, first of all, confirm that an artifact i found for my Merc couldnt be passed to another of my family to activate it?? now THATS a sucky thing to do to us...

On that note, though, i've been soloing/duoing/grouping hunting Skyros for the third part of Oglidarsh's scrolls for best part of 5 days in total, and so far have found not even a sniff of it under the sea, the only one i do see is one for sale at a consignment merchant for 5p...

i dont have that kind of money, i've NEVER had that kind of money, and seeing as how i appear to be the only person without 20p+ in albion seems i'm destined to remain scroll 3-less, unless someone can give me some kind of answer as to how to make the bloody thing drop!!!

ahh, dunno why i bother really - if i try to put it on, ill probably lag and end up choking myself to death with it around my face or something before i catch up :(

Comrades of Camelot

Fledgling Freddie
IMO they should give artifacts quest status, ie all in group get a drop etc. Still have them as fairly hard quests, like for instance the one for the bp on inshal (sp?) island in SI, but instead of all getting credit and just one dropping, all get credit and one drop to all. that would give people more incentive to group up for artifact hunts, it certainly would make me do them more, atm if someone asks me to come on artifact hunts (which i've done a hell of a lot of lately) i feel like im just tagging along cos i wont get anything except the satisfaction of helping somebody out of it.

Oldleaf

Fledgling Freddie
Hunted for Champions Note 3 for more then 30 hours without result, Shield is soloable to get but it cost you 15g each second try to get back con loss. Killed Sobo Kamu for two days to get Scholars Note 3, again without any result, chain pulled hundreds of Sobo Komo for Scholars Note 1 still dont have it. And that are the easy to get Artifacts. :eek2:

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Oldleaf said:
Hunted for Champions Note 3 for more then 30 hours without result, Shield is soloable to get but it cost you 15g each second try to get back con loss. Killed Sobo Kamu for two days to get Scholars Note 3, again without any result, chain pulled hundreds of Sobo Komo for Scholars Note 1 still dont have it. And that are the easy to get Artifacts. :eek2:

whereas i got scholars notes 1 and 3 about 3 times each in a 3 hour pulling session just me and my bot, although i didn't go for the sokobites I was pulling skyros (i think...)

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
Smurflord said:

As for soloing artifacts, they're not supposed to be soloed. If you really want a solo artifact encounter, go for Golden Scarab Vest, if you can stand the boredom.

Some artifacts are solo. Some are 'half group'. ML2 ones generally need a 'well balanced' full group and beyond that it varies. Some require large battle groups (some mandatory with 1.68). And higher ML does not mean larger group.

Linnet

Fledgling Freddie
Redi, you can transfer an unactivated artifact between characters no problem. (If time online is an issue, I really would recommend you consider getting the sun belt instead of oglidarsh's - you will save yourself a lot of pain when you want to level it.)

Some of the artifact encounters we have done have been a good laugh and quite well thought out (Staff of Gods was amusing, and I thought belt of the sun/moon was an interesting encounter, axe of malice was fun, egg of youth was quite fun but veeeerrry slow) but having to keep assembling the group for each person who wants to do it, then hoping the thing isn't camped and the artifact mob is up ... it's hard to coordinate in a small guild.

Some of them are just nuts. Eirene's Hauberk is a horrible encounter. I'd love to help a guildie get it, but we just can't commit to having a group of people hanging around for a few hours while we hope the mob appears, doesn't get smacked by anyone else and then actually drops the thing ;/ (On the brighter side, Danos seemed doable with a good group.)

Scrolls are just odd. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not ;/ In a way, I kind of like that it has returned a bit of excitement about drops into the game. We all had got jaded about salvaging pretty much everything.

Oro

Fledgling Freddie
I like PvE and RvR. Do a bit of everything. Hunt, explore, some roleplaying, some silliness. Am just about to start the ToA stuff which I've been really looking forward to. I know a lot of people have complained about the time sink but I think many are looking at it from the wrong point of view.

Most people, ESPECIALLY those that are RvR focused think its just the next thing to make them uber in RvR or that they need it to compete. Partially true possibly but not completely: its both an alternative for those that don't like constant RvR to get something that will give them something unique and some nice PvE questing, which is what a fantasy game is supposed to have.

ToA is not just about artifacts and MLs, they are just the rewards. Its the people that want the rewards fast and for little effort are the ones that are complaining the loudest when they should be taking their time to enjoy an aspect of the game which brings a new dimension to it.

There is already one very nice side effect: lvl50s are joining xp groups as they xp their artifacts which is helping lower level peeps gain big time.

People should stop just looking at their own selfish need to be uber and enjoy themselves.

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Linnet said:
Redi, you can transfer an unactivated artifact between characters no problem.
Sure he can transfer it but if the char he transfer the artifact to hasn't completed the encounter he can't activate it. Which is completely stupid imo :(

SoWat

Loyal Freddie
Originally Posted by Linnet

Some of the artifact encounters we have done have been a good laugh and quite well thought out (Staff of Gods was amusing......

How did your Staff of Gods go? I've heard it's very hard to get the thing away clean.

I have all the scrolls for this but, as a member of a very small guild, I'm not sure if we have the manpower to carry it out.

Cheers

Linnet

Fledgling Freddie
SoWat said:
How did your Staff of Gods go? I've heard it's very hard to get the thing away clean.

I have all the scrolls for this but, as a member of a very small guild, I'm not sure if we have the manpower to carry it out.

Cheers

Depends a lot on which realm you are in. We're albs, so benefit from overpowered realm abilities.

We did this encounter with 5 people. 1 paladin, 1 cleric with BoF, a minstrel with SoS, an earth theurgist (6s pbt) and a sorceress.

We parked the skiff at the surface and set it to be public.

Paladin grabs the staff, with minstrel and cleric and theurg stuck to him/her. Minstrel hits SoS and they head to the surface, cleric uses BoF if necessary, sorcerer hangs back and mezzes zillions of sharks (whatever the max is that you can mez at one go - 15 per cast I think).

Everyone clambers into the getaway boat as fast as possible, and it gets steered away -- sharks chase for a bit but can't keep up with the boat.

Then you all sail off in search of the magical lemon of uberness, which is on a tree on an island surrounded by hesperides. With 6s PBT running, it's no big deal for a paladin to run in there and play with magical lemons, ignoring the arrows.

That's basically it. You probably could do it without the casters, but there wouldn't be much point since they are the ones who are likely to want the staff :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom