Norton Error

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
i have a small problem, i believe its Norton/Ad-Watch related(before you all jump on my back i know norton is crap, but its a placebo)

i was upgrading/changing my client, this required me to manually un-install anything else Norton related

this was a while ago understand, i rarely reset my computer so it wasn't really annoying, till like 5 mins ago(im purging my pc)

anyway, i get a error msg(see attached) and i believe there's something still left in the registry interfering with start-up, and giving me the error

any response is welcomed, ty for reading

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
- run 'msconfig' from the command line. It can tell you what windows is automatically running on system startup. Check the services and startup tabs for any programs you thought you had uninstalled.

- Check programs -> startup (from the start menu) for any invalid shortcuts.

p.s. that error message typically occurs when a shortcut or file reference doesnt include text delimiters around a command line. i.e. 'C:\program files\example.bat' needs to be delimited otherwise the OS will run it as a command of 'C:\program' with the 'files\example.bat' part used a command line parameter.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Just remembered you are still on 2000. Unfortunately the very handy msconfig is a windows XP only tool :( In windows 2000 you can access a list of the services running on your PC through control panel -> admin tools -> services. Check to see if the old version of norton still has any services still mistakenly setup.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
btw, im on 2000, msconfig doesn't seem to work...

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
heh, theres a few... but problem is... im now using a newer version, so i dont know what is relevant to witch

soze

I am a FH squatter
i think it is sysedit in previous versions of windows.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
I have seen this a few times with norton installs.

You can search the registry and delete any keys you find, typically they should be under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Symantec (or norton?)
&
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Symantec (or norton?)

If that fails search the registry for Symantec and Just blow anything away with Symantec if the AV is the only product u have installed.

/Edit
Disclaimer
(You mess with the reg at ur own risk, but u have to pretty clumsy to screw it up so bad u cant boot). :p

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
soze said:
i think it is sysedit in previous versions of windows.

It has been msconfig since 98.

Sysedit is somewhat different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom