Next generation CPU's?

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Ordered new components to build a new comp today and decided on a p4 3.0ghz(800mhz)1mb Prescot processor. This is admittedly a powerfull processor but i was kinda wondering if im making a mistake getting a new processor at this time since ive heard rumors about the next generation INtel processors beeing out soon.
Does anyone know when we can expect them and if they will be significantly more powerfull than the the current crop?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
i cant honestly see any reason to wait. the current CPU's more then well handles everything u can wish for. only reason to wait for the next generation of CPU's is just coz u want it. not that u need it...

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Well, also thinking about the fact that when new stuff comes out older stuff becomes cheaper :) Hate buying something that then takes a large pricefall a couple weeks later^^

Khale

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:
Well, also thinking about the fact that when new stuff comes out older stuff becomes cheaper :) Hate buying something that then takes a large pricefall a couple weeks later^^

Think about it... wouldn't that be the same if you waited another week? And maybe then something newer is available which you rather like/want and would cost the same as the other thing you could have bought earlier? So in other words if you want a new pc then get one now don't wait till later cause you only want a better one then again anyway.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Fana said:

then u wont be doing anything other THEN waiting. as every few weeks theres something "new" and "improved" comming out, wich makes the older stuff cheaper.. u cant really think like that when ur buying PC parts as u wont be doing anything other then waiting for the next pricefall...

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
intels next gen cpu's will be 64 bit like amd's

but not even a desktop 64 operating system yet

Kalid

Fledgling Freddie
There are 64-bit desktop OS, just not windows.

Anyway Intels 4.0 ghz won't come be released this year, so waiting for new Intel processors would be a waste of time. In the light of the Lindenhurst glitch and the statement from Intel saying their employees needs to focus more on quality I doubt there will be any new release of a cpu b4 the 4 ghz (this is my personal belief mind you). Also the Smithfield, with dual cores, are at least 1+ year away.

The cash you might have saved to wait for a cheaper cpu has to be weight against the "fun and use" of your new 3 ghz cpu. If you having a blast with the new cpu I'd say it's well worth the cash!

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the info, just wanted to make sure the new line wasnt coming out in like a month or so, since i have a 2,53(533)p4 in my old machine and could have used that in the new and gotten a celeron or something for the old machine (will be a botcomp) if there was any use in waiting alil while for the new generation :) But if the next generation is 6+ months away or even a year then there is as you say little point in waiting (and i hear the amd64bit processors dont make much difference with todays applications).

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Make sure you have a big old heatsink fan on that Precott, them puppies run damn hot.

Kalid

Fledgling Freddie
more affordable is relative, FX-53 is still like €900 ... pretty expensive for my wallet :p. Sure there are some other amd64 you can get pretty cheap though.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Kalid said:
more affordable is relative, FX-53 is still like €900 ... pretty expensive for my wallet :p. Sure there are some other amd64 you can get pretty cheap though.

Why would you buy an FX53 when you can get the 3500 which is less than 5% slower than the FX53 for alot less than half the price? The FX line if for hardcore overclockers with more money than sense ;)

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
cHodAX said:
Why would you buy an FX53 when you can get the 3500 which is less than 5% slower than the FX53 for alot less than half the price? The FX line if for hardcore overclockers with more money than sense ;)

Athlon 3400/3500 seem the way to go after seeing the doom 3 benchmarks and the prices they cost.

Honza

Fledgling Freddie
100% agree with Khale. It's neverending cycle.

1. You wait month for price down of new uber stuff.
2. new stuff will come out and is expensive like hell
3. go to point one.

Considering Prescott... don't know what to think about this CPU. Definitely Intel could have tried harder.

And considering 64 bit OS... Yes, there are versions of Windows XP Pro and Windows 2003 that support and run 64bit CPUs, although I am not sure how deep the implementation reaches. OTOH, it took 10 years+- after 16bit applications disappeared when 32bit CPU came.

Kalid

Fledgling Freddie
Honza said:
And considering 64 bit OS... Yes, there are versions of Windows XP Pro and Windows 2003 that support and run 64bit CPUs, although I am not sure how deep the implementation reaches. OTOH, it took 10 years+- after 16bit applications disappeared when 32bit CPU came.

Actually the XP 64-bit is an old beta and now the development should resume as SP2 is done. The rumour also says the 64-bit will be OEM* only, however MS is looking into letting people trade their old 32-bit XP _PRO_ for the 64-bit version

* PC builders might chose to send the OS with their systems or you could buy "some" hardware and XP 64-bit.

Honza

Fledgling Freddie
Kalid said:
Actually the XP 64-bit is an old beta and now the development should resume as SP2 is done. The rumour also says the 64-bit will be OEM* only, however MS is looking into letting people trade their old 32-bit XP _PRO_ for the 64-bit version

* PC builders might chose to send the OS with their systems or you could buy "some" hardware and XP 64-bit.

Aye, true... My friend has computer shop and already received XP SP2 CD (on M$ promo action or st like that, maybe for dealership or so)... and that version has both 32bit and 64bit, but it's quite far from 'public version'... more likely it looks like SELECT edition.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Kalid said:

you can d/l windows xp 64 staight from here
1 year eval version that is.

rumor has it that some big boys(HP) already have oem's

nick

Fledgling Freddie
I'd wait till PCI Express has arrived for the AMD64 platform and then buy an AMD64 3500 for the new chipset with a 6800 GT PCI Express graphics card.

Kalid

Fledgling Freddie
sibanac said:
you can d/l windows xp 64 staight from here
1 year eval version that is.

rumor has it that some big boys(HP) already have oem's

"Support
This program provides an opportunity to preview the next generation of Windows XP 64-Bit Edition while the product is still under development. This product is intended for testing and evaluation purposes only. It should not be used for production purposes, and should not be placed in a production environment."

Notice "the product is still under development".

Of course the "big boys" have access to the 64-bit version - so they can adapt their system to run the OS. They however do not have the final product, since it's not finished yet ;)

Kalid

Fledgling Freddie
By the way I read in the news Intel will release a P4EE 3.73 mhz (and a slower 3.46mhz) with 1066 mhz memory bus. CPU and the i925XE releases will probably happend sometime during 4th quarter.

nick

Fledgling Freddie
There's 2 versions of 64 bit Windows XP:

Prerelease: Windows XP Professional for 64-bit Extended Systems - Build 1218 - (English)

This 64-bit version of Windows supports 64-bit Extended systems such as AMD Opteron and AMD Athlon64.

and

Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003 (English)

Microsoft has now introduced Windows® XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003, with support for the Itanium 2 processor, to meet the demands of technical workstation users who require large amounts of memory and floating point performance in areas such as mechanical design and analysis, 3D animation, video editing and composition, and scientific and high-performance computing applications.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Went with a p4 2.8(800) prescott in the end (apparently prescots overclock pretty safely anyway), also got a motherboard from abit that is one of only a few models that actually have altered power circuitry for prescotts (as opposed to only changing some stuff in the BIOS), so prescotts are supposed to run better (less hot, better performance etc) on this board. Guess we will see when the parts arrive. Have always used intel processors so went with it over an amd cause of nostalgic reasons :p

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Kalid said:
"Support
This program provides an opportunity to preview the next generation of Windows XP 64-Bit Edition while the product is still under development. This product is intended for testing and evaluation purposes only. It should not be used for production purposes, and should not be placed in a production environment."

Notice "the product is still under development".

Of course the "big boys" have access to the 64-bit version - so they can adapt their system to run the OS. They however do not have the final product, since it's not finished yet ;)

Anyone with an msdn kit should have a beta version, i know i do... It's such a shame though that 64bit chips have taken so long to come out especially when the alpha has been around for donkeys.

Honza

Fledgling Freddie
It has always been like that. I remember times when my parents bought 486 SX/33 computer. Technician who handed over that pc told us they already seen pentium computer. That time it was purely restricted for military use. I have no slightest misdoubts about that history is just repeating.

I think in secret military instalation you would find quantum-based computers so high tech we could hardly run it.

Kalid

Fledgling Freddie
Honza said:
It has always been like that. I remember times when my parents bought 486 SX/33 computer. Technician who handed over that pc told us they already seen pentium computer. That time it was purely restricted for military use. I have no slightest misdoubts about that history is just repeating.

I think in secret military instalation you would find quantum-based computers so high tech we could hardly run it.

Also some old stuff you wouldn't dream of. Recently the US militairy announced they were upgrading some of their old systems. These contained applications made in basic for DOS.

Honza

Fledgling Freddie
Kalid said:
Also some old stuff you wouldn't dream of. Recently the US militairy announced they were upgrading some of their old systems. These contained applications made in basic for DOS.
In fact MS-DOS 6.22 was most stabile system ever. I really understand why they stand with it so long.
OFC, what u speak about is general military stuff. Special hall computers no doubt run on operating system you will never hear about and run applications that you will never see (which is pity, I'd really like to peek just from curiosity ;-))

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom