Next Pope?

rynnor

Rockhound
Anyone know who's on the shortlist to replace the current incumbent as he seems on his last legs?

Wasnt this one chosen because he wasn't from italy or spain (both big power groups) and was known as a traditionalist?

Maybe we'll get a progressive pope - seems unlikely but you never know...

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I know for a fact that when this one dies, another one popes up.

/coat

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
rynnor said:
Anyone know who's on the shortlist to replace the current incumbent as he seems on his last legs?

Wasnt this one chosen because he wasn't from italy or spain (both big power groups) and was known as a traditionalist?

Maybe we'll get a progressive pope - seems unlikely but you never know...

A progressive pope eh? He gonna have lightshows and stuff at his blessings?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Rick Wakeman is going to contribute to Sunday mass I believe.

Bodhi

Ah excellent. And what of the Syd Barrett to provide the communal wine rumours?

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
Are there league tables or something with seasonal stats?

:p

I think that since the pope is elected by the established church, he probably wont be anything but a tired old man spouting the same message the church wants you to hear. No "pope in sneakers using profuse language", talkin' shit bout his beaches.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi rynnor

For what it's worth, I believe Cardinal Dionigi Tettamanzi, the Archbishop of Milan, may well be chosen as the next Pope should the worst happen to Pope Jean Paul II (he's well respected but still considered rather conservative).

Kind Regards

Damini

Part of the furniture
I wonder if this new pope will actually do anything to confront the bullshit some hardliners are spreading about condoms not helping in the fight against HIV, and being a sin.

Would be nice, wouldn't it?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
someone from the council of cardinals. I'm not all that clued in on the subject. my personal irk, not that I *really* mind as I'm not religous, is that the popes always seem to be really old men. Pope JP2 actually was a "young" pope starting out at um 60-something iirc. also iirc he was a pretty hot skier in his day, which endears him to me somewhat. also the "pope for life" thing bugs the hell (sic) out of me. when they get on a bit you litterally get to watch them die, as they are always in the public eye. now death is a part of life, fair enough, but I am hard pressed to see dignity in the way JP2 is at the moment :(

I'd really love to see a young(ish), progressive pope to take the church into the future, with amongst others a modern view of sex, contraceptives, youth culture and stuff like that. times change, and humanity discovers new things all the time. the church should too imo.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
100014.jpg

respect me biznaches

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Well the list should between Myself and Lenny Henry's version of the pope.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Clearly it will be me!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
IT should be Prince (formelly known as formelly known as artist).

He has a song about being the pope for petes sake.

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
It's not as far as I know a job for life, several Popes have retired, or been retired due to either illness, madness or plain uselessness.

I read somewhere that their is a prophesy about Popes and that this one, JP2, is the penultimate Pope. After him comes the one who will wage the war against the Anti-Christ, do the Armageddon scene at the end of the New Testament and generally fulfill 2000ish years of guilt in the end times.

This of course may be complete bullshit, but it is bandied about as the reason, the poor man is kept on the Papal Throne, when he really should be pensioned off.

Later

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
is that so? ooh wasn't aware of that! I hope this doesn't mean Arnie will be the next pope though! oO

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Gengi said:
<snip>I read somewhere that their is a prophesy about Popes and that this one, JP2, is the penultimate Pope. After him comes the one who will wage the war against the Anti-Christ, do the Armageddon scene at the end of the New Testament and generally fulfill 2000ish years of guilt in the end times.</snip>

Amagad, G.W.Bush is the next pope? :eek7:

Wait...does the anti-christ have large amounts of oil stashed aweh? ;)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
FuzzyLogic said:
Amagad, G.W.Bush is the next pope? :eek7:

Wait...does the anti-christ have large amounts of oil stashed aweh? ;)

Nah, it's a well known fact that Hell is coal-fired.

Bodhi

TdC said:
is that so? ooh wasn't aware of that! I hope this doesn't mean Arnie will be the next pope though! oO

Really? I heard it was going to be Jack Bauer. He's gonna win Armageddon in less than 24 hours, and will even have time to stop for advert breaks!

anattic

Fledgling Freddie
rynnor said:
Well, Paddy Power have a book open on the Papacy.

The going is apparently "Good-to-Firm"...

rynnor

Rockhound
anattic said:
Well, Paddy Power have a book open on the Papacy.

The going is apparently "Good-to-Firm"...

Fantastic!!!! I hope there wont be any doping allegations or complaints about too much use of the whip when the race is run...

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
I had not heard the nonsence about the penultimate pope before, yet a quick google reveals that "St. Malachi was gifted with miracles and prophecy. In 1132 he succeeded to archbishopric of Armagh, but resigned in 1138 to take a journey to Rome to visit Pope Innocent III. En route, he visited St. Bernard (who later wrote St. Malachi's biography) at Clairvaux, France. There he wrote his famous prophecy predicting 112 individual Popes by name from Celestine II (1143-1144) to the very end of the Papacy."

De Labore Solis (Labor of the Sun): Pope John Paul II was born during a total eclipse of the sun.

De Gloria Olivae (Glory of the Olive), number 110, will be the penultimate Pope, according to St. Malachi.

Peter Romanus (Peter of Rome); St. Malachi gave more details about the last Pope:

During the final persecution of the Holy Roman Catholic Church there will sit upon the throne Peter the Roman, who will pasture his flock in the midst of many tribulations. With these passed, the city of the hills will be destroyed, and the awful judge will judge the peoples.

Source

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
Although under further googling its pretty much proven to be all cock as this website has John Paull II down as "the work of the sun" as 'he travelled a lot', and also because 'under his reign they decided Galileo was correct when he said the earth went around the sun'

You can read what you like into anything I suppose...

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
Whats interesting about the run for the papacy is that after the requisite Italian the next two forerunners aren't European, one being Nigerian the other Cuban.

rynnor

Rockhound
I must say hes held on longer than I expected due to the miracles of modern medicine but its been a bit farcical to have the Catholic church lead for the past few months by a man suffering from Parkinsons who cannot eat or speak.

Surely someone could have made the decision to let him stand down?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Parkinson's is not the same as Alzheimer's you know.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Personally I vote for Archbishop Pius Ncube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom