Newbie to Quake quesition........

O

old.Gibz

Lo, just thought I'd try Q1 and Q1ctf for a change, (play Q2&3).

Ive downloaded Quake patches/glquake/quakeworld, but a bit confused, does glquake only work for 3dfx cards? Ie is there summat for a Geforce? Also what do I need for ctf as I cant find files anywhere?

Any help or a URL to info mucho appreciated...

O

old.FlameTop

GLQuake is to play the original Quake 1 (aka Net Quake and Quake Classic). For playing on barrysworld servers you need the QuakeWorld client (GLQWCL). While first released for use with 3DFX cards, it should work with any modern OpenGL compatible card (GeForce etc).

For CTF you need the ThreeWave releases. They should be in the Quake 1 dirs of the bw ftp.

FT

H

HangTime

the opengl32.dll bundled with glquake is in fact a 3dfx minigl driver, and should be deleted from your quake directory, so it will use your cards own drivers from the system dir. at the time glquake was released 3dfx didnt have a full opengl ICD and so 3dfx users (the majority of hardcore 3d gamers at the time) needed the file to play in opengl.

qw ctf is pretty much dead now im afraid, team fortress is the only mod with much of a following. tbh the main reason ppl have stuck with QW instead of moving to more recent games is deathmatch teamplay, which is regarded by many (including current top q3 players) as the pinnacle of multiplayer gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom