Noton Anti virus scanning multi files in one .exe

L

lynchet

This is probably nothing but I am uber paranoid about viruses so I thought Id check ;)

Using Norton Anti Virus 2003. Usually if I scan an .exe file that actually has a lot of sub files within in, Norton counts up how many files its scanning, 10,20,33 etc and at the end tells me how many files it has scanned including all the sun files -- so I might scan one .exe but get 50 files scanned.

Then I downloaded the files for the demo fo Nero 6 and scanned them. Each single .exe has multiple files within it --- and whilst Norton is scanning it counts up how many its scanned -- a couple of hundred files I think for 2 of the .exes BUT when it presents me with the report at the end it says its only scanned the number of .exe files I chose (ie 1,2 or 3). So scan one file, during scan it says scannign 100+ then reports its only scanned 1.

Is this some bug or some different form of archiving, or something to be concerned about ?

N

nath

Self extracting zips are .exe... could be that?

L

lynchet

Just odd that on every other file Ive scanned - zips, exes etc the final report has shown the total number of files within the overall file -- except for these ones

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom