[NEWS] Lag on sunday

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Thought i would predict the news on monday (or forum posting)

[17-01-2005] Network issues

On sunday some players may have experienced lag or disconnects on all of our servers. We have investigated the problem and it was our internal internet gateway that was causing a problem. The network engineers are dealing with the problem and it should be back to normal later on today. We were unable to deal with the problem on Sunday as calling out an engineer cost us money.

We are monitoring our network, and if we notice an increase in network latency or lag, we will immediately blame Opentransit, and request you send in pingplots.

Opentransit being the national backbone provider in France, are not able to trace connections over there own network. It costs them money and time to monitor there own network and therefore have requested more traceroutes from players.

Over the next three months Opentransit will be testing the network, so you should expect the LD's and Lag to stay. You hav had Lag for three months now and should be use to it.

We will also be resticting the number of players on each server to reduce lag, starting from Feburary we will only allow 30 players on each server.

GoA are committed to providing you with the best gaming experience we can give, therfore in february we will be increasing the Subscription rate, this is so we can buy new servers for the upcoming catacombs expansion

On behalf of the GOA staff we sincerely apologize for the trouble you have experienced the last few days. Know that your woes and feedback do not go unheard.

:m00:

legaoniel

One of Freddy's beloved
hmm..

..I don't think they'll have to limit them to 30 if this continues.. but it's a damned shame, isn't it? I've put a LOT of time into all my characters/alts and yes, I've enjoyed it - at the moment though both my accounts are inactive - can't see the point really if the lag is as it has been..

I'll carry on monitoring via this forum - the plan was to come back with the launch of catacombs - but if they don't fix the lag..well, it would be a great pity but I'm not paying for something broken - and as for ping plots / traceroutes etc - can't they realise that the lag issue is killing off the game more than anything else - and asking us to effectively prove that there actually is a problem - I'm sorry, I have supported GOA numerous times in the past - but this is too much, I'm afraid..

Minau

Loyal Freddie
[18-01-2005] Population issues

Due to the fact that 99.99% of our
subscrivers has canceled their
subscriptions, we are now forced to
close down the servers.
We are complete dumbasses and
have no idea why this happend.

PS: to the rr2l7 scout who is camping
under crau docks yelling "LFG" you are the
last 0.1% and will be awarded with a free
T-shirt.

Marath

Fledgling Freddie
DrunkSkunk said:
haha.. :worthy:

ps.. its so true it could be real :clap:

Yeah it would prolly be funny if I hadnt cancelled myself as lag made playing sb impossible. No1 will prolly even notice though. :)

PS. Love the Serra Angel ;)

MaditioN

Can't get enough of FH
Minau said:
[18-01-2005] Population issues

Due to the fact that 99.99% of our
subscrivers has canceled their
subscriptions, we are now forced to
close down the servers.
We are complete dumbasses and
have no idea why this happend.

PS: to the rr2l7 scout who is camping
under crau docks yelling "LFG" you are the
last 0.1% and will be awarded with a free
T-shirt.

rofl xD

Kelan

Fledgling Freddie
Lag stems back to Feb last year. :eek6:

Good post btw :D

Strike strike strike i say :)

Grayedd

Fledgling Freddie
Must admit today has been the worst lag I have yet experienced.!!!! There must be something that can be done. :mad:

Sugah

Fledgling Freddie
Grayedd said:
Must admit today has been the worst lag I have yet experienced.!!!! There must be something that can be done. :mad:

I hear wow is nice this time of year

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
you people do realise that Wow's head quarters are based in france as well as goa ? the chances are their servers arnt too far away (although cant say 100%)

if your not getting the same lag as goa then its probbly because.

1. its not an opentransit issue
2. the servers are hosted somewhere else (although this doenst seem like a realistic situation)

anywho yes lag is very very very very very anoying but only thing you can do is to take action with your feet and fly to wow. and when the lag is identical then whine at them :)

took us an hour to get into iarn lair today because of the lag deaths and ldding. yes it was anoying but we still exped and had fun because some of the fun was coming from "am i going to be alive after this pull"

when the lag finally disapears and i hope for goa's sake it does the game will just go back to the usall whines ;)

i personally would prefer goa get on at distribution and advertisment so we can get some fresh faces so we can get a third english server so that we got some more choice than.

1. Prdywen
2. Excalibur
3. CAmlaan (i dont want to play pvp because the realms full of tards)

dont like pvp at all dont like the mentality i find the server type is similar to playing counterstrike against people sat in the same room telling everyone where people are not fun for starting peeps :(

Jobil

Fledgling Freddie
scorge said:
We were unable to deal with the problem on Sunday as calling out an engineer cost us money.
:m00:
that one made me chuckle.

wtf do i care if it costs you money? i pay you to spent money on stuff like this when theres a problem xD

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
scorge said:
. We were unable to deal with the problem on Sunday as calling out an engineer cost us money.

WTF???? :eek2:

Awarkle said:
you people do realise that Wow's head quarters are based in france as well as goa ? the chances are their servers arnt too far away (although cant say 100%)

if your not getting the same lag as goa then its probbly because.

1. its not an opentransit issue
2. the servers are hosted somewhere else (although this doenst seem like a realistic situation)

Ive been playing WoW beta for some weeks and havent experienced any lag spike yet, nothing, niente, nada. Just one server crash during 5 minutes the other day. Would be nice to know why, if its true that both game servers are based in France and dependant from the backbone of OT, one game experiences lag n the other doesnt :eek6:

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
What do you expect when the servers are based in a third world country!

LD twice and 2 lag deaths last night. Was no fun at all. Group members constantly loosing stick and lagging in every fight. In the end I gave up and watched TV. Seriously thinking about cancelling my subs. I don't get that much playtime due to RL and if this is how it is going to be (unplayable) then I'm not interested. Maybe GOA would take people seriously if everyone cancelled their subs for a month or two. A serious dent in their wallet might convince them the issue warrants more than a, 'were working on the problem with Opentransit'.

Dark and Light looks nice :) Not sure about WOW.

Stinkies

Fledgling Freddie
While the company that bring us WoW is located in France, I believe their servers are located in Amsterdam, on the Amsterdam Internet Exchange. Probably one of the best sites in Europe.
But those smelly stingy French bastards only steal our money and give so little back in return. They have been working on network issues for 3 months or so now... If I'm 3 months late with my mortage payments the bank would throw me out of the house.

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
ran a few pingplots over the weekend, and for me, all those huge lagspikes are happening at GOAs server. Overall I got to say, that my connection actually improved with 1.71.
Usually got a LD in the intervalls those lagspikes occure, now it's just a lagspike, but I stay ingame. Only one real LD over the weekend :)

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Cylian said:
ran a few pingplots over the weekend, and for me, all those huge lagspikes are happening at GOAs server. Overall I got to say, that my connection actually improved with 1.71.
Usually got a LD in the intervalls those lagspikes occure, now it's just a lagspike, but I stay ingame. Only one real LD over the weekend :)

Saw the same thing. All the spikes were on the last 3 hops.

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
Well i have to say i'm totaly pee'd off with the service.
on Hib/pry i was able to play somewhat, but on excal i couldnt' last more than 10 mins max without going ld ... so i just quit out and i won't be going back on till i hear that they are doing something on the lagg issue.

Phoebee-v-

Fledgling Freddie
Removed my auto renewal on my account. Won't go WoW for several reasons. See no point on paying for a game that lags so badly that over 40% of the ml raids is canceled due mass LD, then add like 40% canceled raids due bugs on camlann server. Might come back some day. But as for now this crap isn't worth my cash every month.

Deerstalker

Fledgling Freddie
legaoniel said:
can't see the point really if the lag is as it has been..

I'll carry on monitoring via this forum -

1. Toa lag , NF lag was fixed in 1.71 , Toa is very playable now, so is NF when there arnt' the lag spikes.
2. The lag spikes still exist today, sunday night was nearly unplable because of it.

DS

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Yes, I'm seeing lots of router errors (red lines in pingplotter if you have the display of them turned on), and lag, mainly on OpenTransit London (pretty constant on average), and sometimes at GOA end (very bad from about 6:50 last night - bad news as that was during the last fight of ML1. Fortunately we redid it 30 minutes later for those who missed it due to LD).

Darzil

SoWat

Loyal Freddie
I ran Pingplotter, for about an hour, last night and again this morning. This from the UK.

There is infrequent 10% packet loss on 193.251.241.105 (So2-2-0.LONCR1.London.opentransit.net)

The route seems to behave itself for a while, then high pings appear on 193.251.251.54 (WanadooPortails.GW.opentransit.net).

This cascades along the last two hops, the last of which is Prydwen server.

The amount of lag in these spikes varies (from 330ms to 880ms) but it always follows the same pattern.... first WanadooPortails.GW.opentransit.net (193.251.251.54) starts to wobble, immediately followed by 193.252.122.14 and 193.252.123.177 (Prydwen server). The last 2 hops are, presumably, the server farm, as they appear to be on a different subnet to the previous hop.

Tracert isn't much help in this case, as the spikes are so infrequent (can't imagine why OpenTransit want them), but good old PingPlotter reveals all.

All info emailed as requested.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Awarkle said:
only thing you can do is to take action with your feet and fly to wow.

Why assume WoW is the only alternative? Just move to the US DAOC servers, which are playable, cheaper, offer you a chance to play all 3 realms in English, offer a co-op server and an RP server...

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Svartmetall said:
Why assume WoW is the only alternative? Just move to the US DAOC servers, which are playable, cheaper, offer you a chance to play all 3 realms in English, offer a co-op server and an RP server...

You also don't get to wait 928374329 weeks for the latest patch to come over, you actually need to find out things on your own instead of just reading them on a website etc etc.

My vamp there is leveling fast :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
If you want to let GOA know they suck - cancel your subs, I did (not cos of lag, cos daoc in general sucks nuts, but same principle applies) dont pay the wankers to give you shit service.

I used ot support GOA in all of this, and to some extent i still do - but its gone beyond a joke and it is unnacceptable, be it mythics fault or not, its not OUR fault so why should we have to put up with it? I certainly dont anymore, when my subs run out in a week or two, goa will never get another £ off me again.

Tilda

p_ohnoes1.jpg
p_ohnoes1.jpg
http://pics.twerked.com/p_ohnoes1.jpg

Teh servers are lagging!

Vindicator

One of Freddy's beloved
Stop fucking whining about the lag, you have three options really.

A) Quit the fucking game already and move to a game where the makers apperciate listen to there customers but still nobody will be happy with them no doubt.

B) Organise a Mass boycott or 'strike' of payments for a month. Get everybody who is signed up for one month periods at a time to cancel there auto-renewal and not sign up for the next month. Then everybody who agree's to this sends the exact same e-mail to GOA and tell them you wont subsribe again until they seriously adress and deal with the problem. This one is complicated and 'people' in general are too dumb and dis-organised to do it, plus you need a leader to handle it. Seems most people just prefer to whine than take action

Or

C) Shut the fuck up and keep paying for a game you LD every 10 minutes and do nothing about it except blow wind up each other's arses.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Vindicator said:
Stop fucking whining about the lag, you have three options really.

You forgot..

D). Continue to play the game cause you quite like it when it doesnt lag to hell and continue to apply pressure on the people who could possibly fix it by vocal complaints on relevent forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom