Nintendo Revolution is now...

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
Wii, as in "We". The Nintendo Wii has been announced as the name for Nintendos next gaming console.

While the code-name "Revolution" expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that seperates video players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games.. and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?
Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes this console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.
Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play. And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of video games that sets it apart from the crowd. So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because, it's not really about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
As in, "this console smells of Wii", ooh, well done Nintendo.

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
Thinking about it I don't think Nintendo are taking the piss (sorry could not resist ;)).

This name change has resulted in everyone talking about it. Although it's not positive, any publicitiy is good publicity and with the likes of the Xbox 360 and PS3 holding more of the market, Wii will generate a lot of press coverage which can't be a bad thing?

I guess the only question is will people buy it? :)

DaGaffer

Ah well, when it fails, they'll have another excuse; shoot the Marketing department.

/Runs from pitchfork waving Nintendo fanboys

spud

Regular Freddie
rumbled...
*lowers his pitchfork*
Never did care about the name, I still want one.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Helluva place for slogans:

"Do you need to Wii?"

"Relieve yourself with Wii"

And so forth.

Would be a risky ad campaign but i'd use it :p

Aada

Part of the furniture
DaGaffer said:
Ah well, when it fails, they'll have another excuse; shoot the Marketing department.

/Runs from pitchfork waving Nintendo fanboys

I agree when was the last time a Nintendo console was a success? SNES? every console they have brought out since the has gone wrong every time.

N64 = Cartridges.. while Sega/sony had moved forward Nintendo stayed back and Cartridges take much longer to develop for and COST alot more which fucked the N64 before it was even on the streets.

GC= Still on with the kiddie games that not even kids want when are Nintendo going to realise that party games aren't want people want? Mario is getting extremly boring and as a whole people do not really like Platform games anymore.

Wii = No HD ? are you kidding me? i know after playing my 360 on a standard CRT tv then going to HD i would never want to go back and if i had too i would probably not bother playing the games as HD really make games that look good even better.

The control pad? can you call it this? i can see what type of games this will b e great for and thats strategy games.. BUT when do you see a strategy game on a console thats worth buying? it looks uncomfortable it doesn't mold with the shape of your hand remember the NES control pad? sqaure thing? after an hour of playing your hands really hurt.

Developers are probably put off Nintendo consoles as a whole because of their poor history when do you ever see a game for the GC now? except for the hundereds of Mario party games they keep churning out?

I bought the last 2 consoles explained above.. and after a month or too traded it in because of the lack of future release games that were of adult content i will not make the same mistake again and be tricked into buying this.

It has FAIL written all over it.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
The N64 controller was amazing for Goldeneye, it worked better for FPS than a keyboard and mouse. As you said, Nintendo ignored the mature market and focused on the kids. If they released games to compete with Tekken and GT, the N64 wouldn't have failed so badly.

I don't like the analogue on the PS2 pad, it's not smooth enough to be effective. The Nintendo "Wii" controller has potential for driving/flight sims and all sorts of innovative games.

My brother sold his xbox and games like PGR, GT... and bought an xbox360 with the updated PGR, GT etc... I don't see the point of the xbox360, it's just an intermediate solution before their next big release.

DaGaffer

I don't think you can dismiss the Revo...sorry, Wii :rolleyes:. Its going to be a LOT cheaper than the 360 or PS3, and the controller may turn out to be great; until we've seen a few games its too early to judge. Plus, look at the DS; everyone thought the PSP would kick its arse but it hasn't quite worked out that way... The fekkin name will do it no favours in English speaking markets though.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Escape said:
The N64 controller was amazing for Goldeneye, it worked better for FPS than a keyboard and mouse. As you said, Nintendo ignored the mature market and focused on the kids. If they released games to compete with Tekken and GT, the N64 wouldn't have failed so badly.

I don't like the analogue on the PS2 pad, it's not smooth enough to be effective. The Nintendo "Wii" controller has potential for driving/flight sims and all sorts of innovative games.

My brother sold his xbox and games like PGR, GT... and bought an xbox360 with the updated PGR, GT etc... I don't see the point of the xbox360, it's just an intermediate solution before their next big release.

Your right but i was refering to the NES control pad which the Wii control pad resembles its rectangular and they aren't comfortable.

The point of the Xbox360 is games like Oblivion/Ghost Recon those aren't just updated graphics and they are only the beginning of what the devs will tap into. Xbox games didn't look that great bar Halo when it was first released but as time went on they tapped into the power the console had.

Same goes for the 360.

The DS is strong it has a great following and it actually outsells PSPs now people have realized that the DS is better gaming where as the PSP is a multimedia player but doesn't do it that well but thats another topic.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
First off the motion side of the revolutionary wee means that aparently theres a fpslashemup coming out using the motion control to slash thrust and generally pirate your way around with a sword which sounds awfully yarrrr worthy.

And secondly I misread wii as wij.... which is just bad and wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom