news -Temporary shutdown of Prydwen

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
[24-08-2005] Temporary shutdown of Prydwen

Official News
Several bugs have appeared on Prydwen since yesterday, which mainly concerns the loss of chat channels and some cases of character corruption. Despite our efforts and those of Mythic made to solve these malfunctions as soon as possible, the situation did not get better.

As a preventive measure, we closed the server until the resolve of these bugs. Of course, this leads to the postponement of the Prydwen-Excalibur clustering that we had scheduled for Thursday the 25th - at the same time as the French servers, Carnac and Orcanie.

We will, of course, do everything possible for a quick return to normal of Prydwen and the server clustering will take place quickly after that. [...]

:m00:

Zede

Part of the furniture
no need for moans tbh, this was INEVITABLE :p

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Aye wondering how long will this temporary shutdown last altho?
My guess is that it won't be short :/

Outlander

Part of the furniture
well they 1st tried to fix things yesterday with a reboot and that didnt work :p so I guess its a major problem and server will be down for 100 years or so :p

such d0000m :D

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Gahn said:
Aye wondering how long will this temporary shutdown last altho?
My guess is that it won't be short :/

Mthic /GoA have most likely already worked out a worst case scenario, they will have a cut off time for when they cant keep the server offline.

If they cant fix it in an acceptable ammount of time, they will rollback to last known good config, and then give you +days on your account for screwing up.

I just hope they fix it, and quick :)

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Since you can access other servers, giving free days can be a questionable move, and there are a lot of customers who don't play on prydwen, either you give free days to all, or to none.

Rollback: Some think it is an ultimate solution, but in most cases it isn't for a very simple reason: There is no insurance the problem won't reappear in same amount of time counting from the good configuration. So you don't know about hidden flaws. :)

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Imho it isn't only GOAs fault, and it isn't Mythics fault, since it is getting pretty unique to GOA servers. Lets see why we have the problem:

1st: Lack of test community (Like Pendragon players) and willingness to help testing
2nd: Lack of a community where you can solve problems without turning into flame fest
3rd: Mythic can't realy see what is going on on GOA servers, so they can face unexpected problems. Also they can't spot hidden flaws because they reach to bigger problems.

Not many people from GOA know how realy the servers work, and how stuff is coded, this can result in policy differences and other problems :)

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
10 quid say's you'll get a free day on your subs.

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
Esse do you ever stop making assumptions?

It's just hillarious to see you go on your rampages ... you assume something .. people agree or disagree with it, you don't really seem to even take notice of this ... and in your next post you build on this assumption as if it's now a hard fact ...

Keep it up you make reading FH so much more enjoyable!

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
We've seen very similar issues on one of German servers and Excal for a while sometime ago, at least we should be happy it was before cluster not after else we'd have all English servers shut down :)

Leathas

Fledgling Freddie
Esselinithia said:
Not many people from GOA know how realy the servers work, and how stuff is coded, this can result in policy differences and other problems :)

damn,Im impressed how you know this much even without working with mythic/goa.

or please tell me if you worked with them.

suelothvar

Fledgling Freddie
Hope there isnt a bloody role back i lost 2.5 levs when i logged on, talked to a gm and asked if i should play while rightnow investigate wheremy levels went, and was told "play as you normaly would" (have screenshot) so I went and exped back the levs i lost.

needless to say i WONT be bloody happy if i log in find goa rolled back and lost my bloody levels aGAIN!!!!

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
GOA people several times said, they don't have access to the source code :) To understand a program you need Source code, including comments, and lot of documentation used by developers. :)

Litmus

Resident Freddy
Esselinithia said:
GOA people several times said, they don't have access to the source code :) To understand a program you need Source code, including comments, and lot of documentation used by developers. :)

i'd love to know where you get your info from.

do you have a robotic mouse with a hidden camera in and drive it around goa office all day or smt?

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
GOA GMs themself said, they don't have access to most of the code, and a lot of stuff is to be changed by Mythic. Anyone who done ANY programming knows, to understand a program you need to know the algorith, and the source code involved :)

Righthandof

Fledgling Freddie
Esselinithia said:
Imho it isn't only GOAs fault, and it isn't Mythics fault, since it is getting pretty unique to GOA servers. Lets see why we have the problem:

1st: Lack of test community (Like Pendragon players) and willingness to help testing
2nd: Lack of a community where you can solve problems without turning into flame fest
3rd: Mythic can't realy see what is going on on GOA servers, so they can face unexpected problems. Also they can't spot hidden flaws because they reach to bigger problems.

wtf, of course it's the game creaters fault. we pay for this game, spend this money to hire a proper staff, who can manage with some server patchings. QQ.

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
there is a form of programming called black box coding, where you see a program and you reverse engineer it based on doing certain things to the program. Eventually you can work out what the program does and how the algorithms work :D

but its probbley true goa have access to the development tools aka gm tools for doing stuff. But the hard code behind everything is locked up by mythic which is why when stuff has to be sorted out it gets sent to mythic.

Its easy to judge but unless you have coded a program more than

10 print "QQ noob"
20 goto 10.

then probbly best being quiet :p

anywho i checked my tic and he was ok (not played on him for a while) so nothing peeps can do really.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Just got into work, thought i would check the status of Prydwen and it is still down.... Wonder how many emergency meetings are going on at GoA hq this morning, and i wonder if mythic stayed up late to identfy the problem...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom