Nnnngh and gnnnnngh.

C

.Cask

Ok well everyone on IRC is probably getting sick of me moaning about my PC problems so I might as well air it all out here. Here's the chain of events starting about a week ago.

1) Planetside starts crashing.
2) I notice my Asus Ti4400 fan has stopped spinning.
3) I email Asus and phone Scan. Scan tells me to phone Asus. I phone Asus in Taiwan and the guy doesn't speak very good english.

Me:"My graphics card fan has stopped working"
Him:"Sorry?"
Me:"My graphics...."
Him:"Yes?"
Me:".....card fan...."
Him:"Yes?"
Me:"...has stopped working"
Him:"Sorry?"
Me:"I'll email you."
Him:"Ok, bye!"

Didn't get a response from him.

4) Installed thermaltake G4 cooler.
5) Still crashing.
5.1) Removed fan, refitted, no change.
6) Asus finally responds:

If the problem remains and your card is still in warranty, please kindly contact with your local reseller to replace the card or for RMA service.
If your card is out of the warranty or you can't get the help of your local reseller, you can use third party VGA fan to replace the original one,
such as Thermaltake, Ideal Elethemal, etc. You can refer to their web page below:

7) Completely uninstalled current drivers and reinstalled some really old Asus drivers for testing reasons. No change. Tested memory and hard disks also.
8) Remove card, installed Geforce2 MX.
9) No crashing but insane lag.

Not sure what to do now really. I'm half tempted just to buy a new card but I paid £220 for this one just last year and it's meant to have a 3 year warranty. If I do manage to get Scan or Asus to accept it for repair/replacement will they freak when they see the cooper heatsink/fan? I can remove the fan but the ram sinks are stuck on with double sided sellotape and would be a real arse to remove.

I've been looking at the warranty and it says:

"Product warranty or service will not be extended if: (1) the product is repaired, modified or altered, unless such repair, modification of alteration is authorized in writing by Asus..." [complete with grammatical errors]

But sure the email they sent me gave written authorisation to install a third party fan. I couldn't get any help from scan so they said I can use the third party fan.

Don't know why I'm formulating arguments, there's no way I'm gonna explain this to some Taiwanese guy and their responses to emails are insanely slow.

Thanks for reading :)

E

Embattle

You'll just have to explain that you bought a replacement fan for the one that had stoped working, the one which was factory fitted.

C

.Cask

Phoned Scan again and they weren't gonna offer to do anything for me. They say after the first year the warranty is with the manufacturer.

Emailed Asus but they must be snowed under, really hard getting a response from them. I've demanded a repair or replacement - something I'd usually much rather do over the phone but I'm not paying for more calls to Taiwan. If anyone knows a UK Asus contact number please do share ;D

K

kameleon

I know you prolly have these contacts anyway, but here they are for other peeps asus

There is no UK asus, your best best would be either phoning asustek germany or emailing asustek in the netherlands both of whom would at least speak english.

C

.Cask

Yeah so good so far. They told me to email them all info and a copy of the original Asus support email. The email states pretty decisively that it'd be ok to install a third party fan so hopefully I'll get the thing fixed on warranty.

Bet it takes ages though :/

C

.Cask

Update

Nearly 4 months later and my card is still in for repairs. They sent it on to holland, they said there was nothing wrong with it and sent it back to the UK. I pretty much told the UK place that there was no point sending it back to me still broken. Apparently the tests they run don't include heating it up or putting it under stress which is when the card would fail for me.

Kind of expected slightly better service given the premium that Asus products (used to, at least) have. I doubt the card fixed itself during transit so I better get a replacement back soon. Hopefully before the technology is completely redundant :(

C

Clowneh!

It will probably be in a queue, and your card will come to the top after the warrantee expires, and then they won't fix it because it's out of guarantee, and then and then and then :(

X

Xavier

send me as much detail as to who you've spoken to and any reference numbers, we have a good relationship with ASUS UK and I'll give them merry hell for dragging this out on Monday.

C

.Cask

PM'd you with all the details Xav, appreciate any help.

C

.Cask

Posted a letter addressed to the manager last week. Still haven't heard anything, any idea what my next course of action should be chums?

T

TheJkWhoSaysNi

This may be to little to late, but did you even try the card in a different PC?

C

.Cask

Yeah I tried it on my old system and it took about 20 mins but still crashed in the end.

C

.Cask

Can't even phone them now because my phone line seems to be broken since Monday and BT is taking its sweet time fixing it. Seriously the whole friggin world is going incompetant.

Also waiting on a list of modules from uni that I passed last year. Only taken them a month so far so I suppose I'll wait a bit longer. Is quite a difficult task printing out a sheet of paper and putting it in the post I suppose.

On the bright side my new hurricane-proof umbrella and protein arrived only a few days late via courier. I was mucho impressed and probably the only reason I'm typing this instead of slitting my wrists. Also Asus has managed to link to the UK site from their main global site. Only took a few years, nice one Asus.

*EDIT* Oh right. After further investigation they've just made the UK button link to the global site. Which unfortunately lists no UK contact numbers (which would be no use to me anyway.) Great my graphics card is probably stuck in an abandoned warehouse somewhere.

B

Big G

Upgrade :(

My Ti 4400 packed in within 18 months but it was sucking anyway so I cba with the hastle of returns, therefore I upgraded. Strangely you're not the only one with a GF4 Ti series card to pack in and crash within the warranty: myself, you and i think Summo's card packed in. In my case, it was a surface mount fuse on the reverse of the card that cooked. It went from visual artifacts to just crashing the whole PC.

Again, this was related to a fan not working.... a fan that i disconnected through choice. Silly me :rolleyes:.

G

C

Clowneh!

My fan stopped working. They sent a new one from Korea or summat in the next few days.

:)

C

.Cask

Ok I sent an email because my phone was still not working and got a reply from the tech guy saying that he'd order a replacement from Holland. This seemed to take me back in time a few months but he said it'd probably be with me in a few days so I wasn't gonna complain.

But in the final bitter irony of this whole ordeal they decided to send me the card using..... Citylink. Yes, this is the Citylink that has never successfully delivered a package to me even when I've been sitting at home. The same Citylink that I had to wait outside sat in a deck-chair for 5 hours to get my harddrive. The Citylink that I've had to cancel several orders due to their inability to deliver anything. The courier company THAT ONLY DELIVERS FAILED DELIVERY NOTES and MAKES YOU COME TO THEM TO PICK UP THE ITEM. The bastards that should just stick a fuckin 2nd class stamp on the failed delivery note and get rid of the monkey and his van completely.

So unless I cycle the 25+ miles to the depot there's no way in hell I'm going to be getting my graphics card back. Annoyance.

C

caLLous

I dunno which bit of the country you're in but Citylink in Plymouth are pretty faultless in my experience. I've had stuff delivered 5 or 6 times through them and they always ring my mobile when they're approaching the house. They do it for everyone I think, although I did ask them to do it because the doorbell couldn't be much less useful if it tried; I'm making more noise by breathing I swear. But that's another thread.

Bad luck on the whole card thing, I had a Geforce 2 GTS a while back and the fan died on that too. Overheating led to crashes and hangs, I just added a Dragon Orb and no worries for the rest of that card's life. :)

E

evilmonkeh

city link are shite
i ordered something, next day delivery.
waited the next day.
never came.
came the following day, the bloke "noticed it was still in his van when he got back at the warehouse"
ffs

P

PR.

I have a Guillemot GF3 which went tits-up I sent it back to Novatech who then sent it back 1month later saying there was no problem, tried it in my new PC same problem. Sent it back again and bought a GF4, 8months later they phoneback and say they can't find a problem with it, I just said whatever send it back to me. They send it back and it still doesn't work properly :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom