Next-gen consoles

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
God damn, I just don't think I can wait another 6+ months :D After following the Microsoft and Sony launches this week I am so excited about the next-gen I can't put it into words. Some of the trailers and screenshots on http://ve3d.ign.com/?fromint=1 over the last few days have just blown my mind. So... I decided to make this post to see if anyone else is excited as I am and if so which console if not all will you be going for. Personally I don't think anyone will be disappointed with any of the 3, they all have the potential to deliver some stunning stuff. I will probably get an Xbox 360 in November and then the PS3 next summer, Nintendo have a great machine but their third-party support hasn't impressed me at all over the last decade. The one thing you can say about Sony and Microsoft is that there consoles have a huge variety of games for people of all ages, Nintendo seem to aim for the younger audience and largely ignore the adult market apart from games like Resident Evil 4 and sadly there aren't many games like that on an Nintendo platform to date.

Now I just need a HDTV, anyone have £2000 to spare? :D ;)

Ezteq

Queen of OT
i had a sega master system...with built in sonic the hedgehog woo <cough>

when i was teeny we had an atari lynx that you plugged in to the back of the tv and a joystick with one button on it lol the games were all cubey and slow but tbh had more fun on that little baby than on the sega, which wasnt much lol then in later yeas i remember playing FF7 on a playstation i played it for about 7 or 8 hours and by the end of it when my eyes were on stalks i still had NO CLUE WTF I WAS DOING!!!! maybe this is because i was born senile or maybe im missing something.

So anyway game stations never really did it for me.
But i hope you have fun when you get your new thingimejigs mate :wub:

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Zelda vid is sexy, but really I was expecting that level of GFX from the Gamecube.

Consoles are getting silly fast now, the PS3 chip can hold it's own against supercomputers, god knows how rhe games companies are going to keep writing stuff for them, soon you'll see 100 million dollar games.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
I know what you meen - I saw the spec for the XBox and thought mmmm maybe Microsoft will get my cash this year.

But then two days later, the info on PS3 was released, and if you can get past the 70's look of the console and rather "adult toy" image of the controller, its going to blow the socks of everything else.

Watched the demo of Killzone and thought the intro looked good, but then to find out that wasnt the intro, its actual in game rendered footage was just mind blowing.

xBox - PowerPC processor and ATI graphics with DVD drive
PS3 - Cell processor (twice the calculations of xBox) the latest Nvidia chips, that apparently are better than two Geforce 6800 Ultra's running in tandam, and then this Blueray drive, 4 times the space of a DVD
:eek2:

M$ will get the initial rush as they release before xmass, but theres no doubt for me PS3 will win the 2006 console war.

Ohh and microsoft havent said anything about backward compatability, but PS3 will run all PS2 and PS titles (apparently)

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
actually xbox has 3 power pc processors each clocked at 3.2Ghz, I think the poster above has caught playstation tunnel vision :p

Oh and by the way xbox 360 is backwards compatable... read it in the paper today.

I'll be buying an xbox 360.

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
the PS3 looking impressive so far esp the FF7 tech pre-view :) which gives me hope they are remaking it .. which would be great as long as they dont change the story xD cause they would be evil if they do anyone intrested the video is here :)

video <<-- btw this is rendered in real time.. GIVE GIVE GIVE!!!

also the new Zelda looks mint for the Gamecube showing what it could really do.. shame they didnt work on it.. and left it so l8. :<

im not an Xbox fan never have been.. mainly cuase I think microsoft are a bunch of t**ts lol.. but saying that its looks.. good..but I think the psp3 looks the most promising form what I have seen so far.. and they still have by far the most support from 3'rd party supplyers :) plus sony have earned respect with there consol.. microsoft brought theres.. <cough> nothing new there :p

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
DocWolfe said:
actually xbox has 3 power pc processors each clocked at 3.2Ghz, I think the poster above has caught playstation tunnel vision :p

Oh and by the way xbox 360 is backwards compatable... read it in the paper today.

from what I know this is wrong.. yes it can do it.. but it might not happen for legal resons :E but this is what I have read so I could be wrong :)

Litmus

Resident Freddy
DocWolfe said:

what is backwards compatable?

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
Litmus said:
what is backwards compatable?

means it will work with xbox 1 games :eek:

and also the xbox 360 looks bloddy crap :eek: my god I think the design team where blind :eek:

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
ppffft another console traditionalist :p ps3 just looks like a ps2 but with a curve, and the nintendo revolution just looks like a duplo block :p 360 has the best design by far imo and it has wireless controllers and wireless network capabilites, straight out the box.

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
DocWolfe said:
If only sega still made consoles ;)

saga roxed :eek: then again i was an avid sonic fan in my youth xD and still pay some soinc Adventue on my Dreamcast :eek: I agree the PS3 looks a lot like the PS2.. but I think it works.. the new Nintendo consol looked a little crap.. but as they said @ E3 its not there final design. after just watching Microsoft @ E3 I have to say they have a good marketing team.. but I still dont like the consol and I dont think it will be on par with the PS3 but only time will tell.. Nintendo have a lot of catching up todo :eek:, well I just burned 4h of my left watching E3 from nintendo, Sony and Microsoft that I will never get back lol.. but I think Sony will be getting my money... rox on 2006!

DavidH

Part of the furniture
I've bought every single console since I was 6 years old. (Ok, so I didn't exactly buy them myself before I hit 10) so I'm definitely gonna do some shopping when these babies hit the market. As for now, I'm having almost too much fun with PSP. ;)

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I'm a Sony Fan Boi so I'll be sticking with the Playstation, never intended to buy or own any Mircrosoft console :/

Though, I'm expecting the XB360 to look totally kick ass, I still think the PS2 (One of the two designs, not totally sure which one is official. I think it's the silver one) looks so tasty.

GIFV FF7! I DEMAND FFNESS! *drools* <-- FF boi.

PS3:

11163150382.jpg

XBOX 360:

xbox360.jpg

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
DocWolfe said:
ppffft another console traditionalist :p ps3 just looks like a ps2 but with a curve, and the nintendo revolution just looks like a duplo block :p 360 has the best design by far imo and it has wireless controllers and wireless network capabilites, straight out the box.

Yup the xbox looks better - but the PS3 also has wireles lan (and wired lan) out of the box, and also comes with a bluetooth wireless controller, and suppoirts up to 6 more - apparently theres a limit of 8 devices on a bluetooth network, console+7 controllers

The xbox may have 3 processors, but with the Cell PS3 effectively has 7 it has way more grunt.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Square Enix: Traitor Bastards.

Final Fantasy

In a significant move, it announced a partnership with Square Enix. The Japanese game publisher has in the past made games for Nintendo and Sony.

The first fruits of the new deal will be a 360 version of the role-playing fantasy game Final Fantasy XI.

The Xbox 360 can stand on its end or on its side
The Final Fantasy series has sold more than 60 million copies worldwide.

Among the other titles heading for the console is the popular fighting game Dead or Alive 4.

The games giant Electronic Arts, which makes games for all current consoles, also stressed its commitment to the 360.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Go out and watch the video for killzone for the X-Box 2 (not bloody 3-60).

It's ingame footage and...blew me away,

Maybe arsed to find it later :D

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
old.Tohtori said:

I did mean gears of war...

Killzone is for the PS3...which blew my mind as well. My minds been blown with a lot of stuff lately.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Tears said:
I know what you meen - I saw the spec for the XBox and thought mmmm maybe Microsoft will get my cash this year.

But then two days later, the info on PS3 was released, and if you can get past the 70's look of the console and rather "adult toy" image of the controller, its going to blow the socks of everything else.

Watched the demo of Killzone and thought the intro looked good, but then to find out that wasnt the intro, its actual in game rendered footage was just mind blowing.

xBox - PowerPC processor and ATI graphics with DVD drive
PS3 - Cell processor (twice the calculations of xBox) the latest Nvidia chips, that apparently are better than two Geforce 6800 Ultra's running in tandam, and then this Blueray drive, 4 times the space of a DVD
:eek2:

M$ will get the initial rush as they release before xmass, but theres no doubt for me PS3 will win the 2006 console war.

Ohh and microsoft havent said anything about backward compatability, but PS3 will run all PS2 and PS titles (apparently)

Tears, the Killzone devs today admited that the footage shown was pre-rendered as the game is only in early alpha and a long way from being anywhere near that level. As for power, the X360 has a triple core cpu that can excute 6 instructions in paralell at 3.2ghz. That is 5 times the raw power of a top PC, the PS3 probably has theoretically a little more power but then so did the PS2 but we all know that it was a bitch to get the best performance from it, it has taken 4 years for developers to really push the PS2. All the next gen consoles are superb and all of them have similar performance, the test will be how good the middleware is and how easy the platform it is to develop for. Please, please don't believe the hype and quote rumours, in 6 months we will know more but as it stands all 3 consoles kick some serious ass.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
UndyingAngel said:
from what I know this is wrong.. yes it can do it.. but it might not happen for legal resons :E but this is what I have read so I could be wrong :)

Totally utterly wrong, Microsoft have developed an emulation layer that allows the console to run the Nvidia Geforce 3 (Xbox) code on ATi hardware. They don't need a licence to do that as they already paid Nvidia many times over for the development of the Xbox graphics subsystem, DirectX is the most important part and Microsoft own that lock stick and barrel. It is a fairly simple bit of code in truth, this is why we have Playstation/SNES/MEgadrive/3DO/Amiga etc. emulators running on the PC at 500-600% the performance of the original console and the X360 will be able to run Xbox games in it's sleep.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
DocWolfe said:

Don't forget the built in 20gb harddrive and free Xbox Live silver package. Sony are going to be charging for all of that and then you have the reported costs of the consoles, $450 for the PS3 (no harddrive) and $350 X360 (with 20gb harddrive). As for design, none of the 3 designs impress me that much, they all look like TV setop boxes or external modems but all that really matters to me is the hardware perfomance and the quality of the games and I honestly believe that all 3 consoles are going to have some great games.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
old.Tohtori said:

It is pre-rendered, the devs admited that it was concept footage of what the actual game will look like and not the actual engine runningin real time.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Tears said:
Yup the xbox looks better - but the PS3 also has wireles lan (and wired lan) out of the box, and also comes with a bluetooth wireless controller, and suppoirts up to 6 more - apparently theres a limit of 8 devices on a bluetooth network, console+7 controllers

The xbox may have 3 processors, but with the Cell PS3 effectively has 7 it has way more grunt.

Xbox has 3 cpu's that can excute 2 threads in parallel, so it is effectivly 6 v's 7. The X360 cores also has 3 very fast 128bit Altivec processors built in so let me assure you the consoles are very evenly matched, anything you have read (such as PS3 being x3 as powerful) is just rumour and hype but lets not argue, by this time next year we will all be able to see and judge for ourselves. Everyone wins :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
old.Tohtori said:
I did mean gears of war...

Killzone is for the PS3...which blew my mind as well. My minds been blown with a lot of stuff lately.

I have to agree that Gears of War is the best looking game that we have acually seen real time ingame footage from at this point, all the Final Fantasy stuff was a mixture of pre-rendered footage and concept engine footage but was not a running version of the game. Epic (developers of the Unreal 3 engine) have done a stunning job and they already have over 20 licencees for there engine on X360 and PS3, hell even Sony and Microsoft were that blown away that they have purchased multiple licences. This time next year we are going to see a truckload of games using that engine, hell there are a couple of MMORPG's in development using it as well :D

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
And then we have the Test Drive Unlimited.

If it's pictures from ingame, it's gonna blow all other driving games of the map with the visuals. And what i remember, TD was a great game also.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
old.Tohtori said:
And then we have the Test Drive Unlimited.

If it's pictures from ingame, it's gonna blow all other driving games of the map with the visuals. And what i remember, TD was a great game also.

Agreed although Project Gotham Racing 3 looks to be superior in my opinion. One more thing, all these trailers are running on SDK development machines that only have 33% of the power that the final X360 will have so many of the games don't have the anti-aliasing enabled and are not running in 1080progressive resolution. The finished hardware should be utterly stunning, same goes for PS3 and Rev, I don't want to biased in this because all 3 consoles are awesome. As for Gears of War here is the link to the stunning ingame realtime footage, it made me weep like a liddul babah :)

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/747/747891/vids_1.html?fromint=1

Get the E3 2005 trailer, not the one with the fat bloke talking ;)

Word of warning for dial-up users, that is one fat bastard trailer, the high-res 160mb version is breathtaking but you have to be an IGN member. I will try find a free site with it on later and post linkage.

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
I'll not buy a X box out of princaple, its a PC with a built in OS, Microsoft makes good games like Halo that they don't release for the PC untill a year or so after.

I'll wait untill some of the games come out...which ever has the best rpgs i'll buy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom