NTL to upgrade 10 10 Mbps for Free

gmloki

Part of the furniture
According to this is money NTL have announced that the current offering of 3Mbps will be upgraded to 10Mbps for free. The roll out is imminent and some reports on the net suggest this will be as early as this week whilst others suggest it will be a phased roll out across the uk for the remainder of this calender year.

Bandwidth cap is to go from 30gb a month to 75gb a month which imho is more than ample

Anyone on ther intro rate will be upgraded to 3 Mpbs as well

Article on This is Money
NTL Broadband Page

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
No mention if they are uping the upload speed accordingly, can see that soon becoming a problem for more things than Bittorrent.

I assume Telewest will be following this shortly, although the last thing there Boss was talking about was potential for a 100 M service.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Heh, it certainly does not apply to Ireland, since NTL Ireland isnt NTL anymore.

Was sold off a few months ago, is currently officially owned by some investment bank, until the 'real' purchase by UPC is approved.

NTL purchased it 4 or 5 years ago, failed to invest the money they promised to on required upgrades, then sold it again. Cant get any worse from here really.

SparKeh

Fledgling Freddie
Draylor said:
Heh, it certainly does not apply to Ireland, since NTL Ireland isnt NTL anymore.

Was sold off a few months ago, is currently officially owned by some investment bank, until the 'real' purchase by UPC is approved.

NTL purchased it 4 or 5 years ago, failed to invest the money they promised to on required upgrades, then sold it again. Cant get any worse from here really.

It applies to northern ireland though - right? cos thats part of the uk :D

Addlcove

Fledgling Freddie
they still use the NTL branding though

hmm might be time to switch to Irish broadband

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
So when are they gonna give me a 5mbit line then for being on 2mbit? :p

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
They really are to predicable... they should just merge like they been trying to for years and get it over and done with :)

Although will now be on 10 Mb a month :) Now just to figure out what to use it on...

Also 17.99 for 2 Mb not bad at all...

Pity the Upload speeds still suck.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Ukle said:
Pity the Upload speeds still suck.

Indeed, 10 mbit is a bit shitty if you do lots of peer to peer where the upload is 512 kbits or whatever :(.

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
Bulldog has to be the worst

If you are considering changing your broadband service provider to Bulldog Communication Ltd then stop.

Do not do it under any circumstances.

http://graeme.wakerley.users.btopenworld.com/bulldog.htm

Are they? Reason I ask is because I am moving home soon and I will only have access to ADSL, not Cable. So am looking at ADSL providers at the moment. Is this one guy having a bit of a bad time or are Bulldog that bad?

NaveT

Fledgling Freddie
Just checked, and my local provider (ComCast) have just upgrade my line to 6mb!!!

File size transferred : 2.01 MB (2110520 bytes)
Total time taken : 2.72 seconds (2719 milliseconds)
Throughput = 6.21 Mbps [Megabit-per-second]

i love this competition all the ISP;s are currently going through.

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
Telewest is following the lead of NTL by increasing broadband access speeds to 10 meg.

From next month, the cable company is to begin work upgrading its network on a region-by-region basis. The work is expected to be completed early next year.

Once completed, punters currently hooked up to Telewest's entry-level 512K service will see their speed increased to 2 meg. Those currently hooked up to 1 meg will see their speed accelerate to to 4 meg while the rest will get the full 10 meg.

Prices will remain the same, which means a 10 meg service should cost around £35 a month.

Said Eric Tveter, Telewest president and COO: "There have been a few ISPs making a fuss about 2Mb services recently, but that often represents the maximum speed they can offer at the moment.

"We're making 2Mb our minimum speed and we'll also be offering a choice of affordable 4Mb and 10Mb services for more demanding internet users.

"What's more, our customers will be able to make full use of this extra bandwidth because we won't be introducing caps and all the new speeds will be available across the network."

Which is different to the speed upgrade announced by NTL earlier this week. It plans to give all its punters 10 meg broadband but they are to be charged for how much they use.

gg Telewest! :worthy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom