No SI?

Righthandof

Fledgling Freddie
today ive just logged on, tried to get my BB in too with my shrouded isles client(to avoid lagg/swapping), but it said it has to download 750 megabytes.. i was like wtf, so checked the home page immediately, and it seems like because ToA will be free, you can no longer use shrouded isles? if so, FOAD mythic/goa, i always used SI to get my bot up.. there is a big difference between the minimum set toa client(800*600 resolution) and a minimum set si client(640*480 resolution).... i dont think i can run a main acc + buffbot acc now without swapping. :twak: :twak: :twak:

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Was announced a month ago bud, the simple fact is they can't keep patching 4 clients, the workload is too much. So the oldest client is the first to go, sad but it had to happen.

Lejemorder

Fledgling Freddie
im able to dual log much better with windowed mode and i play in 1600x1200, but with most settings low

judas

One of Freddy's beloved
yes its sucks bigtime. i can no longer rvr as the cata/toa client is to much for my comp if i want to do other things than pve.
they should alteast support it in the frontier areas if they dont want to keep updating the rest of the stuff.

Howley

Fledgling Freddie
ye wen DR is loaded up onto the servers...Si is gone...so im assuming that they are using the server that SI is on to hold DR instead...
thats how i used to alt tab too...ah well, shit happens i suppose

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
judas said:
they should alteast support it in the frontier areas if they dont want to keep updating the rest of the stuff.

Thats not the issue, the problem is that you end up having to update 4 different versions of the game everytime a patch comes out, there is no way around that either. They have to update to ensure compatabilty with the server or we end up with another disaster on the scale of the Prydwen data corruptions. It sucks I know but it makes no financial sense for them to keep the SI client supported and it is slowing down the patching/translation process for everyone else. I have a mate (Slainyou on Albion, Prydwen) in the same boat and come Wednesday morning both his main machine and second machine will be unable to run the game, he is just going to have to bite the bullet and spend a £200-300 on updating his PC. It is either that or stop playing, either way it is the shits but it was bound to happen. :(

Lejemorder

Fledgling Freddie
the main problem is that people belive that they can still play a game in 2006 with a machine they bought in 2000, the fact is you cant, and then people bitch at mythic for updating there game to better standards, just face it, if you want to keep playing, you have to update you computer.

im lucky i dont have to update my computer for another year or so with my current setting, but when my computer havnt been upgraded at all except for some more ram and a bigger harddisk.

Righthandof

Fledgling Freddie
if i could play the game in 2005 with dual logging catacombs + si with my old PC I bought at around 2001, and darkness rising is meant to run smoother than catacombs, i cant see the point, why couldnt i play the same game at 2006... this has nothing to do with improved graphics in the latest expansion(like I hope darkness rising will)..

and i think if it would be that easy to get a new comp how you typed it, everyone would have a pentium 6 with lates hdd, 2 gigs ram dual channeled etc.

Puppet

Part of the furniture
judas said:
yes its sucks bigtime. i can no longer rvr as the cata/toa client is to much for my comp if i want to do other things than pve.

Serious now tho, if you can't even run TOA properly in RvR, you can ofcourse blame Mythic/GOA, but the real reason is your PC is a frigging dinosaurus :p

To compare, my AMD AthlonXP 1800 with 768 Mb.RAM and Geforce 5200 can run a TOA-client just fine. Ofcourse the graphics suck, coz of low-budget card from 2 years ago, but hey wtf u expect, its fine as Buffbot-PC. Hell I can run Catacombs on it and do fine in the Cata-zones.

Lejemorder

Fledgling Freddie
Righthandof said:
if i could play the game in 2005 with dual logging catacombs + si with my old PC I bought at around 2001, and darkness rising is meant to run smoother than catacombs, i cant see the point, why couldnt i play the same game at 2006... this has nothing to do with improved graphics in the latest expansion(like I hope darkness rising will)..

and i think if it would be that easy to get a new comp how you typed it, everyone would have a pentium 6 with lates hdd, 2 gigs ram dual channeled etc.

we are in 2006 why i said that, ofc i could had said 2005. and why dont you just run 2 times toa instead of catacombs, as catacombs is the most laggy client.

and you just proved my point, if you comp is from 2001, ofc you have to upgrade it. and no, i dont have the money to upgrade my comp atm, but im safing up for it, you have to make a choice, what do you want? a new comp or something else?

GReaper

Part of the furniture
What spec machine is the original poster trying to use?

My buffbot box is currently a 1GHz Athlon with 768MB RAM and a GF2MX, built back in early 2001 (I think). It isn't exactly super fast but works fine for running a buffbot or stickbot, unless theres over a 100 people in the zone. :p

Even Catacombs can run on it, though as a stickbot it can't keep up as well. Sure you're not using a 486 as a buffbot box? :p

Howley

Fledgling Freddie
Lejemorder said:
the main problem is that people belive that they can still play a game in 2006 with a machine they bought in 2000, the fact is you cant, and then people bitch at mythic for updating there game to better standards, just face it, if you want to keep playing, you have to update you computer.

im lucky i dont have to update my computer for another year or so with my current setting, but when my computer havnt been upgraded at all except for some more ram and a bigger harddisk.

tbh i agree wit this...i usually buy a new pc with good stats etc...
next yr upgrade it to preform like a new 1 to that day...
then another yr, buy a new pc....this summer its time for another pc for me... /shrug

Righthandof

Fledgling Freddie
GReaper said:
What spec machine is the original poster trying to use?

My buffbot box is currently a 1GHz Athlon with 768MB RAM and a GF2MX, built back in early 2001 (I think). It isn't exactly super fast but works fine for running a buffbot or stickbot, unless theres over a 100 people in the zone. :p

Even Catacombs can run on it, though as a stickbot it can't keep up as well. Sure you're not using a 486 as a buffbot box? :p

the problem is not every1 has an extra pc connected to the internet(at least in my country), so i have to run simoultaneously a catacombs + toa client, and that hurts.

Ethild

Fledgling Freddie
I run my buffbot on a P3 (600 MHz) with 386mb of ram and GF2 MX. I run in ToA.

Aeris

Fledgling Freddie
i went to buy the latest film release on VHS and wtf, they only sell it on dvd !!

technology advances, be thankful it does or youd still be watching betamax :D

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
it boils down to the fact that most people do have PCs that can handle todays games, you will just have to upgrade i am afraid.

old.windforce

Part of the furniture
thinking bout upgrading my buffbot pc because its only a 1.8 Ghz with 512 Mb RDRAM (4.2 years old)

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Aeris said:
i went to buy the latest film release on VHS and wtf, they only sell it on dvd !!

haha repped

Lejemorder

Fledgling Freddie
Aeris said:

you do know that betamax was a better format then VHS?

Amildin

Can't get enough of FH
old.windforce said:
thinking bout upgrading my buffbot pc because its only a 1.8 Ghz with 512 Mb RDRAM (4.2 years old)

Dont do it big guy! :(

Tualatin

Fledgling Freddie
Yep... technology advances. You soon have to make a big dicision about Blue-ray, HD-DVD or Holographic :) (The DVD follow ups).

and on topic, dual logging works fine when you have one client windowed. I run Catacombs + ToA windowed.. works fine, i just can't stick as i got an AMD3500+

Aeris

Fledgling Freddie
Tualatin said:
Yep... technology advances. You soon have to make a big dicision about Blue-ray, HD-DVD or Holographic :) (The DVD follow ups).

and on topic, dual logging works fine when you have one client windowed. I run Catacombs + ToA windowed.. works fine, i just can't stick as i got an AMD3500+

i got a 3500 too and i can run two cata's in windowed on stick, but only in cata areas for some weird reason.....i need bb in toa to stick anywhere else

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
AAAAAAARRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
I mean FFS my laptop plays WOW great, but won't boot up TOA, this has now junked my super-sexy Viao U50.

What a load of steaming bolax, might just log back on WOW, DAOC is turrning into the Lib-dems with a this classic-DR crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom