North England = Midgadians Holiday Heaven?

W

Whoodoo_RD

I wondered about the names of some of the housing zones in Midgard, I havnt checked Alb or hib because I got bored enough looking for mine, so perhaps someone would like to try this.

It seems either Mythic are shat at geography, or think all Scandinavians (Midgardians) want their hols in Northern England:

Just a few examples, there are more....These are all in Erikstaad

Keld - Village in Northumbria
Sedbergh - Village in the Lake District
Threapland - Village in the lake District http://www.threaplandmoss.co.uk/
Havelock - Ditto http://www.ralph-blain-dunnerdale.applegratis.co.uk/
Uldale - Guess.... http://www.whitestreet.freeserve.co.uk/uldale/uld.htm
Cotterdale - North Yorkshire...makes a nice change
Raisgill - Skipton North Yorkshire...

At this point i got bored, so the question I guess is do all you Scandinavians see Northern England as the place you really want to buy a house, settle down and deck out in weird trophies?

F

Flimgoblin

they're all viking settlements :)

bit like Strathclyde in the hibernia housing zone is an irish settlement.

L

liste

i'm assuming that most of the villages are named after a certain event back in time. And seing as vikings plays a vast part of the english history, well, there's your answer :)

D

Draylor

Originally posted by Flimgoblin
bit like Strathclyde in the hibernia housing zone
Well having Strathclyde as a small village in Meath is a little confusing just for starters ;)

Strathclyde being (the old name for a) large region in Scotland, whereas Meath is a county in Ireland which is significantly smaller.

O

old.linnet

It was certainly a popular holiday destination for vikings a few centuries ago :)

S

svartmetall

Originally posted by old.linnet
It was certainly a popular holiday destination for vikings a few centuries ago :)
Yes, althought their 'family fun days' left a bit to be desired.

V

vesania

Bah, pop another burning long boat on the beach and get out the marshmallows.

C

chretien

You'll find that if you get an A-Z of the British Isles that most places in Albion and Hibernia actually exist. There is for example a real Caer Renaris - well, there is a place called Renaris that has a castle which is much the same. I pretty much assumed that most of the Mid place names were lifted from Danish/Swedish/Norwegian geography.

S

svartmetall

Originally posted by chretien
I pretty much assumed that most of the Mid place names were lifted from Danish/Swedish/Norwegian geography.
They are...one of my fellow GMs has a house in the real Jamtland Mountains...

M

mib666

Hmm, so why didnt Mythic just call the entire Mid housing zone "Hull" :p

C

chretien

Originally posted by mib666
Because no-one wants to live in Hull cos it's a cesspit. Duh!

M

mib666

Congratulations for spotting that one :rolleyes:

S

svartmetall

the entire zone would do -40 Charisma

F

Fafnir

Originally posted by svartmetall
I live in Uppland, close to the portal to work :D

R

Roo Stercogburn

Interestingly, I don't think Strathclyde really existed as a region back in Viking times. I think it would have been more accurate to have called it Galloway, and specifically, if they wanted a place where the Vikings landed they should have called it Largs.

Largs still celebrates a Viking festival every year but basically its just an excuse to spend even more time in the local pubs than usual. I like it :D

J

Javai

Originally posted by Whoodoo_RD

Sedbergh - Village in the Lake District

Oh my, that where my family live! It's actually a town btw and isn't in the lake district but in the Yorkshire Dales National Park. Now I'm gonna have to make a Mid on Pryd so I can go look it at :)

Alot of the Alb villages are named after places in and around the Lake District too.

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by Draylor
Well having Strathclyde as a small village in Meath is a little confusing just for starters ;)

Strathclyde being (the old name for a) large region in Scotland, whereas Meath is a county in Ireland which is significantly smaller.

it's the same magic they use to make the houses much bigger on the inside :)

A

Aremeriel

Originally posted by svartmetall

Givf back Jämtland and Härjedalen to Norway... :p

Originally posted by mib666
Why not Hell? As we also have that...

One of the villages are named the same as a toilet-paper brand (advertising softness) in Norway.. Lambi... Don't know if it has some old reference though...

T

Tiwaz

On a saturday afternoon most people on the streets of copenhagen (denmark), is actually from Malmø (sweden)

Its a modern time invasion I fear;)
Fortunately they pay for the goods the bring home with them:D

L

liste

if you consider vomit, broken bottles and urin payment, sure :p

W

Wij

Vikings were very active in Northern England circa 800-900 AD. iirc all the towns and villages that end in 'by' (e.g. Selby, my hometown) or 'thorpe' (e.g. Fridaythorpe, my Dad's hometown) are viking named.

I AER TEH VIEKING !!!1

T

Tiwaz

Originally posted by liste
if you consider vomit, broken bottles and urin payment, sure :p

Well, it is marginally better than being slayed with a broardsword:p

Besides I was referring to the few sober swedes invading our wonderfull capital:)

L

liste

are there actually any sober swedes in Denmark, if you dont count the 20 minutes from they arrive till they are hammerfaced ;)

F

Flimgoblin

Thinking about it Strathclyde was actually a Briton kingdom (with it's capital at Dumbarton) - the Scottish settlements back in Arthur's day woulda been called Dalraida (they set off from Dalraida in Northern Ireland and landed in Dalraida in Scotland... marvellous eh?)

S

Speedr

Referring to the Hib side of things , quite a few places in Hib are in Ireland today, like Ardee, Co. Louth ... Innis Carthaig a.k.a Enniscorthy Co. Wexford .... Howth, Co Dublin.. bout 8 miles from me hehe , Meath..as in Co Meath , Connaught << as it's meant to be spelled is a province on the West of Ireland.

I'm sure there's lots more, can't think of em atm.

BTW, BOTH Vikings and Norsemen were resident in this country so we got influence from them both /wave to my possible norse ancestry out there lol.

A

Aremeriel

Originally posted by Wij
Vikings were very active in Northern England circa 800-900 AD. iirc all the towns and villages that end in 'by' (e.g. Selby, my hometown) or 'thorpe' (e.g. Fridaythorpe, my Dad's hometown) are viking named.

By means city in Norwegian (maybe Swedish and Danish as well, I can't remember at the moment.)
And thorpe comes from torp which means something like a small settlement, can even mean something like farm iirc.

Originally posted by Wij
I AER TEH VIEKING !!!1
Thou are the Viking Light.. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom