NTL: pile of shit

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Anyone else have NTL here? what an utterly shit service, net is up and down when it is up its slow and laggy. the TV service is even worse, it is always freezing and nothing on it works (pay per view, interactive etc) to top it all off thier customer service people make it clear they couldnt give a toss.

We are going to change over to sky for our TV but i am not sure who to use as an ISP, any suggestions?

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
I honestly have never had a problem with NTL in 2 years.
I did find that initially that switching from a USB connection to a NIC card improved speeds and prevented dropped connections when downloading large files.
Last thing you want is to switch to some oul shite like BT and have download limits. :(

The TV GUI is pants though, freezes all the time.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Wont go into too much detail, but I was almost taken to court by NTL.

I was a loyal customer for 2 years and when it came time to move house they wouldnt disconnect me.

I could not get through to the right department on something like 100 phone calls, i wrote 10 letters to various departments asking them to remove my service to no avail, sent around 30-40 emails, no response.

In the end i had my bank terminate the payment and 6 months later recieved a threatening letter to take me to court, even though i had moved address some 7 months earlier.

Needless to say, i never paid and they dropped the case when i presented all the copies of emails and letters i had sent.

Funny thing was the couple who moved into my house enjoyed 7 months free cable TV and broadband internet.....as far as i know they still are :)

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
Tallen said:
Wont go into too much detail, but I was almost taken to court by NTL.

I was a loyal customer for 2 years and when it came time to move house they wouldnt disconnect me.

I could not get through to the right department on something like 100 phone calls, i wrote 10 letters to various departments asking them to remove my service to no avail, sent around 30-40 emails, no response.

In the end i had my bank terminate the payment and 6 months later recieved a threatening letter to take me to court, even though i had moved address some 7 months earlier.

Needless to say, i never paid and they dropped the case when i presented all the copies of emails and letters i had sent.

Funny thing was the couple who moved into my house enjoyed 7 months free cable TV and broadband internet.....as far as i know they still are :)

next time you move do the same and let me move in mkay? :D

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
ntl pwn, took like 30 seconds to upgrade my connection to 1.5mbit. do this on adsl and it would taske like 3 weeks.

cable is superior to adsl but ntl still rock over all.

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
I had NTL and yes, it is the shittiest ISP ever. I would say AOL is worse but AOL is SO incredibly shit that I don't even count it as an ISP.

I'm now on Pipex and I've never looked back.

Garnet

Fledgling Freddie
Telewest ftw :) /throws BT fish modem out of the window.

Buffer

Fledgling Freddie
Ive been a cable modem customer of ntl for about 4 years and generally i would say its good. Ive had the odd disconnection but i always understand that no one can provide continous service, sometimes there is a hiccup. I just get a bath or go for a beer, take a break, then come back.

Thier customer support does suck tho
For some reason they once decided i hadnt paid for my account(I had, even they agree with that).They terminated my net access and deleted my website/files.

I recieve several emails a day from one ntl customer with a virus attached. Ive reported him through various channels(email, telephone, website) yet still a week later im still getting the email/spam.

Once had a classic conversation with thier help line

me: yes my internet/cable connection has gone down
ntl: ok sir let me check your modem from this end
me: it did same last night but i couldnt get in touch, said u was shut on automessage
ntl: well we had a bomb scare and evacuated the building
me: ah ok
ntl: I dont know why anyone would bomb us
me: maybe its a pissed off customer who has lost his internet connection
ntl: working on your problem right now sir, let me see

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
I had NTL at university last year, the only problem we had was when a small "chavlet" (a chav in training) decided to cut through the cable with a penknife. After throwing a brick at my housemate, we proceeded to run over his skateboard with a van, and locked him in the car boot for several hours.

NTL repaired the cable the next day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom