nooo the £$£$^%$££"£

R

Raktael

Argh!!!!

I brought DAOC today! (apparently 'new' from Game) installed and am patching away as I type...BUT...

apparently my key code has already been used...

login was: jspringett...if I find you, I'm gonna kill you, ya %££$£$ how dare ye!!!
I've e-mail GOA, hope they can sort it out, if not, I'll be back in game getting my cash back and looking for another copy, but it was the last one in the shop I think.

O woe is me, woe is me!!! Help me GOA! :(

T

tris-

its not his fault, GAME have a policy of putting games back on the shelf when someone returned them, they shouldnt, but they do :p

R

Raktael

yup, but usually all have the pre-owned sticker on em.

I know 2 of the guys that work in the Game in my town, so I may be going to kill them over this weekend *prepares his weapons*

;)

G

Generic Poster

Take it back to game, tell them what's happend and get a new one. If they won't exchange it, return it.

Once you say that, they will exchange it for you.

R

Raktael

I think it was the last one in the shop, so not sure if they'd be able to exhange it :(

D

Damon_D

Well they better or make them phone Goa whilst you are in the shop :mad:

R

Raktael

I will, cos I is not happy :( I been a loyal Game (EB) customer since that shop opened years ago :( I even used a 10 quid voucher to help buy the game (I buy way too much from there!)

O

old.Xanthian

Erm... isnt that kinda illegal to do what this guy did ?
Technically Game could get him in a bit of trouble for something, as they will have his name and address in the returns book.

Anyway, just take it back and explain what the problem is..
Im sure they will exchange it.

J

Jexa

Exactly the same happened to me ... but even better before that ... they tried to sell me one without a CD in it ...

There was no wrapping on it, and I took it out of the shop, checked .. no CD ... nice manual tho ...

Took it back in, got another one, installed, CD key in use. Exchanged. This one actually worked, except my cd key has LAG as the first three letters of the first part of the code, and BUM as the next 3 .. someone was laughing at me, I think ... :)

R

Raktael

I think with games like this, they should advise retailers not to accept returns of the game because of this reason, or if they get returns, not to re-sell because whoever attempts to buy it next will come back a very angry customer! :(

F

Flimgoblin

happened to me from EB too...

either someone's registered it then returned it
or it's their staff 'education' policy ;) of borrow a game, play it, bring it back.

Anything I need to register to play I'm gonna get from amazon in future (took my copy back, had to go halfway across edinburgh to the other store to get a replacement *grumbles*)

I

ivan_tribbiani

w00t, im in Edinburgh too, if im correct we only have 2 Game stores round hehe, one in Cameron Tall and Princess Street, they never ever have replacements in the one in Princess Street :)

<< Is glad he bought his first week of issue :p

F

Flimgoblin

was EB (which is now Game)... and theres one on hanover and another in st james centre

I

ivan_tribbiani

Oh yeah forgot about stjames, but didnt know of the one in Hanover street, isnt that the lane just behind Princess Street ?

J

Jinnythewst

Wahoo! More Edinburgh types :) Thought I was about the only DaoC player in Scotland.........

Hanover street runs perpendicular to Princes Street, opposite the mound..........

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by ivan_tribbiani
Oh yeah forgot about stjames, but didnt know of the one in Hanover street, isnt that the lane just behind Princess Street ?

nope, that's Rose Street
Hanover street is the one that leads from the mound over to george street then turns into dundas street.

I

ivan_tribbiani

Mmmmm must be an xEB store there then. I was dead sure there couldnt be a Game store there four months ago. <makes note to check it out in October>

R

Raktael

Ah well, I'm waiting for a replacement to be sent from the Bognor store, so it should arrive tomorrow or monday I hope! (Yay, not long to go!)

I got a reply from GOA, saying take the game back etc etc ;) But also the account belonged to someone who had been banned from DAOC, cripes!

(So many edingburgh ppl here!)

Anyone from Worthing or surronding area (a town near Brighton, lol)

Not long my friends, then I shall be bashing and slashing!!! mwahahaha

O

old.tRoG

im from the outer hebrides :)

all you scots will know where that is, unless you flunked geography real bad.... :p

and yes, WE HAVE ELECTRICITY NOW!

w00t!

S

Sneo

Edinburgers =)

COOL =)

i was in Edinburgh this summer on vacation !!

really nice city i must say, the pubs is soo much better then ours in sweden =( would be nice to move to scotland some day, (i'm only 20 ..) really liked the "feeling" in the city, and the castle is beautiful :D

oh and the scottish english owns everything !!! RESPECT M8's :D

F

Flimgoblin

the castle's nice.. but it's not a real proper medieval castle - most of it's defences are gone these days..

if you want a cool castle, visit Tantallon at North Berwick (about 20 miles northeast of edinburgh... there's trains to north berwick - no idea how you actually get to tantallon though... we drove.. might need to hire a car or something)
- it's just cool :) doesn't look too big from the outside (well, it's just a curtain wall) however it's got tons of passages and caverns and stuff inside the wall... very cool :)

http://www.callycastles.plus.com/castles/lothian/tantallon.htm

*wants one of them put in Caledonia* :)

I

ivan_tribbiani

Nah you should have taken the trip round the Lochs, then visit a few remaining forts they arent castles but still nice <Fort George prolly the one to look for>. And the Edinburgh castle trip is too expensive imho, but i regularly go there just for the view of Edinburgh from the walls :)

Nite life : Eros --> Fountain Park, Punana ..............

<My guide to edinburgh life page one :p >

F

Flimgoblin

eww eros

don't go there - the Mission is the only decent club :)

Although Opium ain't half bad...

*spot the metalhead*

I

ivan_tribbiani

Yeah but The mission is only on every other week :) and no chicas :/

W

Whoodoo_RD

Back to the thread here, you peeps with these copies should name and shame the stores involved by telling either Mythic or the Trading Standards about this abuse.

I know staff at these shops are encorouged to "try" the games out, however a lot of games are now using key codes designed to stop piracy and account theft.

I too suffered with another game, and have bought games with damaged discs / manuals, supposedly brand new, and have returned them. All from Game or EB.

Buy online, seems a lot safe these days.

V

VidX

Yip, Game and EB both have the 10 Day Refund or Exchange policy. This really should only apply to videogames, and not PC games or software.

Reason? To play a PC game you need to install it. And in doing so you are transferring a part of the game to your system, transferring copyrighted material. Upon installing most software and games you need to Accept a EULA (or if not asked, it's usually stated in the manual that by installing it you have agreed, always read these things), meaning you have accepted that you (and only you unless multiple license agreement is in use) can install that software/game on one PC and one PC only.

So, if you buy, install, and then return a PC game to the store you bought it, you are still the one licensed to use it. So, for a store to repackage a game/piece of software that someone has already installed is a breech of copyright. The only way stores can accept a game/software back is if it is faulty, in which case they return it to the manufacturer/publisher.

Of course, DAoC and other subscription games have the biggest problem with this repackaging, as the CD-key will already have been used if the original person who bought the game has already registered it.

AFAIK, the only high-street stores which enforce any sort of "no software exchange unless faulty" policy is the Dixons Stores Group (their old games store chain, @jakarta, where I used to work part-time).

As Whoodoo_RD has already stated, you should let GOA know if you come across a purchased copy of DAOC and the CD-key is already in use, and let them know where you bought it. Same goes with any software you buy in a store if you suspect it might have been used already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom