No decent updates on NF from GOA

Jimmi

Fledgling Freddie
I must say I really look forward to the friday news every week. I can hardly wait for NF, even tho it's gonna gimp all my chars (all my 50's are melee).

But I feel as if GOA keep telling us the same without really getting close to a release. They keep saying "tests are going fine"... blah blah! Well its great that tests are going fine, but we want some release-info. 1 week? 1 month? 1 year?

Am I the only one who really wants NF now? :clap:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I would love to have NF now, however i dont want one that is full of bugs, so i hope they take as long as they need.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
But surely if the US servers are the same as ours (give or take a hotix), the the only thing we are actually waiting on is the translation? - Which on the English servers lets face it... just give us the patch and do the French/German servers whenever you like :)

No amount of testing can resolve some bugs, I mean this latest problem with guild BPs being reset... I am sure thats a bug somewhere that was not tested...

Givf NF!!! ... pwease... don't turn me into a lvl 1 rat or anything... :)

noaim

Fledgling Freddie
Maybe you havent noticed that the servers give 5-10 secs lag when 200 people fight at a keep. What do you think will happen if they release NF with current servers?

York

Fledgling Freddie
Dreamor said:
But surely if the US servers are the same as ours (give or take a hotix), the the only thing we are actually waiting on is the translation? - Which on the English servers lets face it... just give us the patch and do the French/German servers whenever you like :)

Have you not realised the importance of changing 'Profanity Filter' to 'Bad Words Filter' Yet? and all those other evul American words!

Ilienwyn

Fledgling Freddie
noaim said:
Maybe you havent noticed that the servers give 5-10 secs lag when 200 people fight at a keep. What do you think will happen if they release NF with current servers?

servers will die! ;p

censi

Can't get enough of FH
best things come to those that wait.

GOA will get NF out there as soon as possible without compramising server stability though.

you got to admit the daoc platform in europe is pretty stable, sure not perfect but pretty good for a comp game. A lot of good work goes on in the background.

have some faith NF will come soon and it should be worth the wait.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
censi said:
you got to admit the daoc platform in europe is pretty stable, sure not perfect but pretty good for a comp game.

Despite the fact that any relic attack force crashes the server you mean? And I don't mean just alb forces :p

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
kirennia said:
Despite the fact that any relic attack force crashes the server you mean? And I don't mean just alb forces :p
Mushroom soup anyone? ;D

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Theres been issues with every patch i can remember (1.38 onwards) that come to light even after GOA release them. However those bugs would be greater without thorough testing on Gorre, and then you would whine even more that "oh my bots broked" etc. Its not just translation, there are other things GOA need to modify from the raw code sent to them by Mythic, So I would rather wait for them to be happy with it before they unleash it up on the whingers in Euro.

Firebirth

Fledgling Freddie
If you read the Firday News items, it does say that GOA are having to upgrade the Frontier Servers in order to run NF, so this will add to the time. I agree that GOA wont give us any idea of how long it will be, but probably looking at 2-4weeks yet.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Jimmi said:
Am I the only one who really wants NF now? :clap:
Probably.

Theres far too many GOA-specific bugs in the current version - it would be nice to think 1.70 will be tested properly and the majority of these will be fixed before the servers are patched.

But given the typical standard of testing patches have been getting I wont hold my breath.

Helme

Resident Freddy
Hmm... let em take the time they need no hurry.

And to the one sayin patch english servers then patch german and french after... did you really use youre head there i mean thiere on same patchserver!!

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
The reason we don't announce more precise dates for patches to go live is because we won't ever committo anything unless we are 100% confident we can deliver it.
If we said (for example) that NF would be released in the first week of October and some bug cropped up that took two weeks to fix meaning we missed our deadline, we'd have legions of people whinging that we hadn't delivered on our promise.
As soon as we can confidently give a release date, it'll be in the news. Until then there's no way we can say how long the process will take. Even on the English servers there's a lot of work to be done as it still needs translation and testing. Not for language but for code as the international version is different to the US version.

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Requiel said:
Even on the English servers there's a lot of work to be done as it still needs translation and testing. Not for language but for code as the international version is different to the US version.

I sure as hell hope we won't see any American English!!!!

Ttillub

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
The reason we don't announce more precise dates for patches to go live is because we won't ever committo anything unless we are 100% confident we can deliver it.
If we said (for example) that NF would be released in the first week of October and some bug cropped up that took two weeks to fix meaning we missed our deadline, we'd have legions of people whinging that we hadn't delivered on our promise.
As soon as we can confidently give a release date, it'll be in the news. Until then there's no way we can say how long the process will take. Even on the English servers there's a lot of work to be done as it still needs translation and testing. Not for language but for code as the international version is different to the US version.

^^ Maybe put that on the news.
It maybe obvious to GOA people and some of the players but actually giving info and explaining things can't be harmfull.
I admit that I was waiting (again) if some kind of timetable was given but would have been nice to see even that on the news.

-Freezingwiz-

Fledgling Freddie
Draylor said:
Probably.

Theres far too many GOA-specific bugs in the current version - it would be nice to think 1.70 will be tested properly and the majority of these will be fixed before the servers are patched.

But given the typical standard of testing patches have been getting I wont hold my breath.

well at least we have the yanks to take away the worst bugs and only half of them when we get a patch :fluffle:

Arnor

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:

agreek, which is why "its done when its done" is the slogan for the computer game industry.

York

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
Even on the English servers there's a lot of work to be done as it still needs translation and testing. Not for language but for code as the international version is different to the US version.

Forgive me for my ignorance .. but why?
Appart from the 'addition' of GOA based content, why would you need to translate the code? is the PC code different in america, no. why create more work for yourselves? why can blizzard release and patch US/English at the same time yet Mythic/GOA cannot?
Forgive me again but i cannot see there being much difference from US to English versions of DAoC. What exactly are you translating that makes it so different?
Does the American version have the word 'Liberty' that needs to be translated into the correct term of 'occupation' in English for example? who the hell knows anymore!

what a load of cods wallop! :kissit:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Its not only English but German and French, we all play on the same server "batch" so all need to be up to date together on the same day or it would be chaos running different servers all on different patchs.

Fedaykin

Fledgling Freddie
requiel, at least grant me this!

change the items from American English then :D

i.e. from Armor to Armour

Mr.Brand

Fledgling Freddie
York said:
Forgive me for my ignorance .. but why?
Appart from the 'addition' of GOA based content, why would you need to translate the code? is the PC code different in america, no.

I suspect it is. Handling international symbols, which I've read the US DAoC
client doesn't do particularly well, might involve rewriting some code to use
Unicode or somesuch.

The US client is probably hardcoded to US keymaps and whatever symbols
you can squeeze out of that (Spanish-style ñ and so on).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom