nice [but biased] mandrake9 review

T

Testin da Cable

here. thanks to la reg for the link. seems ickle linux/mandrake has come a long way since the earlier versions. full-auto install and hardware detection and other bells and whistles. ah well :)

P

PR.

Yer when I installed Mandrake 8 it all auto installed and looked nice but then when I sat down and realised none of my games would work and the web page rendering was less than abysmal I formatted and put XP back on...

:D

W

Will

Latest version of Suse is good enough to recommend to your parents...I kid you not, even configured X itself.

D

danger

Red Hat 8 could almost do that although you need some prior knowledge about disk partitioning...

/ED: Hmm no now I think about it, it was only coz I was dual booting it with the aids infested M$ O$ that I had the odd prob with partitioning... if you install it on an empty drive as the only OS it installs pretty much without hassle!

H

Happy Go Lucky

Mandrake 9 is good but the sound system has changed for the worse since 8.2 for me anyway.

Suse 8.1 is the most windows like install available but I couldn't get my nvdia drivers to install.

T

Testin da Cable

you'll have to take out every last bit of any GL-alikes in there before you install the nvidia stuff. you got the XF config edited and all that jazz?

H

Happy Go Lucky

I didn't get that far.. I installed the os and was asked if I wanted to prepare my video card for 3D . I said yes then when I tried yast online update , it finally installed after a few times, but not properly as the size of the packages were 0. I loaded up tux racer but it didn't work.
I tried manual install outside X, but was told there was something wrong with my packages.

May try again in suse 8.2, say no to prepare card for 3D, then remove all the GL packages then try manual install.

T

Testin da Cable

should work. be prepared to muck about though, as nvidia will not work if there's any other conflicting stuff in there.

S

Shocko

Yes it will! :eek: Edit the config to use 'nvidia' as the driver, compile the GLX and kernel module, and your sorted. Packages are for girls! :D

T

Testin da Cable

nvidia have problems with conflicting GL libs. the edit in XF86Config HGL won't be able to get around, but there's nothing wrong with installing packages *cough*
I compile, you compile...but it isn't everyone's cuppa.

W

Will

Originally posted by Shocko
Yes it will! :eek: Edit the config to use 'nvidia' as the driver, compile the GLX and kernel module, and your sorted. Packages are for girls! :D
I duuno why, but almost every X problem I see is solved by editing the config file, and replacing "nv" with "nvidia".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom